Walker Issues causing problems on crowded buses.

Lawrence St

Recently, especially on the Bx12, I have, on multiple occasions seen walkers that can be closed remain fully open on crowded buses, causing people to trip and land on other passengers. Some of these passengers like to fold up their Walker and place them on the seats next to them, taking up a whole 3 seats and when I ask for them to move it, they tell me "Are you disabled? No, go find another place to sit." What exatcly is the solution to this?

Short of getting into some type of an altercation, who the hell even knows at this point... I have noticed a sudden influx of those walkers on buses though & to tell the truth, I think some of these people aren't as impaired as they'd have you think (nobody likes to think that old people aren't capable of getting over on people & that is exactly what they bank on).... I haven't seen walkers on seats per se (most don't even bother folding them, having them blocking the aisles in the process), but FWIW, I avoid even sitting anywhere near the front of the bus anymore... My knees would protrude too far into the walking aisle anyway, impeding embarking/disembarking passengers.....

Being around & about Church/Utica av at night, I see more than my fair share of them (people with walkers & canes) farebeating on the B35 & the B46 too..... I smh just about every time & keep on walking....

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Short of getting into some type of an altercation, who the hell even knows at this point... I have noticed a sudden influx of those walkers on buses though & to tell the truth, I think some of these people aren't as impaired as they'd have you think (nobody likes to think that old people aren't capable of getting over on people & that is exactly what they bank on).... I haven't seen walkers on seats per se (most don't even bother folding them, having them blocking the aisles in the process), but FWIW, I avoid even sitting anywhere near the front of the bus anymore... My knees would protrude too far into the walking aisle anyway, impeding embarking/disembarking passengers.....

Being around & about Church/Utica av at night, I see more than my fair share of them (people with walkers & canes) farebeating on the B35 & the B46 too..... I smh just about every time & keep on walking....

It's insane. And then when I say something, I get yelled at because I'm "not being respectful" to my elders.

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

That's *supposed* to be the case here too...

How strictly enforced is it down there in Orlando?

Strictly enforced to a point where there's pre-recorded announcements. I was surprised it wasn't in Spanish

3 hours ago, trife86 said:

We cannot tell people to fold up walkers or any other 'medical assistance devices' hell they can even tell us their shopping cart helps them walk and than it's A-OK. A problem for sure. But I'm no decision maker.....

That's not even fair. I can trip on a walker, hit my head on a pole during the process and get a concussion and it's ok? Absolutely not!

Hell you heard my story placing my groceries at the front and these stroller people get mad that someone with groceries is blocking their stroller.

I want to ask to all members, on the bus today from Walmart I get on and after I board there is a spot where people place their stuff, groceries boxes strollers etc.(on your left when you walk in the front door) I place my big grocery bag nothing else was there at the time  there we get to the bus station it gets crowded then some dude comes and brings a kid and the stroller on(small plastic stroller) is shouting WHOSE BAG IS THIS 3X. I say it's mine and tell him to place it behind my bag. It's like he was mad he couldn't place his stroller in that spot, also what was he gonna do if I had another big bag in this spot or someone placed all their groceries there force em to move it?

Also the stroller people are bad too those who don't fold them

Also some family with baby in strollers are  too lazy. Some people says stroller can't be unfolded.

Sometimes I see tourists try to get on a bus with baby inside until bus driver tells them to fold stroller.

All transit bus company around the world is same policy.

I also seen some person with wheelchair walking his wheelchair up the ramp sometimes.

Archived