Which line is the fastest in general?

R68ACTrain

37 minutes ago, R62A7TrainFan said:

Please tell me what you think about which line is the fastest. To be honest the fastest line for me is the (2)(4)(A)(F) and (E) . What line do you think is the fastest?

Context:

Total runtime?

Average Speed?

Compared to route length and ridership?

Etc.

What is it you're asking?

9 hours ago, R62A7TrainFan said:

Please tell me what you think about which line is the fastest. To be honest the fastest line for me is the (2)(4)(A)(F) and (E) . What line do you think is the fastest?

In terms of total travel time: The 42nd St. (S) 

In terms of speed of the trains: I don't know the technicalities of this, I'd assume though any train with express portions are pretty fast in terms of speed, lines like the (A) and (4) have those regions all over the line as an example and ones like the (E) and (F) are another good example, which go over QBL express. The (A) could be called the fastest due to the long stretch of track it traverses from Howard beach to Broad Channel, where the trains meet speeds in the 30-40 MPH range. Though the (E) and (F) on QBL are also pretty fast as well. 

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

It wouldn't be fair to count Shuttle Routes due to how short they are

They are still regularly scheduled routes of the NYC subway system that are treated and seen as there own lines running on A/B division track. The shortness of them is why they are essentially called shuttles, but that shortness doesn't mean there not part of the same system considered with all the other lines in it. Just my feelings, continue the discussion...

2 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

In terms of total travel time: The 42nd St. (S) 

In terms of speed of the trains: I don't know the technicalities of this, I'd assume though any train with express portions are pretty fast in terms of speed, lines like the (A) and (4) have those regions all over the line as an example and ones like the (E) and (F) are another good example, which go over QBL express. The (A) could be called the fastest due to the long stretch of track it traverses from Howard beach to Broad Channel, where the trains meet speeds in the 30-40 MPH range. Though the (E) and (F) on QBL are also pretty fast as well. 

Just because something is short, doesn't mean it is fast. Would you call the Franklin Avenue Shuttle fast? I wouldn't.

13 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Just because something is short, doesn't mean it is fast. Would you call the Franklin Avenue Shuttle fast? I wouldn't.

I didn't refer to any other shuttle, besides the Times Sq. (S) to state that it was the quickest in travel time, between it's two termini in comparison with all other routes in the system. I didn't state it's trains ran quickly (or short routes = faster trains) which was why I separated the first paragraph from the second paragraph I typed.  

46 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I didn't refer to any other shuttle, besides the Times Sq. (S) to state that it was the quickest in travel time, between it's two termini in comparison with all other routes in the system. I didn't state it's trains ran quickly (or short routes = faster trains) which was why I separated the first paragraph from the second paragraph I typed.  

This discussion concerns speed, not distance.

8 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

This discussion concerns speed, not distance.

I wasn't (and still am) not entirely sure what exactly this discussion's concerning, since "fastest" lines could mean both fastest trains in speed or also fastest trains in overall runtime. It isn't clearly specified in the original post so I chose to give my take on both sides.

Archived