Fair Fares January 2019

Union Tpke

If they  put all this money towards making improvements so trains and buses run on time, people below poverty line would have access to more jobs, be able to get to work on time (many of them have jobs where you get fired for even one or two latenesses), and actually be able to get out of poverty. 

21 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

If they  put all this money towards making improvements so trains and buses run on time, people below poverty line would have access to more jobs, be able to get to work on time (many of them have jobs where you get fired for even one or two latenesses), and actually be able to get out of poverty. 

But that still means nothing if people can't afford to use it.

Even I have my times of struggle. Though I've been admittedly lucky recently.

22 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That's not the point. What's having a good subway system if you can't afford to use it? This city is built around the subway and thus should be accessible to all New-Yorkers, even those who are struggling. I can see this program reducing fare evasion a bit, and maybe bringing some unseen benefits. Good on the MTA.

9 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

That's not the point. What's having a good subway system if you can't afford to use it? This city is built around the subway and thus should be accessible to all New-Yorkers, even those who are struggling. I can see this program reducing fare evasion a bit, and maybe bringing some unseen benefits. Good on the MTA.

10 hours ago, LTA1992 said:

But that still means nothing if people can't afford to use it.

Even I have my times of struggle. Though I've been admittedly lucky recently.

I understand your points, but follow me for a second: If people below the poverty line take the subway to and from work 7 days per week, if they use a PPR Metrocard, it costs about $2,000 per year. With a half fare metrocard, it will save them $1,000 per year. If they use an unlimited, the cost savings will be even less. BUT...if instead, all this money makes the subway more reliable and faster, it would allow the same people to spend more time at work and less time traveling. That, in turn, allows them to work more hours or keep jobs without getting fired for being late. In terms of opportunity cost, this extra/saved time will likely be worth more than $1,000 per year. Or, they could use that extra time to spend more time with family, which may be more valuable to them than money. 

My point is that our subway is relatively affordable compared to other transit systems, especially if you are traveling for very long distances, as many of the poorest people do to get to and from work. A more reliable system would very likely help more people than this program, and give people more time, which can actually be more valuable than money.

On 11/9/2018 at 4:29 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

They go along with this program, but when I requested that long-time taxpayers (our seniors) be able to ride for half-fare all day they hesitated.

Archived