Management Analyst Exams 9613/9614/9718, 9615*9720

Alucard

The following exams are occurring later this week:

Exam #/Title/Test Date

9613, Assistant Transit Management Analyst, 11/18/2018

9614, Associate Transit Management Analyst, 11/18/2018

9718, Promotion to Associate Transit Management Analyst, 11/18/2018

These seem to be some of the first exams that have the new expanded Selective Certification for Education and Special Experience [15 categories/backgrounds]

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/select_exams.htm

"Selective Certification for Education and Special Experience: If you have the education and experience listed below, you may be considered for appointment to positions requiring this education and experience through a process called Selective Certification. If you qualify for Selective Certification, you may be given preferred consideration for positions requiring this education and experience. If you have a qualifying degree and experience, as listed"

There is also an upcoming Exam 9615, Principal Transit Management Analyst & Exam 9720 Promotion to Principal Transit Management Analyst on 12/8/2018.

Good luck to anyone taking any of these, feel free to share any thoughts or info.

Edited by +Young+

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update here, the proposed answer keys have posted for these multiple A/TMA Exams

1rdap1.jpg

http://web.mta.info/nyct/hr/proposed_answerkey.htm

Good luck to those managing to pass either or both of these level 2 & 3 A/TMA Exams. 

The level 4 [Principal TMA] Answer Keys will release next month.

**The protest session for these A/TMA exams is scheduled for 12/18/18, from 10am-12pm. Anyone wishing to voice a protest & attend 

the session has to inform them of intent to do so by 12/14/2018 by 3pm**Details are on the records of answers sheet.

On 11/17/2018 at 10:54 AM, Nelya said:

is the protest session worth to do ?

If someone's scoring on the proposed answers is a few answers short of passing, and the protest session gives them the ever slight possibility of getting 1 or 2 answers changed allowing them to pass, then certainly it's worth it. 24 incorrect [out of 80] & they hit passing at 70%, but if someone has 25 incorrect, it's worth the effort if they can attend & attempt it, as one answer changed would get them onto the list if they can protest & get a positive ruling & result.

Edited by Alucard
line break

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, the proposed answer keys have posted for these multiple P/TMA Exams

v5ws3a.jpg

Good luck to those managing to successfully pass any of these level 4 A/P/TMA Exams. 

This completes up to the proposed answers point for all the following exams given in 4Q18:

9613 Assistant Transit Management Analyst

9614 Associate Transit Management Analyst

9718 Promotion to Associate Transit Management Analyst

9719 Promotion to Associate Transit Management Analyst(Ops)

9615 Principal Transit Management Analyst

9720 Promotion to Principal Transit Management Analyst

9721 Promotion to Principal Transit Management Analyst(Ops)

• 1 month later...

Just received a disqualification letter for the principal transit management analyst #9615 exam based on work experience. That's pretty crazy considering I have been an analyst with NYCT for over 4 years now. I am appealing, going to copy and paste the exact wording on the exam description of the required work experience .

Edited by gr1mee

28 minutes ago, gr1mee said:

Just received a disqualification letter for the principal transit management analyst #9615 exam based on work experience. That's pretty crazy considering I have been an analyst with NYCT for over 4 years now. I am appealing, going to copy and paste the exact wording on the exam description of the required work experience .

Good luck...

On 3/1/2019 at 9:17 AM, gr1mee said:

Could you shed some light on the Analyst positions within TA? How's the experience been, has there been mobility & upward or lateral progression in the position since you've done it for a while. Any insight would be welcome, these exams/lists from the trainee level onward might be hitting a wall due to the hiring freeze that has been in effect since fall of '18. The quick observation is there used to be many postings for open TA positions on the MTA employment site, but those have all evaporated.

In regards to the disqualification, good luck. Once you have the time in position & the staff supervisory experience it should be a valid appeal. You're already in the door, seems like a tough door to get into these days! :)

5 hours ago, Alucard said:

Could you shed some light on the Analyst positions within TA? How's the experience been, has there been mobility & upward or lateral progression in the position since you've done it for a while. Any insight would be welcome, these exams/lists from the trainee level onward might be hitting a wall due to the hiring freeze that has been in effect since fall of '18. The quick observation is there used to be many postings for open TA positions on the MTA employment site, but those have all evaporated.

In regards to the disqualification, good luck. Once you have the time in position & the staff supervisory experience it should be a valid appeal. You're already in the door, seems like a tough door to get into these days! :)

That depends if youre an analyst at a hub like 2 Broadway/130 Livingston St or a field location. I have not worked ar a hub so cannot comment on that but it is hard to move up the ladder as an Analyst working at field locations. The best you can do is keep taking higher title exams in hopes that the department youre working in will grant you the new and higher paying title. 

Turnover is low...youre waiting on someone above you to get promoted or die so that you can have a chance at becoming a supervisor of some kind. Its easier for an analyst to move into supervisory/managerial roles in buses in my opinion. There arent many supervisory positions in subways. I have had a very hard time trying to attain a supervisory role anywhere. Seems like you need an engineering background and kiss ass to move up as an Analyst in subways.

Also, Im skeptical of the Principal TMA title as I can say there arent many in the MTA who have this title (about 5 according to my outlook global email addresses). This may all be  a money grab considering even I got DQed.

If youre not set on just working for Transit, dont forget to apply for the analyst exams given by dcas. There are analyst exams open later this year. I got into MTA as a Paa title and kept jumping thru analyst titles by paasing DCAs analyst exams. I asked for the titles to be retained at Transit [easier to get plucked from the list as an incumbent than having to duke it out with people om these lists at other agencies).

Edited by gr1mee

1 hour ago, gr1mee said:

That depends

There appears to be a high degree of difficulty to get into TA as an analyst, I have interviewed for several Associate Level positions [as a pure outsider, prior to taking any exams] and it appeared that there was a stone wall for entry (especially for someone outside TA) Deciding to take the exams seemed to be the best option, but the duration which it seems to take to get the process moving is a bit daunting for anyone seeking to find a landing spot at TA. There was a time the positions would be posted up so one could apply, but since the hiring freeze all those positions have disappeared. These exams to point of hire are seeming like 3 to 5 year processes.

By the availability of public records, that Principal TA title has not been utilized broadly for a decade, it would seem that either the title is being resurrected for some purpose, or will be used to replace perhaps some supervisory titles.  It may be one of those titles that ends up having a few limited slots, especially considering there were promotion exams for it. The open competitive one might not get touched. So you may be right in that it could have been a bit of a cash grab. Several hundred took it for sure.

Since you're on the inside, would you say the better path is to wait for one's slot on the higher titled exam? Say for example, one passes all the exams from trainee [level 1] to Associate [level 3] Is it best to enter in at the higher/highest title? As from what you say it seems like there's a lot that has to go right for a bit of forward momentum to occur. And if one starts at trainee, after year 1 they move up to assistant title, but after that it may begin to to move like a slow crawl.

Thanks for the info. It's really good to hear what the position & internal environment is like from someone who's actually there already. 

15 hours ago, Alucard said:

There appears to be a high degree of difficulty to get into TA as an analyst, I have interviewed for several Associate Level positions [as a pure outsider, prior to taking any exams] and it appeared that there was a stone wall for entry (especially for someone outside TA) Deciding to take the exams seemed to be the best option, but the duration which it seems to take to get the process moving is a bit daunting for anyone seeking to find a landing spot at TA. There was a time the positions would be posted up so one could apply, but since the hiring freeze all those positions have disappeared. These exams to point of hire are seeming like 3 to 5 year processes.

By the availability of public records, that Principal TA title has not been utilized broadly for a decade, it would seem that either the title is being resurrected for some purpose, or will be used to replace perhaps some supervisory titles.  It may be one of those titles that ends up having a few limited slots, especially considering there were promotion exams for it. The open competitive one might not get touched. So you may be right in that it could have been a bit of a cash grab. Several hundred took it for sure.

Since you're on the inside, would you say the better path is to wait for one's slot on the higher titled exam? Say for example, one passes all the exams from trainee [level 1] to Associate [level 3] Is it best to enter in at the higher/highest title? As from what you say it seems like there's a lot that has to go right for a bit of forward momentum to occur. And if one starts at trainee, after year 1 they move up to assistant title, but after that it may begin to to move like a slow crawl.

Thanks for the info. It's really good to hear what the position & internal environment is like from someone who's actually there already. 

I have worked in HR for field locations and I can say that you're definitely at a disadvantage by being an outsider. More often than not, someone who is already working for Transit will get the job offer. They are required to have someone from outside to be interviewed. Your best bet is to take the civil service exams as there is some sort of rule in place that agencies must hire 1 in every 3 interviewed and the 3 people they interviewed are off a list in some order. As I suggested earlier, don't confine yourself to just a Transit exam, take the DCAS civil service exams, which Transit is also a part of. You are casting a wider net by applying to DCAS exams as most agencies can use an analyst . You may not be working for MTA/Transit but at least you get the valuable work experience or permanent title after passing thru the 1 year probationary period. You will look a lot more attractive by already having the permanent title and work experience under your belt, despite coming from another agency.  There are also requirements in MTA job postings now that you must be permanent in a specific title to apply. Higher level titles are harder to obtain since there are more trainee and lower level analysts vying to get promoted as well. Civil service jobs are hard and long to come by, especially now given the job market and lack of job security in the private sector. 

Edited by gr1mee

2 hours ago, gr1mee said:

I have worked in HR for field locations and I can say that you're definitely at a disadvantage by being an outsider. More often than not, someone who is already working for Transit will get the job offer. They are required to have someone from outside to be interviewed. Your best bet is to take the civil service exams as there is some sort of rule in place that agencies must hire 1 in every 3 interviewed and the 3 people they interviewed are off a list in some order. As I suggested earlier, don't confine yourself to just a Transit exam, take the DCAS civil service exams, which Transit is also a part of. You are casting a wider net by applying to DCAS exams as most agencies can use an analyst . You may not be working for MTA/Transit but at least you get the valuable work experience or permanent title after passing thru the 1 year probationary period. You will look a lot more attractive by already having the permanent title and work experience under your belt, despite coming from another agency.  There are also requirements in MTA job postings now that you must be permanent in a specific title to apply. Higher level titles are harder to obtain since there are more trainee and lower level analysts vying to get promoted as well. Civil service jobs are hard and long to come by, especially now given the job market and lack of job security in the private sector. 

I have say you've presented some of the more informative posts in regards to these positions. From experience I have actually been to these interviews & been told the odds of getting the job were low not due to qualifications or experience, but just due to the fact that those in TA will get priority.  Taking and passing the open competitive exams seems to be a viable route, but still has it's complications. With limited openings, the eligible list start to erode as soon as they are established & the agency doesn't for any given reason fill off of it [ie. hiring freeze, budgetary etc] So a list say like the Trainee list established in November '18 has just been sitting and losing time toward it's expiry, and no hires have come off of it to move the list along.

Even with the higher level exams [Assistant, Associate] there were promotion exams that coincided with it so the candidate pool for say Associate will be both a promotion list & a competitive list, which honestly puts all those on the competitive at a disadvantage out the gate. I also sense that there are tiers on each/some of these titles, as I have seen Assistant TA II or Associate TA II, perhaps time allows for those elevated titles, with higher pay.

I will look into the other DCAS exams, certainly get the idea that the more agency lists one gets on the higher the odds of perhaps an opening occurring.  Still it's sort of the thing you dort of have to forget about, you take the exam & maybe it comes to fruition in several years at best. 

Do you have any thoughts on this:

2 hours ago, gr1mee said:

I guess getting in at level 1, assures you level 2 after 1 year, then it's about waiting & seeing if a level 3 becomes available. TA definitely is a challenge to get into on many levels. But I do agree that it does offer a bit of security over the private sector where you sort of never know when the finish line will show up at a private sector gig these days.

Thanks again for the thoughtful responses, certainly is a bit insightful into hear about the inner workings a bit.

• 2 months later...

Seems the Exams Unit have begun sending out ineligible letters on these exams [9613/9614] for various reason, giving 30 days for a filed appeal on their decision. Some of these exams required 1 year in the mass transit industry & some didn't, tough to lose out on these due that requirement especially if you passed the exams. It's kind of a wall built to only accept people who are already in the space. Tough goings. With TA in essentially a massive overhaul, hard to guess how fruitful these exams/lists will be in the future. Some might have just been a cash grab on one end.

DCAS will have their own series of these Analyst exams upcoming in June.

9krzvk.jpg

1 hour ago, Alucard said:

Seems the Exams Unit have begun sending out ineligible letters on these exams [9613/9614] for various reason, giving 30 days for a filed appeal on their decision. Some of these exams required 1 year in the mass transit industry & some didn't, tough to lose out on these due that requirement especially if you passed the exams. It's kind of a wall built to only accept people who are already in the space. Tough goings. With TA in essentially a massive overhaul, hard to guess how fruitful these exams/lists will be in the future. Some might have just been a cash grab on one end.

9krzvk.jpg

Do you have the link for the picture that you posted? Thank you

1 hour ago, GDBOY said:

Do you have the link for the picture that you posted? Thank you

Sure thing, here is the full annual exam list from dcas https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/yearly_examschedule.pdf [there are quite a few cancellations as well]

When the application period begins, you will find the notice of exams (NOE) here: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dcas/employment/current-upcoming-exams.page under the "Other Open-Competitive" Exams section or Promotion if you are already in title.

23 minutes ago, Alucard said:

When the application period begins, you will find the notice of exams (NOE) here: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dcas/employment/current-upcoming-exams.page under the "Other Open-Competitive" Exams section or Promotion if you are already in title.

If you want to see if you qualify based on your education and/or experience based on the last NOE(s) that was published, click here and find the exam title(s) in alphabetical order.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+

I gotta say the exam was pretty tough. I messed up by not studying standard supervisory strategy. I saw questions I was asked when I was aiming for a bank assistant manager a few years ago. There were also quite a few proofreading questions. Unless they graded on a curve, I missed the mark by maybe 2 points. There's always next time.

C.M.

7 hours ago, CeeMatt3000 said:

C.M.

You never know, with the complexity of some of the questions there is a chance that some might get reviewed via protest, being that close [2 off] is always a sting. Which of the exams did you take? The one luxury of them was that they were given in sets [9613/9614] were given together & the time allotment was abundant really, think 6+ hours. With all that's going on with TA recently it might be tough goings with all these exams. The Trainee level eligible list was established in Nov '18 & no hires yet. These likely will not establish until sometime in '20 & it would seem they are doing their best at eliminating [or attempting] to eliminate people who took it already. Hopefully a protest may help you breach the pass line, you never know once the final answer/results are released. The "next" time with these exams seem to be 10 years, long waits seem to be the standard all around. Good luck to you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 3:06 PM, BJJT0607 said:

Has anyone received the list yet? THX!

B607..

Don't hold your breath on this list being established anytime soon, the fact that only now appeal/disqualification notices are being handled means there is a long ways to go. At best I would look for these lists to get established some time in mid/late '20 or '21. And with the state of things currently that might be a generous timeline. The TMATrainee Exam took 16 months to establish and no one has been hired off it since it was established in Nov '18 due to hiring freezes & constraints. Best of luck to you on the appeal!

On 5/8/2019 at 5:40 PM, Alucard said:

DCAS has two of these series exams open for application for the next 2 weeks or so through 6/25.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/201909058000.pdf    [Administrative Staff Analyst]

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/201909061000.pdf    [Associate Staff Analyst]

t86p2t.jpg

Exams are in Sept & October.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

just a heads up to anyone still tuning in here:

Over the last few weeks, TA contacted & reached out to individuals that
passed the 9613/4 exam for possible interest & interview setups for possible provisional
appointments for exam 9613/4. Interviews were conducted last week, & there were about
10 departments, with possibly one to several available openings. No list has been established,
and any placements/appointments would be on a provisional basis. GLTA.

9613, Assistant Transit Management Analyst, 11/18/2018

9614, Associate Transit Management Analyst, 11/18/2018

• 7 months later...

Certified/Eligible Lists for the Following Exams Have been established and are posted on DCAS City Data

9613, Assistant Transit Management Analyst, Exam Date- 11/18/2018

9614, Associate Transit Management Analyst, Exam Date- 11/18/2018

---

9613, Assistant Transit Management Analyst, 101 ELIGIBLE, 75 Vacancies 03/09-04/11 Salary now: $61,246

9614, Associate Transit Management Analyst, 72 ELIGIBLE, 65 Vacancies 03/02-04/04. Salary now: $80,386

9718, Promotion Associate Transit Management Analyst, 7 ELIGIBLE

Best of Luck to all in the future process to come! With the low eligible numbers, most on these lists who desire these

open slots should get filled sometime. Passing numbers seem quite low considering how many took these exams!

As an aside, DCAS has also established, Exam 9061 Associate Staff Analyst with 2521 Eligible, this list can be used citywide, Salary now: $70,611