MTA Proposals for Toll, Subway and Commuter Rail Hikes Revealed Ahead of Thursday Board Meeting

Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

I can also see BM4 and BM5 off-peak service gone (Maybe the QM15 might be combined with the BM5, with the BM5 being cut entirely). The BXM11 might also be at risk if the (MTA) uses the subway as an excuse to cut it. The QM3 and QM18 might be cut entirely. The QM21 might also be cut, saying that 90-95% of the route is along the X63. The (MTA) might also try to combine the BXM7 and BXM8 off-peak.

The BM4 and BM5 I could definitely see cut off-peak, as well as the QM3, QM18 and QM21. The BxM11 has Pelham Parkway as a savior and the Bronx Zoo crowd. Subway service is abysmal, which is one reason the BxM11 does so well. There’s also a lot of people that live just over the border in Westchester that use it. It is more centrally located with more frequent service. Metro-North isn’t as accessible nor that frequent in comparison.

2019 over 2018
 Decrease of 41 positions for Express Bus Service

2020 over 2019:

 Decrease of 40 positions for Express Bus Service

  Express bus service expenses are projected to decrease by $10.0 million in 2019, and $21.0 million in 2020 – 2022.

Another issue with bus service:

Bus Operator Relief Reduction

TWU depots Bus Operator relief reduction – Removal of 13 positions

V-395

They are cutting express bus service while spending money on the Bus Action Plan.

Bus Action Plan (BAP) - Specific elements of the BAP include a completely redesigned bus route network, working with traffic engineering consultants to develop and support new priority infrastructure, increased collaboration with the NYC Department of Transportation (NYCDOT), the NYC Police Department (NYPD), and local communities to balance bus stops, improve off- peak service to meet changing ridership needs, improve bus boarding times by using all doors, improving customer service and the customer experience, and improve service delivery through proactive management.

The BAP will deliver world-class service with immediate and long-term improvements by building upon numerous existing and ongoing initiatives, such as the growing Select Bus Service (SBS) network, “traffic signal priority” technology that allows traffic lights to prioritize oncoming buses and digital information screens to provide helpful bus route, next stop and real- time service advisories.

The Plan includes preliminary costs of $3.6 million in 2018, $5.7 million in 2019, $2.5 million in 2020, $2.2 million in 2021 and $1.7 million in 2022 for a comprehensive, clean-slate approach to reimagining the entire MTABC bus system.

Staten Island has been given the shaft, and now it is the rest of the city's turn. This is ridiculous. In Mr. Byford's terms, I would say that "it's anathema to me."

@Via Garibaldi 8Do you know what the deal is with the following?

Yonkers Building Maintenance - Modification of Yonkers bus depot maintenance yard due to an easement from the City of Yonkers. This will cost $2.0 million in 2019.

V-360

31 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

2019 over 2018
 Decrease of 41 positions for Express Bus Service

2020 over 2019:

 Decrease of 40 positions for Express Bus Service

  Express bus service expenses are projected to decrease by $10.0 million in 2019, and $21.0 million in 2020 – 2022.

Another issue with bus service:

Bus Operator Relief Reduction

TWU depots Bus Operator relief reduction – Removal of 13 positions

V-395

They are cutting express bus service while spending money on the Bus Action Plan.

Bus Action Plan (BAP) - Specific elements of the BAP include a completely redesigned bus route network, working with traffic engineering consultants to develop and support new priority infrastructure, increased collaboration with the NYC Department of Transportation (NYCDOT), the NYC Police Department (NYPD), and local communities to balance bus stops, improve off- peak service to meet changing ridership needs, improve bus boarding times by using all doors, improving customer service and the customer experience, and improve service delivery through proactive management.

The BAP will deliver world-class service with immediate and long-term improvements by building upon numerous existing and ongoing initiatives, such as the growing Select Bus Service (SBS) network, “traffic signal priority” technology that allows traffic lights to prioritize oncoming buses and digital information screens to provide helpful bus route, next stop and real- time service advisories.

The Plan includes preliminary costs of $3.6 million in 2018, $5.7 million in 2019, $2.5 million in 2020, $2.2 million in 2021 and $1.7 million in 2022 for a comprehensive, clean-slate approach to reimagining the entire MTABC bus system.

Staten Island has been given the shaft, and now it is the rest of the city's turn. This is ridiculous. In Mr. Byford's terms, I would say that "it's anathema to me."

@Via Garibaldi 8Do you know what the deal is with the following?

Yonkers Building Maintenance - Modification of Yonkers bus depot maintenance yard due to an easement from the City of Yonkers. This will cost $2.0 million in 2019.

V-360

Yes, this is exactly what they’re doing, and they’re trying to create super routes, then claim that they’re providing frequent service when they clearly have not been able to meet the scheduled service. Less network coverage... Come January, if they still can’t meet scheduled service we’re going to have to step up the heat. One big reason they can’t make service is they are not filling trips when drivers are out sick or take vacation, which explains why some trips go missing for days. They’ve noted this previously publicly. The problem is they’ve been getting away with it, so their attitude is let’s keep doing it. I mean who is calling them out on it? Nobody. Now when buses don’t come during rush hour and people are waiting 40+ minutes for a bus they can say well there’s traffic. That’s been their excuse. 

As for Yonkers Depot, I imagine that’s part of the ongoing negotiations between the City of Yonkers and the (MTA) .Ultimately, the City of Yonkers wants that land for re-development of residential buildings. It sits near the waterfront and I guess Yonkers feels that they should redevelop it for the City’s benefit and bring in more tax dollars while they do it. Meanwhile the (MTA) wants a new depot out of the deal, with the City of Yonkers paying for it (ideally).

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, this is exactly what they’re doing, and they’re trying to create super routes, then claim that they’re providing frequent service when they clearly have not been able to meet the scheduled service. Less network coverage... Come January, if they still can’t meet scheduled service we’re going to have to step up the heat. One big reason they can’t make service is they are not filling trips when drivers are out sick or take vacation, which explains why some trips go missing for days. They’ve noted this previously publicly. The problem is they’ve been getting away with it, so their attitude is let’s keep doing it. I mean who is calling them out on it? Nobody. Now when buses don’t come during rush hour and people are waiting 40+ minutes for a bus they can say well there’s traffic. That’s been their excuse. 

As for Yonkers Depot, I imagine that’s part of the ongoing negotiations between the City of Yonkers and the (MTA) .Ultimately, the City of Yonkers wants that land for re-development of residential buildings. It sits near the waterfront and I guess Yonkers feels that they should redevelop it for the City’s benefit and bring in more tax dollars while they do it. Meanwhile the (MTA) wants a new depot out of the deal, with the City of Yonkers paying for it (ideally).

I just contacted my State Senator Joe Addabbo about this nonsense to make sure he knows about this. I am sure that he didn't sift through this 600-page document. This really needs press.

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

I just contacted my State Senator Joe Addabbo about this nonsense to make sure he knows about this. I am sure that he didn't sift through this 600-page document. This really needs press.

As the saying goes, the devil is in the details. When they vote on this, then riders around the City will see exactly what will be cut, but by then the damage may be done, so what you’re doing is wise.

11 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The BM4 and BM5 I could definitely see cut off-peak, as well as the QM3, QM18 and QM21. The BxM11 has Pelham Parkway as a savior and the Bronx Zoo crowd. Subway service is abysmal, which is one reason the BxM11 does so well. There’s also a lot of people that live just over the border in Westchester that use it. It is more centrally located with more frequent service. Metro-North isn’t as accessible nor that frequent in comparison.

Hopefully that stops the (MTA) from doing any type of cut to the BXM11. But saying that they attempted to cut (and for a short time succeeded) X27 and X28 service due to it being "close to the subway" I can't be 100% sure that they won't touch BXM11 service.

11 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Hopefully that stops the (MTA) from doing any type of cut to the BXM11. But saying that they attempted to cut (and for a short time succeeded) X27 and X28 service due to it being "close to the subway" I can't be 100% sure that they won't touch BXM11 service.

The (MTA) has tried over the years to do away with those lines, first by making them less attractive after the 2010 service cuts. They aren't stupid.  That didn't work because people raised hell along those lines and demanded that they be put back the way that they were.  When they tried to play hardball, Senator Golden threatened to sue citing the lack of ADA accessibility of the subway stations in Bay Ridge, as well as the ones near Dyker Heights and elsewhere.  They then changed their tune. The BxM11 helps those who are disabled or can't reach the subway. I believe only three out of 10 subway stops along or near the entire BxM11 route in the Bronx are ADA accessible, so I'm sure that plays a role as well.  That's one reason the local buses do so well on White Plains Road.  With no escalators or elevators there are a lot of stairs to climb, even for able bodied people.  For people that are furthest away from the subway, the closest stop for them that is ADA accessible is 233rd Street.

1 hour ago, Q101viaSteinway said:

I have been hearing talk that the MTA master plan is to eventually kill off as many express bus as possible outside Staten Island. 

I would not be surprised if that is indeed true. What makes this so easy is that people just sit back and don't make noise. It makes no sense. Some areas are more vocal than others. The other thing is, if they know, they come up with such and such excuses as to why they think it's useless. Our elected offcials have the right to serve us. We put them in office, so it only make sesnse that they work for us. 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I would not be surprised if that is indeed true. What makes this so easy is that people just sit back and don't make noise. It makes no sense. Some areas are more vocal than others. The other thing is, if they know, they come up with such and such excuses as to why they think it's useless. Our elected offcials have the right to serve us. We put them in office, so it only make sesnse that they work for us. 

You’re right, but in this case, let’s say people were pissed all over. They wouldn’t even know if their service was on the chopping block. 600+ pages of material and “somehow” the actual routes that would be cut or see service reductions aren’t included... My contact already confirmed that the cuts would be severe, but could not specify which routes would be affected. Crazy...

30 minutes ago, Q101viaSteinway said:

Yes and now they already trying to go there. They cut X25,X29,X32,X51. They made cut to X27/X28/X37/X38 which NYCT was force to restore. 

They wanted to get rid of the X32, X51, X63, X64, and X68 among other routes.

22 hours ago, Q101viaSteinway said:

I have been hearing talk that the MTA master plan is to eventually kill off as many express bus as possible outside Staten Island. 

I have been noticing by more than just talk that the MTA master plan is to eventually kill off as many express and local bus as possible outside of and including Staten Island.

Any optimism for what the MTA has in store for these individual borough bus network redesigns at this point, I would categorize as being indubitably foolish.

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I have been noticing by more than just talk that the MTA master plan is to eventually kill off as many express and local bus as possible outside of and including Staten Island.

Any optimism for what the MTA has in store for these individual borough bus network redesigns at this point, I would categorize as being indubitably foolish.

They would like that, and running piss poor service can give them an excuse to cut service.

On 11/21/2018 at 3:52 PM, Q101viaSteinway said:

If that was the case they wouldn't spend the $100+ mil on bus orders since 2015+

I want to know if MTA is ordering any more express buses for MTA Bus Company other than the 257 mentioned in the fleet and depots section of the forum? If MTA is replacing 3000-3474 plus the 2000 series MCI buses with only 257 new express buses, then this is a big cut. 

What gives me a problem is how in the fleet and depots section of the forum it says MTA Bus wants to retire 154 2005 MCI buses in 2019 but the first 174 of the new express buses are not supposed arrive until 2020. 

2 hours ago, Q101viaSteinway said:

I want to know if MTA is ordering any more express buses for MTA Bus Company other than the 257 mentioned in the fleet and depots section of the forum? If MTA is replacing 3000-3474 plus the 2000 series MCI buses with only 257 new express buses, then this is a big cut. 

What gives me a problem is how in the fleet and depots section of the forum it says MTA Bus wants to retire 154 2005 MCI buses in 2019 but the first 174 of the new express buses are not supposed arrive until 2020. 

No what you’ve seen is the plan, and that is also a big departure from the original plan, which means that yes, they plan on cutting a lot. One of contacts at (MTA) says it’s only a proposal for now but still. Not good...

5 hours ago, trife86 said:

If that was the case they wouldn't spend the $100+ mil on bus orders since 2015+

That is very possible because Staten Island received the bulk of the new express buses. A lot of the proposed cuts are for (MTA) Bus. We skimmed through those 600+ pages and while they don’t mention which lines, their proposals call for SEVERE cuts to (MTA) positions such as B/Os. That doesn’t bode well for your brothers. I had a long conversation about those proposals with people in my Advocacy Group that help me review such things and we came to the conclusion that this may be the long-term strategy of the (MTA) . My folks are well versed in this (even more than me) because they’ve done advocacy longer than I.

The rumors have already started though. Passengers in my group are flipping out about the QM3 possibly losing a trip (we have no evidence to substantiate this), but that’s my point. There’s a concern about severe cuts.

10 hours ago, GreatOne2k said:

The blank check means that MTA wouldn't be saving anything by cutting MTA Bus, though NYC would save money

I’m going to remind the board of why express bus service exists and why the City agreed to provide funding for it. The areas with no subways faced higher fares historically and were considered less attractive without subways, thus called transportation deserts. The City provided such funding to give those areas reasonable transportation options.

Archived