MTA Snowmaggadon!

King Transit

7 minutes ago, King Transit said:

There were my recent buses from the depot I work out of(MJQ) were stranded badly.

Tip For MTA: No 60fts on snowy days, why practice that ?

Easy for you to say. This snow probably caught them off guard where it would be perfectly fine for an inch or two .

3 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

To be fair, it was only forecasted to snow one to three inches today

10 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Easy for you to say. This snow probably caught them off guard where it would be perfectly fine for an inch or two .

Please. They were told about the storm last night and they opted not to go with chains.  The DOS also knew about the storm and said they were "ready to go".  The City and the (MTA) both dropped the ball big time. People are stranded all over the damn city.  Port Authority is shut down now because it is PACKED.

This video is from YESTERDAY.  They all knew that snow was coming. Now the entire city is at a standstill. 

There needs to be an investigation done.  Barely three inches of snow and people are stuck like this.  My streets are not plowed at all and there have been various accidents all over my neighborhood so my only option is to try to get to Metro-North and then walk from the station assuming I can do that and I live on a hill so that won't be too fun. Express buses are stuck because the Deegan is basically shut down. Two express buses have been sitting Downtown for over an hour.  Oh yeah and Metro-North is severely delayed as well, so that's a gamble too.

So all of this, and there's no detour posted for the M79. Buses are being detoured (probably via 86 Street), but nothing is posted. Looks like there's two buses on the M79 (one recently appeared), and there might be more of them in service if they are on the detour.

Looks like the Bronx is starting to put standard buses on their routes. Most of the Bx12 SBS buses are 40 footers at this time.

3 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

There's literally only one bus on the entire M79 route right now because of this.

People can't get anywhere because several M79 buses stalled are crashed into each other on BOTH sides of 81st and Central Park West. Before the park, two M79s crashed into each other, and on the other side of that several buses are stalled/stuck in the snow.  All artics too (new buses). They can't get up that small incline. Unbelievable. Poeple are stuck everywhere. It was on Channel 2 news. I'm streaming in my office.  The (MTA) said they have all weather tires on the buses... They're doing a great job... <_<

11 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So all of this, and there's no detour posted for the M79. Buses are being detoured (probably via 86 Street), but nothing is posted. Looks like there's two buses on the M79 (one recently appeared), and there might be more of them in service if they are on the detour.

Looks like the Bronx is starting to put standard buses on their routes. Most of the Bx12 SBS buses are 40 footers at this time.

I already subbed your YT Channel😉.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Please. They were told about the storm last night and they opted not to go with chains.  The DOS also knew about the storm and said they were "ready to go".  The City and the (MTA) both dropped the ball big time. People are stranded all over the damn city.  Port Authority is shut down now because it is PACKED.

This video is from YESTERDAY.  They all knew that snow was coming. Now the entire city is at a standstill. 

I rather be prepared for nothing than not prepared for something. Basically the entire city is at a standstill today. I don't get why people just don't think about the environment and instead focus on how to look good.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

People can't get anywhere because several M79 buses stalled are crashed into each other on BOTH sides of 81st and Central Park West. Before the park, two M79s crashed into each other, and on the other side of that several buses are stalled/stuck in the snow.  All artics too (new buses). They can't get up that small incline. Unbelievable. Poeple are stuck everywhere. It was on Channel 2 news. I'm streaming in my office.  The (MTA) said they have all weather tires on the buses... They're doing a great job... <_<

The all season / all weather tires do work alot better than the old Goodyear metro miler tire which is still used on the front of the bus, so the all season is only used on the rear for added traction but the front still has the same old crapolla which has no chunks or grooves in it really at all 

If you look that tire up you will see what I mean.

Snow chains are the only way to go even though they do limit the bus to 20mph it's well worth the safety in my book.

I seen on twitter the GWB was at an standstill earlier today with people getting out of their cars and out and about on the bridge.

Port Authority had to be closed due to overcrowding.

This reminds me a lot of the 2010 storm which crippled the city, that storm also caught the city off guard.

Yup, the (MTA) could've prepared a lot better for this event... In the Rockaways, some buses took nearly twice as long as they normally do (even in snow) to make their stops, thankfully the drivers drove mostly well so props to them! Many buses were delayed badly and I heard a school tripper service (the Q21) was even cancelled, so slightly more crowds piled onto the Q53 which already ran with troubled artics (ouch). Sad to think other parts of the city handled the snow much worse. I mean, just look at the issues on the GWB and in the Port Authority especially, how on Earth was nothing done when predictions clearly leaned towards chances of snow many days prior?!

2 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

I wonder how the notorious SIMs did in this snowstorm...

I can only guess horrible seeing the SIM's current track record, as if matters on Staten Island couldn't be made worse. I'm just glad this was more or less an afternoon thing, otherwise the effects would be more disastrous.

What an utter disaster today and tonight. This was possibly the worst commute I have ever had, and it was a lot less snow than we have had in the past.

I got on a QM4 at 57th Street, and we literally went half a block in the 30 minutes. I had been checking my email, so when I realized we hadn't moved, I got the hell off that bus. What amazed me was that no one else go off! These idiots sat on the bus for what was probably another 2.5 hours, when they could have walked over to the (R) at 59th like I did, which was running just fine. The real problem was getting off in Queens, becuase none of the local buses were running properly. I had to walk 2 miles tonight because of it. 

I have not seen Manhattan streets at such an unbelievable standstill since 9/11, which is pretty insane. People were literally running out of gas and refueling with gas cans in the middle of Lexington Avenue! 

DeBlasio should be thrown out of office. He is an incompetent buffoon, and always has been. 

40 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What an utter disaster today and tonight. This was possibly the worst commute I have ever had, and it was a lot less snow than we have had in the past.

I got on a QM4 at 57th Street, and we literally went half a block in the 30 minutes. I had been checking my email, so when I realized we hadn't moved, I got the hell off that bus. What amazed me was that no one else go off! These idiots sat on the bus for what was probably another 2.5 hours, when they could have walked over to the (R) at 59th like I did, which was running just fine. The real problem was getting off in Queens, becuase none of the local buses were running properly. I had to walk 2 miles tonight because of it. 

I have not seen Manhattan streets at such an unbelievable standstill since 9/11, which is pretty insane. People were literally running out of gas and refueling with gas cans in the middle of Lexington Avenue! 

DeBlasio should be thrown out of office. He is an incompetent buffoon, and always has been. 

Too bad people don't actually look into voting for other candidates (even on the same party line) and just continue voting in the status quo. Him and Cuomo. Absolutely pathetic.

The traffic is still bad out  there. There are so many artic buses left stranded, some are new buses at that. In the Bronx the traffic near west farms depot  is so bad i don’t think the drivers can begin their overnight shits which means that so many people are left stranded and most drivers can’t even get into the depot to go home it’s like 2010 all over again 

Manhattan was primarily f**ked over because of the Queensboro Bridge, the roads were icy and they shut down the bridge. So all the northbound avenues were in a standstill, all the way down to 23rd Street. A ton of express buses were detoured over to 2nd Avenue, where they took the tunnel.

I worked out there in the mess today. The sights were unbelievable. The FDR was so far beyond FUBAR'D that express buses were deadheading via 1st and 3rd Avenues, and that did nothing to help them either. When I saw the Queens X routes go DOWN 2nd Avenue...I knew immediately that something was up by the bridge.

And then, along one of my delivery routes today, I came across this. 5846 jacknifed just outside of the stop.....with a torn articulated joint. Quite a few other articulated buses, including the new ones, got their articulated blinds torn from sliding into hydrants and such.

What made it worse was that streets were already turning into sheets of ice by 7-8pm, which made conditions even more problematic for the buses. That did not help out those tires on them buses at all. Even the 40ft buses were struggling at some point.

IMG_20181115_201721.jpg

IMG_20181115_201900.jpg

I heard that the LIRR was actually knocked out of service between Jamaica & Atlantic terminal last night - However, the displays at JAM were stating that there were no service b/w Jamaica & Penn Station.... If that's true, I mean honestly, how do you make that type of gaffe....

The drive home wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, to be honest - all things considered (although there were a couple traffic lights that were knocked out in Herricks & Mineola)... Also saw more people than normal waiting for n24's on Jericho Tpke (wasn't really looking for them, but I'm not sure if I even passed by a n24 the entire time)...

Something else I was told about, was that people were left stranded along Broadway waiting for B46's after 6, as local service was stopping dead at DeKalb (with the SBS')....

IDK man, this city's going to hell in a hand-basket.

22 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

I wonder how the notorious SIMs did in this snowstorm...

It took me over 4 hours to get home, and from what I've read on social media that was the norm lol

The one major thing that could've been done was reroute the "via NJ" buses through Brooklyn because (from what I heard), that was about an hour faster because there were accidents on both the Gowanus and NJ Turnpike.

Personally, I took the SIM25 and had a relative pick me up in Travis (my normal route is the SIM4/8). Normally I wouldn't care about standing, but with traffic being the way it was, I was expecting the SIM buses to take longer than the ferry and I figured being on the bus that long I could actually get a good nap lol (so I let a SIM25 pass and waited for one that was a block away but spent 15 minutes sitting at the traffic light at 42nd & 8th). Insane that a few inches of snow can cause such a delay, but at that exact moment you have to make the best of the situation.

Archived