Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Via Garibaldi 8

MTA chief: I made turnstile jumper buy a MetroCard

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You'd be right about that.  That's another reason I've become increasingly annoyed with it.  The kids on the (A) train have a routine. They ride from somewhere uptown on the (A) and (C) with the mother and then go around trying to get money from adults, mainly females.  The mother sits and watches them and clearly has them target specific people and when she sees it isn't working, she'll signal for them to come back to her and they either wait for more suckers to come on and ride or go to another car to work that one. Absolutely disgusting. I don't even ride the lines that much but I've seem them enough during the week and on weekends to know that it's a scam.

I'll tell you what I do... When I'm asked for money, my reply is how about I make a deal with you? For ever 50 cents I give you, you give me a dollar? I did this with a guy on Madison one night when I was walking to get to Metro-North.  I go how does that sound? He's like I ain't got it, so I go oh yeah? Well I ain't got it either, and it's actually true since I rarely walk around with cash these days. lol That shuts them up real fast. I don't like sounding like a heartless prick because over the years I have taken people to various places to get food. I let them get what they want too and I pay for it because that's what my mom would do.  She always said I'll give people food or buy them food, but I am not giving them money, and that's the principle I go by now. If they're truly hungry, they'll accept the offer, and I don't do cheap either. I have no problem letting them get something healthy and of quality if that's what they want. I've even given away my own lunch to people.  The scammers will turn you down every time though.  They want your hard earned money to piss away.

Yes, and they hit up certain lines over others too.... They know what the hell they're doing; you'd be naïve to believe that these beggars are randomly choosing which trunk lines to eloquently declaim their scripted sob-stories in an academy award winning fashion on..... Now I'm not the person telling anyone what to do with their money, but the ones I see giving these beggars money, I tend to give them a look that exudes a "come on, really??"..... My last ex used to crack me up when she used to be like "Que carajo te pasa" (sp?).... There are signs that read "don't feed the pigeons" for a reason.... Complete opportunists.

As far as opening a door for a rapport? Pfft, the more you converse with them though, the more comfortable they get.... I want them to be uncomfortable approaching me just as much as my blood boils whenever I'm approached by 'em... I don't want them anywhere near me... Go be poor or fake poor in the immediate vicinity of someone else... You aren't getting any sympathy out of me.... Too many damn crazies out here & nobody's going to look out for my best interest other than myself....

More power to you, but I'm just not that dude to be bothered with teaching them any sort of lesson - or even interacting with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yes, and they hit up certain lines over others too.... They know what the hell they're doing; you'd be naïve to believe that these beggars are randomly choosing which trunk lines to eloquently declaim their scripted sob-stories in an academy award winning fashion on..... Now I'm not the person telling anyone what to do with their money, but the ones I see giving these beggars money, I tend to give them a look that exudes a "come on, really??"..... My last ex used to crack me up when she used to be like "Que carajo te pasa" (sp?).... There are signs that read "don't feed the pigeons" for a reason.... Complete opportunists.

As far as opening a door for a rapport? Pfft, the more you converse with them though, the more comfortable they get.... I want them to be uncomfortable approaching me just as much as my blood boils whenever I'm approached by 'em... I don't want them anywhere near me... Go be poor or fake poor in the immediate vicinity of someone else... You aren't getting any sympathy out of me.... Too many damn crazies out here & nobody's going to look out for my best interest other than myself....

More power to you, but I'm just not that dude to be bothered with teaching them any sort of lesson - or even interacting with them.

That only happens when I'm in a good mood and I feel like being a smart @ss... lol If I have earbuds on I just look like I'm confused.  That usually does the trick too. I'm telling you, sometimes you can't help yourself. I have been out having dinner outside and have had people approach me that interrupt my conversation, and I'm sorry when that happens, I have to say something since they've ruined my lunch or dinner. Years ago I sat outside with a friend talking business.  Out of nowhere we're eating dinner and this guy comes up asking for money.  I was furious particularly at his rude behavior, so I had to stop and make it clear that it wasn't ok what he did. I've even had homeless people come into a place I was eating INSIDE and ask me for money at my table. I couldn't believe it. The waiter had to run over and get them out.  

A few weeks ago I go to get coffee and a pastry before getting on the subway in the City. This guy is already inside the place I was going to and he's basically standing on line with a family engaging them in conversation. At first the father looked so calm and accepting that I thought the guy was with them, but I'm like what's going on here? This guy is clearly homeless and dirty and he's touching everything!  When the cashier started calling for the police then I knew what the deal was, but I'm telling you, people have no shame. He sat there begging for ice water and food until they gave him what he wanted and then he finally left.  They even have the nerve to specify the exact amount that they want you to give. Give what you can isn't enough anymore. Now you see signs in the subway asking for a $1.00. You can't make this stuff up. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's more infuriating to me when they try to act like a long lost friend or a pal in order to get your money.

I was at five guys getting something, and as I'm walking out with my food hwading back this guy comes in and is like "bro, you got a dollar?". Like, who the hell are you fooling coming into five guys looking you're going to get something and ask for a dollar? Burger King is two blocks down. After I didn't give him anything, he immediately went to the dude paying for his stuff at the cashier. Dude looked like he was just waiting to sucker punch him, lol.

But yeah, it's getting out of hand. Getting stuff at the newsstands inside the subway at Jay Street is annoying sometimes. One time, I was deciding on what to buy when this beggar just puts a cup with change in my face. The dude at the stand waved him off before I would have done anything, but I wish he didn't.

There was also the time where I have been accused of not liking black people and told to "give more". Was funny to see the TWO black ladies he asked afterward not give him anything.

And then one more recently, when I'm trying to buy a bag of chips, this lady comes out of nowhere and keeps repeating "sir, can you buy me a soda" on a loop like a broken record. OMG she would not shut up!

On the (F) , there's usually a woman who begs for money, and tells her sob story of her ex-husband beating her. Think her name is Carlene Williams or something like that. Before, she used to only ask for money, but now made a Go Fund Me and holds a poster around in order to get people to donate to her Go Fund Me account. One time we were on an R46 between Rockefeller Center and Lexington Avenue-63 Street. When nobody gave her anything, she got agitated and started going into detail about her supposed beating. Anyone who gives her money in particular, deserves to be swindled of all their money. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven
  • LMAO! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

It's more infuriating to me when they try to act like a long lost friend or a pal in order to get your money.

I was at five guys getting something, and as I'm walking out with my food hwading back this guy comes in and is like "bro, you got a dollar?". Like, who the hell are you fooling coming into five guys looking you're going to get something and ask for a dollar? Burger King is two blocks down. After I didn't give him anything, he immediately went to the dude paying for his stuff at the cashier. Dude looked like he was just waiting to sucker punch him, lol.

But yeah, it's getting out of hand. Getting stuff at the newsstands inside the subway at Jay Street is annoying sometimes. One time, I was deciding on what to buy when this beggar just puts a cup with change in my face. The dude at the stand waved him off before I would have done anything, but I wish he didn't.

There was also the time where I have been accused of not liking black people and told to "give more". Was funny to see the TWO black ladies he asked afterward not give him anything.

And then one more recently, when I'm trying to buy a bag of chips, this lady comes out of nowhere and keeps repeating "sir, can you buy me a soda" on a loop like a broken record. OMG she would not shut up!

On the (F), there's usually a woman who begs for money, and tells her sob story of her ex-husband beating her. Think her name is Carlene Williams or something like that. Before, she used to only ask for money, but now made a Go Fund Me and holds a poster around in order to get people to donate to her Go Fund Me account. One time we were on an R46 between Rockefeller Center and Lexington Avenue-63 Street. When nobody gave her anything, she got agitated and started going into detail about her supposed beating. Anyone who gives her money in particular, deserves to be swindled of all their money. 

The one that really gets me is when they make comments, like oh don't look down people, as if you are obligated to give them YOUR money. Talk about nerve... No one is "high and mighty" for not wanting to give away their money to you... A few years ago, (I'm laughing as I think about this), there was a guy who would walk around MIdtown from Grand Central all the way to the West Side targeting people who he thought lived in Westchester.  He'd use the old line about how he just needed a few bucks to get him a ticket on Metro-North.  I used to say myself, that's a good one... You want to ride in style on someone else's dollar, and you really want us to believe that huh? :lol:There's the (1)(2) (4) or (5) train to the City Line and then Bee Line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Install sensors so that if someone passes through without the turnstile turning, the appropriate authorities will be notified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll usually see the same people on certain lines, even if you've hadn't ridden them in a while, but I had another type of MTA "beggar".

Around Tillary street in Brooklyn, I was driving to the BQE but at a red signal. This lady came to the window said she's from Staten Island and there was family emergency and she needed to get back ASAP but she had no money for tolls (this was before cashless tolling). She said that she spoke to the police already but they couldn't help her. 

I was like "how do you leave Staten Island with no toll money to return?" I forgot what her reply was, but a gave her a couple of dollars and drove off, I was not giving her $15 or whatever it was at the time. She might had mentioned that she was low on gas also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

You'll usually see the same people on certain lines, even if you've hadn't ridden them in a while, but I had another type of MTA "beggar".

Around Tillary street in Brooklyn, I was driving to the BQE but at a red signal. This lady came to the window said she's from Staten Island and there was family emergency and she needed to get back ASAP but she had no money for tolls (this was before cashless tolling). She said that she spoke to the police already but they couldn't help her. 

I was like "how do you leave Staten Island with no toll money to return?" I forgot what her reply was, but a gave her a couple of dollars and drove off, I was not giving her $15 or whatever it was at the time. She might had mentioned that she was low on gas also.

LOL! Unbelievable... And you gave her money... Crazy,,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's this woman that I've seen over by 137th Street and up on Grand Concourse. She came up to me twice, one each place. She sees me, sees I'm hispanic, and asks if I speak Spanish. I saw yes, and then she starts to ask for directions, all nicely and shit. Then she asks straight up if I can give her 2 dollars.

The first time I did it, I thought it was genuine, so I give.

Second time, f**k her.

  • LMAO! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

There's this woman that I've seen over by 137th Street and up on Grand Concourse. She came up to me twice, one each place. She sees me, sees I'm hispanic, and asks if I speak Spanish. I saw yes, and then she starts to ask for directions, all nicely and shit. Then she asks straight up if I can give her 2 dollars.

The first time I did it, I thought it was genuine, so I give.

Second time, f**k her.

Sucka... :D

- - - - 

My favorites are the ones that call me “brother”. White guys, black guys, Latino guys, the whole spectrum... We’re all brothers when you want my cash. <_< I had a guy come up to me tonight as I was walking to the express bus on 3rd. Arab guy I think. He’s like brother can you give me a dollar to get the train? I’ve got my earbuds in with my music on. I said bluntly, “Are you f****ing serious? Get lost”. lol Never a good time to ask me for money, but especially when I’m trying to get home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

My favorites are the ones that call me “brother”. White guys, black guys, Latino guys, the whole spectrum... We’re all brothers when you want my cash. <_< I had a guy come up to me tonight as I was walking to the express bus on 3rd. Arab guy I think. He’s like brother can you give me a dollar to get the train? I’ve got my earbuds in with my music on. I said bluntly, “Are you f****ing serious? Get lost”. lol Never a good time to ask me for money, but especially when I’m trying to get home.

It's even better when they trying to sell you candy. You get anything from a duo to a crew waiting at major malls and station and whatnot. 

More commonly, I just get people that tell stories. Like this one guy that got lost going to DC and apparently got to NY by accident and needs money for a bus ticket. Not my fault that you somehow went to NY by accident (if such story is even true).

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It's even better when they trying to sell you candy. You get anything from a duo to a crew waiting at major malls and station and whatnot. 

More commonly, I just get people that tell stories. Like this one guy that got lost going to DC and apparently got to NY by accident and needs money for a bus ticket. Not my fault that you somehow went to NY by accident (if such story is even true).

I had one lady that was on a roll, or so she thought. I told her that’s a nice story, but the answer is still NO. lol She actually thought that by having me listen to her BS story (she basically waited with me at a bus stop) that I would say wow she sold me. Not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

There's this woman that I've seen over by 137th Street and up on Grand Concourse. She came up to me twice, one each place. She sees me, sees I'm hispanic, and asks if I speak Spanish. I saw yes, and then she starts to ask for directions, all nicely and shit. Then she asks straight up if I can give her 2 dollars.

The first time I did it, I thought it was genuine, so I give.

Second time, f**k her.

This reminds me of the time I got off a B12 one night earlier this year.... I'm walking back west from KCH & some woman approaches me on the corner of Albany/Clarkson & asks me "exskoowse me, do you speak fwench".... I shake my head & say "no".... Then she just up & says "Can you help me to spare 5 dowlaas".. I just waved my hand at her & started crossing the street, just as the light turned red....

Right after I crossed the street, I say to myself, help you to spare 5 dollars....I knew what she meant, but if I wanted to be an ass, I could've said something to the effect of, Why do you need my help for you to give some mother***er  5 dollars :lol:

4 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I had one lady that was on a roll, or so she thought. I told her that’s a nice story, but the answer is still NO. lol She actually thought that by having me listen to her BS story (she basically waited with me at a bus stop) that I would say wow she sold me. Not...

It is said that men (in general) have short attention spans.... I'm by no means any anomaly in that department, so if you're going to ask me something (especially in the street{s}), it better be in less than like 10 seconds.... If I even sense that you're setting up to tell me some elaborate lie/story, I'm out.... If it's in a setting where I'm on some bus/train, you'll just get tuned out/ignored there-afterwards....

7 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

.....Like this one guy that got lost going to DC and apparently got to NY by accident and needs money for a bus ticket. Not my fault that you somehow went to NY by accident (if such story is even true).

That is an OLD hustle - back in the days where Greyhound buses were more commonly used for "skipping town" than for the reputable service it has & any regular commute or excursion it's used for now...

On occasion, I've had such swindlers approach me with that in Chinatown (for the fung wah [or whichever one of the 50,000 names they operate under as a business now] buses over there down by Chrystie, just short of the Manhattan Bridge) at Newark-Penn, at LIRR Jamaica, and at the Greyhound Bus Terminal (Philly).....

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We’re all brothers when you want my cash. <_<

I have no qualms in saying what I'm about to say.

This is something you learn at a very young age.... When a stranger walks up to you with that my brotha shit, you don't expect anything good to come out of it (for you).... Street smarts - You also better be ready to defend yourself, because that "my brotha" can turn into a "f*** you then, nigga" (or something equivalent) real quick... Depending on how bad a mood dude is in, it can get physical if he doesn't "obtain" what's being asked for....

 

Edited by B35 via Church
  • LMAO! 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I have only given money once. But that's because I forgot the ticketing machines only give change in coins, and I sure ain't carrying 6 heavy-ass gold dollars around forever trying to find a place that'll take them.

She came up with some spiel about how her daughter got medevac'ed from Jamaica Hospital to Rochester, as if that's a thing that even happens. People come up with the most nonsensical crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Increase fines for those caught. Problem solved!

Also those with unlimited cards swiping others in is still fare beating.

I am sick of people with the newest iphones jumping the turnstiles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of us who haven't yet seen:

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/docs/special-finance-committee/Fare-evasion-board-doc_181130.pdf

Takeway is about 500k daily fare evaders. I'm personally very suspicious of that number, but it's the best we've got.

Generally, I think that too much of the debate here has centered around decriminalization. It has been shown (death penalty being an excellent example) that, to an extent, the severity of punishment doesn't necessarily change the frequency of the crime. What does is enforcement -- which is where we run into (completely valid) question of social justice; why does everyone stress poor people jumping turnstiles when the rich beat tolls and fares on the LIRR every day? The solution to this is the solution to the MTA's general ills: better, more competent, and more knowledgeable management. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RR503 said:

For those of us who haven't yet seen:

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/docs/special-finance-committee/Fare-evasion-board-doc_181130.pdf

Takeway is about 500k daily fare evaders. I'm personally very suspicious of that number, but it's the best we've got.

Generally, I think that too much of the debate here has centered around decriminalization. It has been shown (death penalty being an excellent example) that, to an extent, the severity of punishment doesn't necessarily change the frequency of the crime. What does is enforcement -- which is where we run into (completely valid) question of social justice; why does everyone stress poor people jumping turnstiles when the rich beat tolls and fares on the LIRR every day? The solution to this is the solution to the MTA's general ills: better, more competent, and more knowledgeable management. 

I actually think the LIRR's ticketing system is a hindrance to better fare paying rates on the LIRR. If you get caught without the LIRR fare, you pay the onboard fare to the conductor, which is definitely more expensive but by no means punitive enough to change behavior. But reforming the conductor system is a third rail.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.