MTA Eagle Team Will Ride Local Routes In Future

Brillant93

Hope the Eagle team is different then the undercover cops (or whoever they were giving out tickets)

that used to ride buses a few years back.

Because back then they didn't bother the kids.

And one of the undercover's even told a driver I know that

they don't bother writing up the kids.

9 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

It happens everywhere. The kids are especially rampant on the B64 in the morning.

I was only going up to the train and the op had to ring up 25 F5s at just Ridge and 3rd alone.

I have to say I definitely don't remember students just walking on and not showing a pass when I was in school. If you even tried that they called you back up to the front. And wouldn't move the bus until you got off air release and everything lol.  You would at least have to a sob story to get on that one day if you lost your card. Same driver tomorrow it ain't working. Why I was kinda in shock being in S.I the last few months. Haven't seen it in Bk but then again I just ride my local routes 41,45,48,67 and 69 mostly im sure it's happening somewhere.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They act super aggressive. I see them and I pull out my paper ticket and look as if to say okay now let the testosterone settle down a bit.  It’s theft of service, but they seem to take it personally.

You would be aggressive too if your job was to stand around all day and look at tickets over and over LOL. What a stupid job. 

These guys are no MENSA members, either. One time I was standing with one of those teams waiting for the Q44. I literally buy the ticket right in front of them and get on the bus. I sit down with my hands full of packages, and one of the guys starts hassling me to show my ticket after literally just watching me buy the ticket!

The supervisor, who at least had a few more IQ points than the rest, comes over to the first genius and says "we just saw him buy the ticket, let's go" 

6 hours ago, contor said:

Hope the Eagle team is different then the undercover cops (or whoever they were giving out tickets)

that used to ride buses a few years back.

Because back then they didn't bother the kids.

And one of the undercover's even told a driver I know that

they don't bother writing up the kids.

And to me that's a problem. I think there would be outrage if you did it, but the agency needs to understand that when you have kids growing up thinking that transportation is free, it makes them feel entitled to just walk-on at all times so that even as they get older, they may not understand the importance of paying. In other words, you cultivate a culture whereby paying for transit is not seen as a priority, even when people can pay for it.

Keep in mind that they are reducing the number of eagle teams as part of the November financial plan while admitting that a portion of the ridership decline is due to fare evasion.

  NYCT Bus ridership has experienced a longer-term trend of ridership declines including a projected 5.2% decline in 2018. Significant contributing factors are competition from for-hire-vehicles and increasing rates of fare evasion. For 2019, a decline of 3.0% is projected.

The solution is to amp up enforcement and to provide better service. This is a downward spiral we are stuck in.

SBS Eagle Team Deployment

Background Details: Department of Security is streamlining SBS fare evasion staffing by changing its eagle team staffing assignment from dedicated teams for each SBS route to a borough based geographic coverage deployment plan. Each team consists of 7 positions - 6 Special Inspectors + 1Supervisor.

Program Description/ Eliminate two SBS eagle teams in the November Plan.Implementation Plan:

Removing 14 positions; Saving $1,542,000 annually. 

Security - SBS Eagle Team Efficiency

Background Details: Historically, SBS eagle team staffing was added by route. In an effort to streamline fare enforcement, Security has moved to a borough based plan. Security will reduce three teams without a significant increase in expected fare evasion. Each team consists of 7 positions - 6 Special Inspectors + 1 Supervisor.

Elimiante 3 eagle teams. - They can't spell; they aren't proofreading.

It appears as though they already started the cut for this year-saving $1,626,000 this year; $2,471,000 annually afterwards. Removing 22 positions.

There is also this:

Eliminate Police Fare Evasion Overtime

Background Details: Since 1995 NYCT has reimbursed the NYPD $4.0M annually for extra fare abuse patrols in the subway. Funding was reduced to $3.6M due to budget constraints after the 2008 recession, though restored to $4.0M in 2010.

Program Description/ The relatively small number of patrols funded by the $4.0M and a decline in TOS (theft-of-Implementation Plan: service) arrests and summons (due in part to recent public concerns on the equity of the program) suggests that the program may not be as effective in reducing TOS.

-Saving $2 million this year, and then recurring savings of $4 million.

8 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

....The drivers out there give a different type of courtesy they don't extend in Brooklyn that's for sure.

(L):lol:(L)

9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They act super aggressive. I see them and I pull out my paper ticket and look as if to say okay now let the testosterone settle down a bit.  It’s theft of service, but they seem to take it personally.

7 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

You would be aggressive too if your job was to stand around all day and look at tickets over and over LOL. What a stupid job. 

These guys are no MENSA members, either. One time I was standing with one of those teams waiting for the Q44. I literally buy the ticket right in front of them and get on the bus. I sit down with my hands full of packages, and one of the guys starts hassling me to show my ticket after literally just watching me buy the ticket!

The supervisor, who at least had a few more IQ points than the rest, comes over to the first genius and says "we just saw him buy the ticket, let's go" 

Word,... They're like high school baseball umpires with that shit....

At one point, I used to smirk when they would end up on whatever bus I was on... It eventually got to a point where I started snickering at them; I don't take them NEAR as seriously now with that fear provoking, hyper-aggressive nonsense....

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

And to me that's a problem. I think there would be outrage if you did it, but the agency needs to understand that when you have kids growing up thinking that transportation is free, it makes them feel entitled to just walk-on at all times so that even as they get older, they may not understand the importance of paying. In other words, you cultivate a culture whereby paying for transit is not seen as a priority, even when people can pay for it.

The parents of these kids aren't/haven't exactly instilled good morals into them either.... Matter of fact, they facilitate said culture of getting over when it comes to necessities & splurging on & over-valuing bullshit (for lack of a better term)....

When you had/have adults using abusing student passes metrocards, it speaks for itself.... I saw a LOT of that when I was in JHS & HS...

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

1. At one point, I used to smirk when they would end up on whatever bus I was on... It eventually got to a point where I started snickering at them; I don't take them NEAR as seriously now with that fear provoking, hyper-aggressive nonsense....

2. The parents of these kids aren't/haven't exactly instilled good morals into them either.... Matter of fact, they facilitate said culture of getting over when it comes to necessities & splurging on & over-valuing bullshit (for lack of a better term)....

When you had/have adults using abusing student passes metrocards, it speaks for itself.... I saw a LOT of that when I was in JHS & HS...

1. I know. It's like dude, it's $2.75 and it isn't your money anyway. You get paid regardless.  I've become used to those checkers from my time living in Italy. They were firm but definitely not aggressive. They'd ask for proof of payment, and either you had it or you didn't, and if you didn't you'd pay a fine there on the spot and that was it.

2. The sad part is back in the day the driver would literally turn off the bus and sit in the stop until the person or persons paid or got off and compare it to now, the issue has definitely worsened.

18 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

have to say I definitely don't remember students just walking on and not showing a pass when I was in school. If you even tried that they called you back up to the front. And wouldn't move the bus until you got off air release and everything lol.

I only saw that happen once to two girls on the S89. On the S57 most public high school kids pay/use their student pass but 99% of Farell kids and other private/catholic schools don't even bother taking anything out. If you can afford to pay $8000+ a year for high school, you can afford the bus fare.

13 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

On the S57 most public high school kids pay/use their student pass but 99% of Farell kids and other private/catholic schools don't even bother taking anything out.

This is what I'm referring to I have seen it on the S57 the few time I've taken it to New Dorp. S79 from the Mall kids just walk on and as you said don't even bother taking anything I see it all the time. I know folks have said it happens everywhere. I have a Highschool a few blocks from me I've never seen this happen in this way in my neck of the woods.  Drivers are looking for a card or at least saying what happened before waving a student on. And most students at least have a story. "Hey I don't have my card" and I'm not going to act like I haven't seen kids sneaking on thru the back door. But there's a certain level of entitlement on Staten Island IMO you don't see in the other Boroughs. They walk on dont show or say anything and drivers don't even look it's like you don't say anything I won't say anything it's expected . Now the same fare-beating on the S57 or S79 would they be treating the same as a fare beat in the same matter on a BX41 or B46 sadly IMO no.       

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

This is what I'm referring to I have seen it on the S57 the few time I've taken it to New Dorp. S79 from the Mall kids just walk on and as you said don't even bother taking anything I see it all the time. I know folks have said it happens everywhere. I have a Highschool a few blocks from me I've never seen this happen in this way in my neck of the woods.  Drivers are looking for a card or at least saying what happened before waving a student on. And most students at least have a story. "Hey I don't have my card" and I'm not going to act like I haven't seen kids sneaking on thru the back door. But there's a certain level of entitlement on Staten Island IMO you don't see in the other Boroughs. They walk on dont show or say anything and drivers don't even look it's like you don't say anything I won't say anything it's expected . Now the same fare-beating on the S57 or S79 would they be treating the same as a fare beat in the same matter on a BX41 or B46 sadly IMO no.       

I remember taking the S78 last year and one of my friends went through the back door. The B/O got out of his seat and yelled at her.

31 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I remember taking the S78 last year and one of my friends went through the back door. The B/O got out of his seat and yelled at her.

I'm sure some B/O's do. The only time I saw that from my POV was on a Sunday on the S79 around New Dorp Ln. A driver called them out.. But on a weekday ive never seen it.. But  I also understand you live in SI so you would see more.

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

I'm sure some B/O's do. The only time I saw that from my POV was on a Sunday on the S79 around New Dorp Ln. A driver called them out.. But on a weekday ive never seen it.. But  I also understand you live in SI so you would see more.

During school hours the S79 could be packed and B/O's don't want to squeeze though the bus to confront kids. Delays everyone.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

During school hours the S79 could be packed and B/O's don't want to squeeze though the bus to confront kids. Delays everyone.

And that may be true. But let’s say the same conditions apply and we swap the S79 for the Bx1 would we still look at it the same? Let’s swap Ferrell kids for Kennedy what then? Just asking if the sediment is the same across the board. Question for everyone in this conversation as well.

On 11/19/2018 at 8:55 PM, QM1to6Ave said:

I'm curious to see the stats on how many people actually pay those fines. Given the number of people that ignore parking tickets, which can get your car booted, I suspect many of the Eagle team tickets go unpaid. 

Also, they keep referring to all the Eagle Team members as retired cops. Most of the ones I see are way too young to have hit retirement. They either were never cops, or flunked out early on. 

Eagle Team is a sub position of Property Protection Agent, so that's how the young ones get in. 

On 11/18/2018 at 4:53 PM, trife86 said:

Might hurt school kids in the long run not using them. Whenever the MTA / DOE whoever the hell checks student card usage and notices a low perctange they might change the distance you need to live to receive the benefit or cut out some completely.

I can not wait for the day. 

On 11/18/2018 at 11:20 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

As a student-athlete, many times during my high school career I had practice when classes were out of session. Some bus drivers would question me when I would use it to go to practice because classes were out. I've also had weekend practices a few times and I paid or got driven, but as long as its a weekday, idc if it's Christmas Eve, I can still use my student metro if I'm going to school for practice or any other extra curricular activity outside of classes. 

See, if you look and play the part and at least get on saying "I had practice, an event, etc.," then it is what it is. 

On 11/19/2018 at 11:38 PM, RailRunRob said:

Your right.. ive taken a few routes S54,57,74 they never even pull there Metro Cards out..  the drivers out there give a different type of courtesy they don't extend in Brooklyn that's for sure.

If you just walk on without saying anything, then it's one thing. But I'm also not keeping the same energy for the entire trip, just to be politically correct. 

TA don't care, then I don't care either. Always expect the best from the people that don't pay. They get on and act out of pocket, then cool... Entire bus out of service. 

6 minutes ago, SevenEleven said:

Eagle Team is a sub position of Property Protection Agent, so that's how the young ones get in. 

I can not wait for the day. 

See, if you look and play the part and at least get on saying "I had practice, an event, etc.," then it is what it is. 

If you just walk on without saying anything, then it's one thing. But I'm also not keeping the same energy for the entire trip, just to be politically correct. 

TA don't care, then I don't care either. Always expect the best from the people that don't pay. They get on and act out of pocket, then cool... Entire bus out of service. 

7/11 be like PAY YOUR FARE HOMES!! :lol:

On 11/20/2018 at 10:09 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

2. The sad part is back in the day the driver would literally turn off the bus and sit in the stop until the person or persons paid or got off and compare it to now, the issue has definitely worsened.

14 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

I hear that! 😂

....and that ends up delaying the people who did the right thing and paid their fare....so now you paid your $2.75 and you're delayed (heck, there was one time an S62 driver refused to let a person on at Jewett....the guy got off and the B/O still didn't move the bus because he needed to "cool down" or whatever. The next S62 was 20 minutes away so we all got onto the next bus and our B/O still wasn't moving).

If the B/O feels so strongly about it, they should radio the police and have them quickly pull the farebeaters off down the line. Keep the bus moving. It doesn't do any of the fare-paying riders any good to have the bus delayed (and if the bus gets delayed on subsequent trips, then that's even worse). Some of you guys are saying "Oh well you should allow more travel time for incidents like that" and I'm sitting there saying "That's why ridership is declining in the first place". Geez, is it too much to ask to expect reliable service? And especially to not have it become unreliable over nonsense.  

21 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

And that may be true. But let’s say the same conditions apply and we swap the S79 for the Bx1 would we still look at it the same? Let’s swap Ferrell kids for Kennedy what then? Just asking if the sediment is the same across the board. Question for everyone in this conversation as well.

I dunno, some of these Bronx routes, you would think they had already been converted to SBS with the way people just walk on.

8 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

....and that ends up delaying the people who did the right thing and paid their fare....so now you paid your $2.75 and you're delayed (heck, there was one time an S62 driver refused to let a person on at Jewett....the guy got off and the B/O still didn't move the bus because he needed to "cool down" or whatever. The next S62 was 20 minutes away so we all got onto the next bus and our B/O still wasn't moving).

If the B/O feels so strongly about it, they should radio the police and have them quickly pull the farebeaters off down the line. Keep the bus moving. It doesn't do any of the fare-paying riders any good to have the bus delayed (and if the bus gets delayed on subsequent trips, then that's even worse). Some of you guys are saying "Oh well you should allow more travel time for incidents like that" and I'm sitting there saying "That's why ridership is declining in the first place". Geez, is it too much to ask to expect reliable service? And especially to not have it become unreliable over nonsense.  

I dunno, some of these Bronx routes, you would think they had already been converted to SBS with the way people just walk on.

I need to go see for myself. What are some of these routes?

38 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Oh please. You will do ANYTHING to excuse people not paying. Quite frankly drivers aren’t holding up buses for farebeaters so I don’t know why you’re bringing that up for. That happened back in the day when farebeating wasn’t tolerated the way it is today. The fact of the matter is if people paid maybe the agency wouldn’t be finding themselves in such a black hole.

58 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

...and that ends up delaying the people who did the right thing and paid their fare....so now you paid your $2.75 and you're delayed (heck, there was one time an S62 driver refused to let a person on at Jewett....the guy got off and the B/O still didn't move the bus because he needed to "cool down" or whatever. The next S62 was 20 minutes away so we all got onto the next bus and our B/O still wasn't moving).

There's a Difference between "cooling down" or taking a break (which I'm pretty sure he did) and saying no to fare beaters. I seen a handful of bus drivers stop midway on their routes just to go to the bodega and pick up a coffee or whatever. That's what lowers ridership. Not stopping because of fare evaders.

47 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

I need to go see for myself. What are some of these routes?

Bx1/2 for starters (and the Bx41 even pre-SBS). 

18 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Oh please. You will do ANYTHING to excuse people not paying. Quite frankly drivers aren’t holding up buses for farebeaters so I don’t know why you’re bringing that up for. That happened back in the day when farebeating wasn’t tolerated the way it is today. The fact of the matter is if people paid maybe the agency wouldn’t be finding themselves in such a black hole.

That S62 example was recent. Whether they're holding the buses up or not, they shouldn't be.

And clearly you refuse to read my entire post (which again, is something the MTA loves to do, pick and choose which parts of your concerns or ideas they want to answer). I specifically said that if farebeating is an issue, deal with it in a manner that doesn't delay the fare-paying passengers. Radio the police and quickly pull the farebeaters off.

Just now, MysteriousBtrain said:

There's a Difference between "cooling down" or taking a break (which I'm pretty sure he did) and saying no to fare beaters. A handful of bus drivers sto midway on their routes just to go to the bodega and pick up a coffee or whatever. That's what lowers ridership. Not stopping because of fare evaders.

No, he was sitting in his seat. It would be different if he actually stopped to go to the bathroom or something (going into a bodega to buy a drink with a bus full of passengers isn't acceptable  either as far as I'm concerned)

5 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

No, he was sitting in his seat. It would be different if he actually stopped to go to the bathroom or something (going into a bodega to buy a drink with a bus full of passengers isn't acceptable  either as far as I'm concerned)

Well than that job isn't for him then. Everyone knows how the city works. And some even know areas well enough to see patterns of where fare evasion occurs. And getting upset over that and taking time for yourself when an incident occurs dosen't work at all.

39 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The fact of the matter is if people paid maybe the agency wouldn’t be finding themselves in such a black hole.

There's no way fare-beating this that bad to where it's lisping the ship alone! an $8bn a year ship?  

Archived