MTA Eagle Team Will Ride Local Routes In Future

Brillant93

37 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Bx1/2 for starters (and the Bx41 even pre-SBS). 

That S62 example was recent. Whether they're holding the buses up or not, they shouldn't be.

And clearly you refuse to read my entire post (which again, is something the MTA loves to do, pick and choose which parts of your concerns or ideas they want to answer). I specifically said that if farebeating is an issue, deal with it in a manner that doesn't delay the fare-paying passengers. Radio the police and quickly pull the farebeaters off.

No, he was sitting in his seat. It would be different if he actually stopped to go to the bathroom or something (going into a bodega to buy a drink with a bus full of passengers isn't acceptable  either as far as I'm concerned)

IF it’s a problem?!! It is a problem!! There’s no “quick way” to deal with it. Back in the day, even when the B/O held the bus and summoned for the police, it took whatever time it took and people waited patiently. In some cases, if people didn’t want to wait, they would confront the person farebeating and kick them off of the bus.

22 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

There's no way fare-beating this that bad to where it's lisping the ship alone! an $8bn a year ship?  

Maybe it isn’t, but the reality is, the (MTA) really doesn’t know how much a year they lose from farebeating because they don’t aggressively track it. I said $8 million, but some estimates have it WAYYYY higher than that and that’s a problem when you’re required to have a balanced budget. Instead of dealing with that, they balance their budget on the backs of paying customers and the paying customers are sick of it too.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I said $8 million, but some estimates have it WAYYYY higher than that and that’s a problem when you’re required to have a balanced budget. Instead of dealing with that, they balance their budget on the backs of paying customers and the paying customers are sick of it too.

Even if you double or triple that number. You're still looking at 0.5%-1% of that $8bn.. Those are loss prevention numbers for most companies. That's already factored into a balanced budget. Again not saying you shouldn't try to get that number even lower but the cure should never outweigh the disease. Spending millions to save millions. 

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

Even if you double or triple that number. You're still looking at 0.5%-1% of that $8bn.. Those are loss prevention numbers for most companies. That's already factored into a balanced budget. Again not saying you shouldn't try to get that number even lower but the cure should never outweigh the disease. Spending millions to save millions. 

They aren’t a private company. They are a PUBLIC agency accountable to the paying public. Completely different situation here. You can’t keep coming to the public and asking for more money when you have people not paying and that number is growing. It leads to more people not paying. The fact of the matter is part of their revenue comes from PAYING passengers and they made that clear as to why they may have to cut service. If they don’t have that revenue coming in from riders, they have no choice but to raise the fares and slash service. You are trying to compare that revenue to what their budget is and the two things are separate of each other.

28 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They aren’t a private company. They are a PUBLIC agency accountable to the paying public. Completely different situation here. You can’t keep coming to the public and asking for more money when you have people not paying and that number is growing. It leads to more people not paying. The fact of the matter is part of their revenue comes from PAYING passengers and they made that clear as to why they may have to cut service. If they don’t have that revenue coming in from riders, they have no choice but to raise the fares and slash service. You are trying to compare that revenue to what their budget is and the two things are separate of each other.

Inventory is inventory no matter the setup point is the MTA is a Public Benefit Corporation. And like all corporations you there is just a margin of lost your just going to occur. There's no way around that. The State needs to secure other ways to fund the system. It's easy to point to people not paying. Again .5% of that yearly $8bn come on that's a reach. The biggest bills for the MTA is Employees and Rolling stock/Equipment.  Revenue and budget? The bottom line is that MTA should never or any Transport Be expected to fund itself fully that's crazy talk when the MTA pays back in many other aspects of economics. Budget? How does fare beating tie into budgeting if not for the fact I'm not making my revenue quota to cover my budget. Which Farebeating at best is a fraction of faction. Deferred maintenance all coming to reckoning at once, lack of Private investment and State backing on there money maker are the main culprits IMO. And the publics lack of understanding of funding and how Government works only exacerbate the situation. Never anyone to Hold accountable or put the fire under because no one knows who's running and signing off on what.  But you have to point the finger at someone makes people feel better and around and around she gos.

20 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Inventory is inventory no matter the setup point is the MTA is a Public Benefit Corporation. And like all corporations you there is just a margin of lost your just going to occur. There's no way around that. The State needs to secure other ways to fund the system. It's easy to point to people not paying. Again .5% of that yearly $8bn come on that's a reach. The biggest bills for the MTA is Employees and Rolling stock/Equipment.  Revenue and budget? The bottom line is that MTA should never or any Transport Be expected to fund itself fully that's crazy talk when the MTA pays back in many other aspects of economics. Budget? How does fare beating tie into budgeting if not for the fact I'm not making my revenue quota to cover my budget. Which Farebeating at best is a fraction of faction. Deferred maintenance all coming to reckoning at once, lack of Private investment and State backing on there money maker are the main culprits IMO. And the publics lack of understanding of funding and how Government works only exacerbate the situation. Never anyone to Hold accountable or put the fire under because no one knows who's running and signing off on what.  But you have to point the finger at someone makes people feel better and around and around she gos.

They are an AGENCY, not a corporation. You are going on ad nauseum about something that has already been stated. No one EVER said that fares made up a large part of their budget. That still doesn’t change the fact that they need part of that revenue or they have to cut service. It’s that simple. They run in part based on ridership and revenues from fare. You’re free to keep arguing about the other stuff if you want, but those are the facts. 

52 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They are an AGENCY, not a corporation. You are going on ad nauseum about something that has already been stated. No one EVER said that fares made up a large part of their budget. That still doesn’t change the fact that they need part of that revenue or they have to cut service. It’s that simple. They run in part based on ridership and revenues from fare. You’re free to keep arguing about the other stuff if you want, but those are the facts. 

The fact is the MTA is down a Billion dollars and someones going to have to fill that gap or the MTA is going to spiral into an abyss. Tightening the belt on fare-beating or anything else in the Arsenal isn't going to stop that. So nothing we're talking about is going negate that or change anything. The MTA is NYS Public Benefit Corp bud the Agency part filters under easily checkable. Again I understand there based partly on Revenues but for the third time, you can't say the ship is leaning based on something like a 1% loss. Do you know what the medical coverages for Personnel cost the (MTA) year on that budget? Not saying they shouldnt take care of there workers just saying on the accounting list there are tons of stuff that I'm checking off before I get to delinquent fares and .5%-1% lost. That 8 million dollars man people spend that on a wild weekend in Vegas. Let's understand scale and prospective here.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

IF it’s a problem?!! It is a problem!! There’s no “quick way” to deal with it. Back in the day, even when the B/O held the bus and summoned for the police, it took whatever time it took and people waited patiently. In some cases, if people didn’t want to wait, they would confront the person farebeating and kick them off of the bus.

Maybe it isn’t, but the reality is, the (MTA) really doesn’t know how much a year they lose from farebeating because they don’t aggressively track it. I said $8 million, but some estimates have it WAYYYY higher than that and that’s a problem when you’re required to have a balanced budget. Instead of dealing with that, they balance their budget on the backs of paying customers and the paying customers are sick of it too.

Not when over 50% of fare revenue goes to payroll alone...

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

The fact is the MTA is down a Billion dollars and someones going to have to fill that gap or the MTA is going to spiral into an abyss. Tightening the belt on fare-beating or anything else in the Arsenal isn't going to stop that. So nothing we're talking about is going negate that or change anything. The MTA is NYS Public Benefit Corp bud the Agency part filters under easily checkable. Again I understand there based partly on Revenues but for the third time, you can't say the ship is leaning based on something like a 1% loss. Do you know what the medical coverages for Personnel cost the (MTA) year on that budget? Not saying they shouldnt take care of there workers just saying on the accounting list there are tons of stuff that I'm checking off before I get to delinquent fares and .5%-1% lost. That 8 million dollars man people spend that on a wild weekend in Vegas. Let's understand scale and prospective here.

OMG, do I need to quote them for you to give it a rest already? That is THEIR position.  First off I’m saying it again, they don’t know what they lose annually from fare evasion. This article says that they lose up to $100 million annually and that was in 2012. If that is correct, and you go by six years that is $600 million in the hole, far more than the $8 million I said, and those figures are all over the place. Even the article says $50-75 million. Either way the difference is substantial. If it is $100 million a year that is more than half a billion, but that’s the whole point. They don’t know and that’s a problem.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/286016-ny-mta-losing-100-million-annually-to-fare-evasion/

“To give that $100 million figure some context: in 2010, the MTA cut 38 bus lines -- and reduced service on 76 more -- to save $93 million a year.”

From a service standpoint, it’s a lot.

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If the B/O feels it's a problem worth dealing with, they should deal with it in a way that doesn't affect the fare-paying passengers. Radio the police (maybe even put that "Call Police" sign up) drive the route like normal, and have the police meet the bus at the specified stop to remove the farebeater. That's quicker than sitting there waiting for the farebeater to leave or wait for the police to locate the bus and arrest the farebeater. People may look "patient" but people have places to be and nobody likes sitting through any type of delay. If bus drivers make $36 per hour, then a 5 minute delay costs more than the $2.75 in just the driver's salary alone, let alone the gas and everything else that goes into operating the bus (I've seen figures of $200 per revenue hour quoted for operating a bus. Not sure how they come up with those figures but whatever) and last but not least, the value of the time of the fare-paying passengers. Even if everybody on the bus is making minimum wage of $13 per hour, and you hold up the bus for 5 minutes for 20 passengers, that's over $21 worth of time lost. When you count the people down the line who are waiting for the bus (plus the fact that there's probably over 20 people on the bus to begin with, plus the fact that most of them make over minimum wage) and those numbers go up even more. Fare evasion should be dealt with in an efficient manner that doesn't hold up the rest of the passengers (before you misquote me and make it sound like I support fare evasion), or else you're just going to have more people turning to alternate modes of transportation.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

If it is $100 million a year that is more than half a billion, but that’s the whole point. 

Clearly your math skills aren't the sharpest. $100 million is more than $500 million?

23 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

If the B/O feels it's a problem worth dealing with, they should deal with it in a way that doesn't affect the fare-paying passengers. Radio the police (maybe even put that "Call Police" sign up) drive the route like normal, and have the police meet the bus at the specified stop to remove the farebeater. That's quicker than sitting there waiting for the farebeater to leave or wait for the police to locate the bus and arrest the farebeater. People may look "patient" but people have places to be and nobody likes sitting through any type of delay. If bus drivers make $36 per hour, then a 5 minute delay costs more than the $2.75 in just the driver's salary alone, let alone the gas and everything else that goes into operating the bus (I've seen figures of $200 per revenue hour quoted for operating a bus. Not sure how they come up with those figures but whatever) and last but not least, the value of the time of the fare-paying passengers. Even if everybody on the bus is making minimum wage of $13 per hour, and you hold up the bus for 5 minutes for 20 passengers, that's over $21 worth of time lost. When you count the people down the line who are waiting for the bus (plus the fact that there's probably over 20 people on the bus to begin with, plus the fact that most of them make over minimum wage) and those numbers go up even more. Fare evasion should be dealt with in an efficient manner that doesn't hold up the rest of the passengers (before you misquote me and make it sound like I support fare evasion), or else you're just going to have more people turning to alternate modes of transportation.

Clearly your math skills aren't the sharpest. $100 million is more than $500 million?

My math skills are just fine. The point was $100 million a year since 2012... If you bothered to read the ENTIRE post, that was pretty clear, so maybe your reading skills aren’t the sharpest.

And give me a break with this everyone is in a rush BS. Funny how I never hear you complaining about subway delays but somehow bus delays ruins your entire day. You’re a piece of work. It’s also absurd that anyone would sit back and talk about what a driver makes an hour and how much they are paid for 5 minutes. That is the last thing I’m thinking about. I could give a rat’s @ss how much a driver makes when I’m delayed. I’m thinking South my pockets,

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

My math skills are just fine. I don’t know if auto correct changed what I typed or what, but the point was $100 million a year since 2012...

And give me a break with this everyone is in a rush BS. Funny how I never hear you complaining about subway delays but somehow bus delays ruins your entire day. You’re a piece of work.

Pointless delays are pointless delays, whether it's on the bus or subway and they should be minimized where possible. The MTA shouldn't encourage a practice which causes additional delays. 

1 minute ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Pointless delays are pointless delays, whether it's on the bus or subway and they should be minimized where possible. The MTA shouldn't encourage a practice which causes additional delays. 

The only delays you bitch about are bus delays, so clearly you have an agenda. You are a subway guy, so it’s no surprise that you don’t post about your subway delays.

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The only delays you bitch about are bus delays, so clearly you have an agenda. You are a subway guy, so it’s no surprise that you don’t post about your subway delays.

Sure, and somebody who creates an entire group called "Express Bus Advocacy Group" clearly doesn't have an agenda. 😂

Funny how on one hand, you say I talk too much about how wonderful my SIM8 rides are, but on the other hand, I complain about my bus rides. Which one is it? I honestly don't recall posting too much about either my subway delays or my bus delays. Yeah, occasionally in the morning I give everybody a heads-up if there's some delay at the Lincoln Tunnel (usually if it's the Verrazanno, a bunch of other people cover it first), but that hardly qualifies as a complaint (and definitely not a complaint about an unjustified delay that the MTA had control over). 

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Sure, and somebody who creates an entire group called "Express Bus Advocacy Group" clearly doesn't have an agenda. 😂

Funny how on one hand, you say I talk too much about how wonderful my SIM8 rides are, but on the other hand, I complain about my bus rides. Which one is it? I honestly don't recall posting too much about either my subway delays or my bus delays. Yeah, occasionally in the morning I give everybody a heads-up if there's some delay at the Lincoln Tunnel (usually if it's the Verrazanno, a bunch of other people cover it first), but that hardly qualifies as a complaint (and definitely not a complaint about an unjustified delay that the MTA had control over). 

I have never had a problem saying that I prefer express buses, so your point is moot. Hello, I’ve pretty much made it clear that that is my preferred mode of transportation, and I also complain about my service, be it express buses or subways. You on the other hand clearly prefer subways and that’s fine. It would be better that you say that as opposed to you complaining about your local bus rides with no mention of any issues with the subway. Your trains are “never” delayed. You just don’t post about them because you prefer the subway, but let’s not pretend like your trains are never delayed. 

31 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have never had a problem saying that I prefer express buses, so your point is moot. Hello, I’ve pretty much made it clear that that is my preferred mode of transportation, and I also complain about my service, be it express buses or subways. You on the other hand clearly prefer subways and that’s fine. It would be better that you say that as opposed to you complaining about your local bus rides with no mention of any issues with the subway. Your trains are “never” delayed. You just don’t post about them because you prefer the subway, but let’s not pretend like your trains are never delayed. 

I'm not sure where you're getting this from that I've never complained about the subway or that my trains are "never" delayed. Now all of a sudden, I'm making all of these complaints about local buses and none about the subway.....yeah OK....I honestly don't recall the last time I complained about the local bus (yes, I've complained about the local buses, but not recently). On the weekends, I take the local bus to/from my side job, and they run reliably enough. On the weekdays, if my regular express route has an issue I take a different express route and then a local route if necessary....haven't had any recent issues that I recall....

Is there something that makes my opinions about local buses or express buses invalid because I take the subway too? What exactly are you trying to accomplish by making me admit I'm a "subway person"? Somehow my off-peak express bus proposal is a terrible idea because it came from a "subway person"? (For the record, I have 2 off-peak express lines in my neighborhood and will have a third come January, so either way I wouldn't have to take a local bus to reach the express bus unless I wanted to, if that's what you're referring to. If anything, I'm asking for some service to be cut from my area and redistributed to other areas that have no off-peak express service)

8 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I'm not sure where you're getting this from that I've never complained about the subway or that my trains are "never" delayed. Now all of a sudden, I'm making all of these complaints about local buses and none about the subway.....yeah OK....I honestly don't recall the last time I complained about the local bus (yes, I've complained about the local buses, but not recently). On the weekends, I take the local bus to/from my side job, and they run reliably enough. On the weekdays, if my regular express route has an issue I take a different express route and then a local route if necessary....haven't had any recent issues that I recall....

Is there something that makes my opinions about local buses or express buses invalid because I take the subway too? What exactly are you trying to accomplish by making me admit I'm a "subway person"? Somehow my off-peak express bus proposal is a terrible idea because it came from a "subway person"? (For the record, I have 2 off-peak express lines in my neighborhood and will have a third come January, so either way I wouldn't have to take a local bus to reach the express bus unless I wanted to, if that's what you're referring to. If anything, I'm asking for some service to be cut from my area and redistributed to other areas that have no off-peak express service)

Well when have you complained about subway service? That’s my question to you. The only complaints I’ve seen over the YEARS of you posting here are about bus service, primarily local bus service, so you’re telling me that with all of the subway delays and BS that happens with trains crawling, you somehow magically come out of that unscathed? Interesting... You must have some luck...

What makes your opinions invalid is if you only have criticisms about bus service and try to model buses to run like subways. Buses are buses. They will NEVER be subways. That includes express buses. Each mode has its purpose.

12 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

If bus drivers make $36 per hour, then a 5 minute delay costs more than the $2.75 in just the driver's salary alone, let alone the gas and everything else that goes into operating the bus (I've seen figures of $200 per revenue hour quoted for operating a bus. 

Bus drivers don't make $36/hr and the bus does not take gas, it uses diesel. 

Diesel and gas are different fuels.

18 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

OMG, do I need to quote them for you to give it a rest already? That is THEIR position.  First off I’m saying it again, they don’t know what they lose annually from fare evasion. This article says that they lose up to $100 million annually and that was in 2012. If that is correct, and you go by six years that is $600 million in the hole, far more than the $8 million I said, and those figures are all over the place. Even the article says $50-75 million. Either way the difference is substantial. If it is $100 million a year that is more than half a billion, but that’s the whole point. They don’t know and that’s a problem.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/286016-ny-mta-losing-100-million-annually-to-fare-evasion/

“To give that $100 million figure some context: in 2010, the MTA cut 38 bus lines -- and reduced service on 76 more -- to save $93 million a year.”

From a service standpoint, it’s a lot.

Okay and that's understood $100 Million a year is about a 1% -1.25% loss so say that's what I calculated. So if there cutting service to save $93M to save 38 routes we have a major problem with over a $1 B in payroll it's absolutely unacceptable that the State wouldn't just fill that $100M hole do you know how much money was made in Real estate alone in NYC last year? And most of that was built on the connectivity blanket of Transport. So it's hard for me to believe the narrative that fare-beating, Jordan buying priority lacking individuals are beating the system and City into submission. There's a hella lot of money being made right now.  The MTA's going to have to be taken care of alot better all this begging and crying broke is crazy. Give the funding to Stabilize and clean house. Shouldn't be an issue for the Businesses of NYC to take some of that weight i'd be willing to pay a bit more for direct funding. Hell without Transport I don't have a functioning business. If your Fortunes were made on the system you have an obligation to help build and maintain.  

10 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well when have you complained about subway service? That’s my question to you. The only complaints I’ve seen over the YEARS of you posting here are about bus service, primarily local bus service, so you’re telling me that with all of the subway delays and BS that happens with trains crawling, you somehow magically come out of that unscathed? Interesting... You must have some luck...

What makes your opinions invalid is if you only have criticisms about bus service and try to model buses to run like subways. Buses are buses. They will NEVER be subways. That includes express buses. Each mode has its purpose.

Yeah, and look at how many posts I've made in the bus section in general, compared to the subway section. If I discuss bus service in general more than I discuss subway service then of course more of my complaints are going to be focused on bus service. (I mean shoot, I just tried looking through my content and in the last 5 pages I couldn't even find a post in the "NYC Subway" section, the vast majority of it was on the bus section) You're really reaching at straws on this one.....

So I'd love to hear this one about how I'm modeling buses to run like subways. What, by saying people should transfer in areas with more options as opposed to fewer options? (And as if people on buses aren't transferring to begin with?)

8 hours ago, trife86 said:

Bus drivers don't make $36/hr and the bus does not take gas, it uses diesel. 

Diesel and gas are different fuels.

Fair enough, but my point still stands. 

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Yeah, and look at how many posts I've made in the bus section in general, compared to the subway section. If I discuss bus service in general more than I discuss subway service then of course more of my complaints are going to be focused on bus service. (I mean shoot, I just tried looking through my content and in the last 5 pages I couldn't even find a post in the "NYC Subway" section, the vast majority of it was on the bus section) You're really reaching at straws on this one.....

So I'd love to hear this one about how I'm modeling buses to run like subways. What, by saying people should transfer in areas with more options as opposed to fewer options? (And as if people on buses aren't transferring to begin with?)

I’m not reaching at all. You probably use the subway more than me since you claim that you have to transfer (my daily usage of the express bus doesn’t require me to transfer to any subway), so how is it then that you have no issues with subway service given all of the problems with service? I call BS. Furthermore, if you have to transfer to reach your final destination, then that means you should be using the subway a fair amount of times, yet nothing about the subway.... Nothing... Very odd...

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I’m not reaching at all. You probably use the subway more than me since you claim that you have to transfer (my daily usage of the express bus doesn’t require me to transfer to any subway), so how is it then that you have no issues with subway service given all of the problems with service? I call BS. Furthermore, if you have to transfer to reach your final destination, then that means you should be using the subway a fair amount of times, yet nothing about the subway.... Nothing... Very odd...

All this "claim" nonsense, as if I haven't run into multiple riders from your "Express Bus Advocacy" page (and this site for that matter) on my real-life commute. (As a matter of fact, how the heck would I have gotten from Staten Island to CCNY to obtain the degree to get my job if I didn't take the subway as part of my commute? You know of any direct express buses that go from Staten Island to West Harlem or Staten Island to Queens?). 

That being said, if I've made so many complaints about the bus, then show some examples. Should be pretty easy if there are so many complaints as you claim......

8 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

All this "claim" nonsense, as if I haven't run into multiple riders from your "Express Bus Advocacy" page (and this site for that matter) on my real-life commute. (As a matter of fact, how the heck would I have gotten from Staten Island to CCNY to obtain the degree to get my job if I didn't take the subway as part of my commute? You know of any direct express buses that go from Staten Island to West Harlem or Staten Island to Queens?). 

That being said, if I've made so many complaints about the bus, then show some examples. Should be pretty easy if there are so many complaints as you claim......

You completely skirted my point which wasn’t that you make so many complaints about bus service. It’s that I hear NOTHING about the subway... Ever. By comparison yes you complain far more about the local bus, so my question again is are your subway commutes that smooth that you never run into delays, or do you only complain about bus service here (whenever you do complain it’s about bus service). Answer the question. It’s a simple YES or NO response. My advocacy group and everything else you brought up is irrelevant.

You have a preference for subways. Just have the balls to admit it. Even Filippa says that, so clearly other people notice this. lol

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You completely skirted my point which wasn’t that you make so many complaints about bus service. It’s that I hear NOTHING about the subway... Ever. By comparison yes you complain far more about the local bus, so my question again is are your subway commutes that smooth that you never run into delays, or do you only complain about bus service here (whenever you do complain it’s about bus service). Answer the question. It’s a simple YES or NO response. My advocacy group and everything else you brought up is irrelevant.

You have a preference for subways. Just have the balls to admit it. Even Filippa says that, so clearly other people notice this. lol

Now you're skirting my point because you can't find all of the complaints you claimed I had made....

To answer your question, my commute overall is very reliable. In the past 5 months, I only recall any memorable delay on the subway maybe 5 times. Once was a track fire heading home (all trains were held at their respective stations so I just got out and took the (G) to (A) to the X17A as opposed to taking the (7) to the X17J like I had originally planned). Another time was when the (4) was stuck between stations for maybe 10 minutes and ended up terminating at Brooklyn Bridge once it got moving, so I just ran out and caught the X17A over there as opposed to Bowling Green, and another time was when there was a delay on northbound (4) trains so I waited about 10 minutes (with the countdown clock saying the next train was 2 minutes away the whole time) before just giving up and taking the (W) to the (7). The rest of the times were times when the (7) train was delayed heading Queens-bound and I either had to wait it out or take the (E) train.

I usually check the status of the subway lines and/or check SubwayTime, so those are the only recent times I recall where I was caught off-guard by a subway delay. There's been a few times where I checked the status of a subway line and instantly went to a different subway line because I knew there were problems in advance. Yeah, there's a few areas with excess timers and whatnot (e.g. southbound on the Lexington express between 42nd & 14th) that are annoying but it is what it is.

Same thing when I went to school at CCNY. If there was a problem with the (1) I took the (A)(B)(C)(D) and then either walked or took local buses. Occasionally I even took the (2) or (3) to 135th and walked from there. Similar to the (7) train, the (1) is also a pretty reliable line overall.

But that's the case with my express routes too. I check the traffic and switch off between lines as necessary to avoid delays. All of those SIM routes I listed (except for the SIM6 which I used to visit someone) were routes I took when my normal route (which is the SIM4/8 peak and SIM3C/4C off-peak) had some type of delay. Just take a different route and either walk or take a local bus from there. I've gotten caught in the Verrazanno traffic maybe once or twice (again, I check in advance so I know what to avoid), and then of course, there was that 4+ hour home commute last Thursday, but other than that, nothing memorable thankfully. 

I mean yeah I would love it if my neighborhood had subway service, or if the SIR at least connected to Manhattan, but obviously neither of those things are happening any time soon (though at some point, I likely will move to an area with subway service). I mean sure, I've never denied being a "subway person" and I've been pretty open about it too. I mean, to me the lengths some people will go to avoid the subway is ridiculous, and the sad thing is the MTA gave in to those people politically as far as I'm concerned, at the expense of people with fewer alternatives (and I've stated as such too)

Archived