Queens Depot Property and Environmental Prep – Casey Stengel

Union Tpke

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say... In other words, you're trying to excuse the fact that this practice occurs by saying that it's state law? That doesn't make it any better. In fact it's even worse, and it's a prime example of taxpayer dollars wasted. 

I think the point here without getting to caught up in the weeds. Is your worried about the watch when you should be focusing on the time.  This goes beyond the (MTA) Paygrade this is the State and federal level its capitalism maximize for the least amount. This is why the (MTA) needs to come out Albany's profit-driven hands.

1 minute ago, RailRunRob said:

I think the point here without getting to caught up in the weeds. Is your worried about the watch when you should be focusing on the time.  This goes beyond the (MTA) Paygrade this is the State and federal level its capitalism maximize for the least amount. This is why the (MTA) needs to come out Albany's profit-driven hands.

I'm not caught up in anything. All you're doing is validating my point.  

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say... In other words, you're trying to excuse the fact that this practice occurs by saying that it's state law? That doesn't make it any better. In fact it's even worse, and it's a prime example of taxpayer dollars wasted. 

It is literally illegal for the MTA, as a state agency, to award contracts on best value that have to do with construction of a public work - of course they don't do it, they're not trying wind up in jail and lose taxpayers millions in the court system fighting against contractors because they issued an illegal contract. You think the MTA has the will or ability to persuade lawmakers in Albany to do anything?

1 minute ago, bobtehpanda said:

It is literally illegal for the MTA, as a state agency, to award contracts on best value that have to do with construction of a public work - of course they don't do it, they're not trying wind up in jail and lose taxpayers millions in the court system fighting against contractors because they issued an illegal contract. You think the MTA has the will or ability to persuade lawmakers in Albany to do anything?

I'm not disputing any of that. All I'm saying is we have you on the one hand saying this this and this is needed for that site and RailRunRob arguing that so many other things have been built on marsh land so this should essentially be a cake walk. I'm simply stating that I don't have faith in the agency to carry out such a project, #1 because of their lack of experience and common sense, and #2 because they always pick the lowest bidder.  Those are the facts. Them being obligated by law and all of that is a separate thing entirely because some of that could be mitigated by having experienced managers run such projects.  The point is when you are inexperienced in such matters, and then you turn around and pick the lowest bidder, who more times than not cuts corners, regardless of the reason, that's a recipe for disaster.  

11 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not caught up in anything. All you're doing is validating my point.  

Point is every building and every project from Hudson Yards, To the Purple Line in LA, Lightrail in Minneapolis all operate are and built within this mentality. My question is what are you basing your standards on? What US project can you point to that doesn't have to yield these capitalistic principles and practices? 

12 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The point is when you are inexperienced in such matters, and then you turn around and pick the lowest bidder, who more times than not cuts corners, regardless of the reason, that's a recipe for disaster.  

My question is why would the biggest Agency in the country be inexperience in these types of things compared to what other transit agency?

The lowest bidder is an American standard for the most part. This the point of saying this is the (MTA) isn't in Control on that process.

I just named 5 depots built in the last 30 years under (MTA) direction no major issues why would it start now? What changed from 1989 or in 2009 and 2010 when  GunHill ,Meredith and Charleston opened. There's some type of experienced there no? My only points.

26 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Point is every building and every project from Hudson Yards, To the Purple Line in LA, Lightrail in Minneapolis all operate are and built within this mentality. My question is what are you basing your standards on? What US project can you point to that doesn't have to yield these capitalistic principles and practices? 

I'm basing my comments on the (MTA) 's track record and inexperience.  Having the lowest bidder does not automatically mean shoddy quality.  It goes further than that with the (MTA) because they have other contractual obligations that essentially impacts quality.

20 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

My question is why would the biggest Agency in the country be inexperience in these types of things compared to what other transit agency?

The lowest bidder is an American standard for the most part. This the point of saying this is the (MTA) isn't in Control on that process.

I just named 5 depots built in the last 30 years under (MTA) direction no major issues why would it start now? What changed from 1989 or in 2009 and 2010 when  GunHill ,Meredith and Charleston opened. There's some type of experienced there no? My only points.

I'm not comparing them to any other transit agency. I'm simply stating what THEY'VE stated, which is that construction is not their forte, and why would it be when they're supposed to be focused on transportation?  You can question all you want but that doesn't change my statement. They don't have experience in this area and they have to pick the lowest bidder, so from my point of view that doesn't bode well for them.  Picking the lowest bidder is the standard, but having inexperienced people in the field is not the standard.  If they were allowed to hire a consultant with expertise in the area, I think it would make a world of difference.  That's usually what happens in such cases... The idea is you hire a consultant who can keep your costs in line and help you save money here and there and spend money where needed to make the project a success.  That consultant should also save you money by advising you on actions to take or not to take during the construction process.  

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm simply stating what THEY'VE stated, which is that construction is not their forte, and why would it be when they're supposed to be focused on transportation? 

Every person I know personally that works at MTA works in MTA CC.  As in Capital Construction, two are P.E's it's their forte trust me. So I beg to differ with you there. 

Every person I know personally that works at MTA works in MTA CC.  As in Capital Construction, two are P.E's it's their forte trust me. So I beg to differ with you there. 

You can beg to differ all you want. Those are their words, not mine when asked why they've had issues with construction projects in the past. Their primarily function is to move people from point A to point B, not construction.

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You can beg to differ all you want. Those are their words, not mine when asked why they've had issues with construction projects in the past. Their primarily function is to move people from point A to point B, not construction.

I’m not begging to differ just to differ I’m at 2 Broadway talking to folks bud not reading the Post. I’m interacting with P.E ‘s in the building they have the talent there to oversee the projects I’m taking to them I don’t know what else to say.  I myself though not a certified engineer I do have a undergraduate in Civil engineering so I do have some type of training in the field so  I will hope that would stand for some type of accreditation on the topic. Yes the MTA is outsourcing to companies but there  engineers are embedded with the teams from start and to say  they are inexperienced is abit disingenuous.  I don’t always agree with (MTA) management in terms of people or money  and they should be challenge there as for talent its there. 

I’m not begging to differ just to differ I’m at 2 Broadway talking to folks bud not reading the Post. I’m interacting with P.E ‘s in the building they have the talent there to oversee the projects I’m taking to them I don’t know what else to say.  I myself though not a certified engineer I do have a undergraduate in Civil engineering so I do have some type of training in the field so  I will hope that would stand for some type of accreditation on the topic. Yes the MTA is outsourcing to companies but there  engineers are embedded with the teams from start and to say  they are inexperienced is abit disingenuous.  I don’t always agree with (MTA) management in terms of people or money  and they should be challenge there as for talent its there. 

That's all fine and good. That doesn't change what they've stated publicly.  If you have a problem with that, take it up with their spokesman.

25 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Also to add to this what the NYCTA is missing honestly  isnt construction chops.  It’s  an adequate civic transportation planning department that I don’t feel they have in place and haven’t since the MTA took over.  The MTA is definitely not in the long term planning world. That I don’t see.

Archived