CBTC - General Discussion

Jcb

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

This started as an event at Penn Station for OMNY's expansion. But, at the roughly 30 minute mark, after they did the ceremonial tap-in, Andy Byford came back to the mic and he was LIVID. The Flushing CBTC system was malfunctioning in the slushy snow for the second time this month and he made it publicly known he was NOT a happy camper with Thales. 

I've never seen Byford this mad. He's not happy at all..... This definitely overshadowed the OMNY tap LMFAO. 

Edited by danielhg121

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I've never seen Byford this mad. He's not happy at all..... This definitely overshadowed the OMNY tap LMFAO. 

It's not that surprising. Even though various transit agencies have looked to Thales, more than enough have come away disappointed/angry/whatever. It got so bad that Edmonton decided to cut ties only months ago.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

It's not that surprising. Even though various transit agencies have looked to Thales, more than enough have come away disappointed/angry/whatever. It got so bad that Edmonton decided to cut ties only months ago.

At least this isn't Hong Kong, where Thales testing collided two trains.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the CBTC equipment to be sure if it is properly understood:

NYCT has recently (2016-19) installed CBTC packages on 1,566 R-160s for use on Queens Blvd CBTC.

Last I knew that was a Gen III package. (?) for future (E)(F)(R)(M) 

Corona equipment 506 R188s are Gen II package (7).

Canarsie Line (L) for R-143s and 76 R-160A1s (8313-8376) are the original package (Gen I).

As I understand it, the new Gen III R160A1s from ENY will be able to use Queens (M) AND Canarsie (L),

BUT the cars with Gen I cars that have been used on Canarsie (L) since 2007 and 2008 will NOT be able to operate CBTC on the Queens Blvd (M).

Can anyone specifically verify?

CBTC testing is currently going on as I write this post on the QBL express between Forest Hills and presumably Jackson Heights. Both directions I saw test trains running at full speed, employees were at the front with laptops and other equipment. One was a 10 car train the other a 5 car train IIRC. 

This testing is what is causing the full local service GO. 

I think Andy Byford was disappointed,   I do believe he put on a show for the media because deep down inside he knows there is little hope at this point.  

Honestly.  Let's be realistic.   Enough with the contractors.  Until they make drastic cuts on service including long term suspensions to sit there and get the work done it will never work.   They haven't proven otherwise.  They won't. 

7 line has 20 year old equipment now.  Parts of the flushing line are going on 100 years old.  22 stations terminal to terminal.   Over a billion dollars invested.   It really doesn't run a billion dollars better than it did before.  Major improvement was the additional capacity of the R142a/188 (whatever you want to call it ) over the R62a.  Yes I'm aware you can run a extra service because the run time is shorter now.  

Doesn't look reassuring when you have multi billion dollar capital program but the contractor never tested for snow accumulation.  

18 hours ago, Late Clear said:

I think Andy Byford was disappointed,   I do believe he put on a show for the media because deep down inside he knows there is little hope at this point.  

Honestly.  Let's be realistic.   Enough with the contractors.  Until they make drastic cuts on service including long term suspensions to sit there and get the work done it will never work.   They haven't proven otherwise.  They won't. 

7 line has 20 year old equipment now.  Parts of the flushing line are going on 100 years old.  22 stations terminal to terminal.   Over a billion dollars invested.   It really doesn't run a billion dollars better than it did before.  Major improvement was the additional capacity of the R142a/188 (whatever you want to call it ) over the R62a.  Yes I'm aware you can run a extra service because the run time is shorter now.  

Doesn't look reassuring when you have multi billion dollar capital program but the contractor never tested for snow accumulation.  

These Elevated Lines that Runs Flushing Line and Astoria Line needs to be Demolished and Rebuilt because it is Crumbling very badly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 10:13 PM, subwayfan1998 said:

These Elevated Lines that Runs Flushing Line and Astoria Line needs to be Demolished and Rebuilt because it is Crumbling very badly.

I think it's too late for that, or any kind of development in terms of expanding rail in NYC.  

The future of public transportation in this city will consist of the addition of dedicate bus lanes and select bus service.  

It has the least amount of impact in terms of construction, no issues with using eminent domain, and cheap and fast to institute.  It's the quickest band-aid solution.   

20 hours ago, Late Clear said:

I think it's too late for that, or any kind of development in terms of expanding rail in NYC.  

The future of public transportation in this city will consist of the addition of dedicate bus lanes and select bus service.  

It has the least amount of impact in terms of construction, no issues with using eminent domain, and cheap and fast to institute.  It's the quickest band-aid solution.   

You're Right, Buses are Better than Trains.

Edited by subwayfan1998

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, Deucey said:

So why CBTC instead of cab signaling?

They are not exclusive. In fact I would say that cab signalling is required for CBTC since you can't do it from the wayside.

Cab signalling is a means of transmission of information, and the alternative is wayside signalling (e.g. physical signals along the railway). CBTC is specifically a moving block system, which allows for finer-grained monitoring of where trains are and thus the ability to squeeze in more trains.

On 1/5/2020 at 1:54 PM, Late Clear said:

Yeah, Thanks to Corey Johnson for killing expansion of rails in NYC in favor of Buses.

On 3/11/2020 at 11:35 AM, SubwayFan3000 said:

Yeah, Thanks to Corey Johnson for killing expansion of rails in NYC in favor of Buses.

The City Council Speaker makes transportation policy in this City now? That’s news to me. Wouldn’t de Blasio and his DOT commissioner, Polly Trottenberg, be to blame for that since it’s DOT that makes the City’s transportation policy? Even then, I wouldn’t say they’re entirely to blame for why we’re expanding the subway slower than a snail’s pace. What about absurdly high construction costs?

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

29 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

The City Council Speaker makes transportation policy in this City now? That’s news to me. Wouldn’t de Blasio and his DOT commissioner, Polly Trottenberg, be to blame for that since it’s DOT that makes the City’s transportation policy? Even then, I wouldn’t say they’re entirely to blame for why we’re expanding the subway slower than a snail’s pace. What about absurdly high construction costs?

Corey Johnson is Pro-Bus Expansion and he is also Pro-Cuomo, I'm Also blaming Corruption and Lobbyism for High Construction Cost.