China - China Railway High-speed (HSR)

In October 2018, I visited southern China, Guangdong and Guangxi provinces. October was a very exciting month for transportation projects in the Pearl Delta region, which includes Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region), Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Zhuhai and Macau (Special Administrative Region). Although I had the opportunity to, I skipped out on the new Hong Kong/Kowloon Express Train which links the city to the rest of Mainland China that had commenced operation in September 2018 as the existing public transport services were sufficient for me. Another completed project was the Hong Kong-Macau-Zhuhai mega bridge which links the three cities together. I did try, but to no avail to travel from Macau to Hong Kong for a day trip without having to transit through Zhuhai. Potentially having to complete three entry/exit border formalities was a major turn-off and other first day of service issues prevented me from doing so.

y4mmExjYGQGwE_hgYD6OkmkDu2uPJ2KZhZQ12VhY

Yangshuo Station (阳朔站) Track 2 - Awaiting Train D2972 (Guangzhou South to Sanjiang South).

y4mHVRuNa_q22xUm0Kdyz3kzslnhWXNgSRILUugD

China Railway High-speed (CRH) CRH CRH2A-2393, Harmony CRH2 Electric EMU. Maker CZQQ Qingdao Sifang Locomotive & Rolling Stock Co., Ltd. This train was D2972, on Track 2 at Yangshuo (Guangxi) Station originating at Guangzhou South in the direction of Sanjiang South.

y4mUmjSxTzoo_ceAMC4zdZ9q3oropoDLRjkN-wJrf

Standard CHR train ticket. As foreigners we cannot generally buy direct in advance. Foreigners need to go through a travel agent and get a code, which along with our passports from the ticket office at any Mainland train station. I recommend getting tickets in advance both in terms of making a reservation and getting the actual ticket prior to departure, they sell out fast and expect huge queues. The ticket will have your name, a truncated passport number (removed here for privacy reasons). Seating is allocated the moment you reserve, like an airline ticket. Some trains have three levels of service, first, second and standing.

This particular ticket, I was going from Guilinbei or Guilin North to the southern city of Zhuhai which neighbours Macau. I chose this specific ticket because if you look at the corner right, it informs you to wait in Section 4 of the Guilin North station.

y4mULQu2u3aNu88mx7lxIyjjbo5joQBAWfWWmP1_

Yeah, I scanned a snack box, mainly fruits. I honestly did not know what I was eating. In the first class carriages of my train from Shenzhen North to Yangshuo, they gave this out. In addition food and beverages were available for purchase.

Archived