World Transit Systems Random Discussion Thread

I wanted to create a thread to talk about any random comments you have relating to world transit systems. Anything relating to features of the systems, comparisons to systems in the United States, and anything that crosses your mind. 

I'll start of by saying that Montreal's Azur trains are by far some of the most unique trains I've ever seen. Bombardier really did a GREAT job on building those cars. 

On 12/1/2018 at 11:37 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I wanted to create a thread to talk about any random comments you have relating to world transit systems. Anything relating to features of the systems, comparisons to systems in the United States, and anything that crosses your mind. 

I'll start of by saying that Montreal's Azur trains are by far some of the most unique trains I've ever seen. Bombardier really did a GREAT job on building those cars. 

Did you use them in Montréal? I used to go up there regularly (lived nearby) and there’s a few other things that we can model after them.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Did you use them in Montréal? I used to go up there regularly (lived nearby) and there’s a few other things that we can model after them.

No I haven't but just watching the videos on YouTube, than entire system is VERY unique, clean, and those trains are gorgeous. I love the design, reminds me of something out of the movie iRobot. I also like the door indicator lights, that change colors at stations and when the door is closing. The main obsession I have is the propulsion and those rubber tires. I can only imagine how smooth the ride is. 

14 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

No I haven't but just watching the videos on YouTube, than entire system is VERY unique, clean, and those trains are gorgeous. I love the design, reminds me of something out of the movie iRobot. I also like the door indicator lights, that change colors at stations and when the door is closing. The main obsession I have is the propulsion and those rubber tires. I can only imagine how smooth the ride is. 

lol... The entire city is VERY clean. A friend of a friend lived there and we went up to visit him and see a perfect circle years ago. After the show, we walked Downtown and walked back to his place and I kept looking around for trash and the place was spotless. Puts NYC to shame for sure... Visit when you can. My friends would fly out of Montréal when going back to Europe so I would go up a lot to see them off or hang out. It’s a cleaner, more European version of NYC. The university that I went to wasn’t very far from where they would test the first new NYC subway cars at (Bombardier).

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

lol... The entire city is VERY clean. A friend of a friend lived there and we went up to visit him and see a perfect circle years ago. After the show, we walked Downtown and walked back to his place and I kept looking around for trash and the place was spotless. Puts NYC to shame for sure... Visit when you can. My friends would fly out of Montréal when going back to Europe so I would go up a lot to see them off or hang out. It’s a cleaner, more European version of NYC. The university that I went to wasn’t very far from where they would test the first new NYC subway cars at (Bombardier).

The language barrier would be my only problem, although French is similar to Spanish. But yes puts NYC to shame forreal. 

Here's an action video at various stations. 

4 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The language barrier would be my only problem, although French is similar to Spanish. But yes puts NYC to shame forreal. 

Here's an action video at various stations. 

Believe it or not it really isn’t that bad. Going to the Downtown area by St. Catherine Street and other areas, most people speak English and Canadian French. The signs are in Canadian French, but that’s not a big deal. I speak some French so I always helped out my friend when necessary with signs, etc. You still get a decent deal on the exchange rate too (last I checked).

• 1 year later...

Paris Metro has been testing their new MP14 trainsets for Line 14, which should enter service in October. Line 14s five station extension will open up during that time as well, and the new trains will now be 8 cars long instead of 6 (the current platforms were designed to hold 8 car trains). 

Quick summary, the metro runs rubber tired and steel-wheel lines, MP models are rubber tired and MF are steel-wheeled sets. The new MP14s were ordered in 2014, so that's how their models are described. The new MP14s will have an 8 car fully automated variant for Line 14, a 6 car fully automated variant for Line 4, and a manually driven 5 car variant for Line 11. 

They have 16 "subway" lines, Lines 1-14, 3bis, and 7bis (which are small branch lines of the respective numbered lines). Lines 1 and 14 are completely automatic with driverless trains and platform doors. Line 4 is in the process of becoming automated with platform doors and driverless trains (currently platform doors are being installed at all stations, and trains are running in CBTC mode). 

My question is, where are the current fully automated sets from Line 14, and the manually driven MP89 sets from Line 4 going? I heard the fully automated MP05 sets will go to Line 1 for service expansion, and the automated MP89 sets will be on Line 4 with the new MP14s, so the line will have a mixed fleet. I believe the manually driven MP89 sets from Line 4 will go to Line 6 to replace the MP73 sets. 

We'll see.

Below are a few videos:

MP14 set testing. 

1) Slow then full speed departure out of station. 

2) Full speed acceleration from inside.

3) Emergency Brake test

Line 4 currently undergoing installation of platform doors to become fully automated: 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

• 4 weeks later...

Paris new MP14 metro fleet currently testing on Line 14. Will hit service this month. This train has a SICK propulsion! 

@Around the Horn @Cait Sith @Lil 57 @checkmatechamp13 @Deucey @Lex @bobtehpanda @trainfan22

Thoughts so far? 

16 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Paris new MP14 metro fleet currently testing on Line 14. Will hit service this month. This train has a SICK propulsion! 

@Around the Horn @Cait Sith @Lil 57 @checkmatechamp13 @Deucey @Lex @bobtehpanda @trainfan22

Thoughts so far? 

Rolling stock propulsion, or really anything about rolling stock other than the fact that it gets me to my destination efficiently, is not my thing.

Please don't tag people in your posts just because no one is looking.

16 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Rolling stock propulsion, or really anything about rolling stock other than the fact that it gets me to my destination efficiently, is not my thing.

Please don't tag people in your posts just because no one is looking.

Was really looking to find people who are interested in subways, and who explore different metro systems other than NYC. There are a lot of threads for metro systems across the country and across the world and it would be nice if we can start talking about other locations as well. I'll remember not to include you next time. 

I really like the livery on the trains. I am also glad that Paris is going with wider trains for Lines 15, 16, and 17. The older trains are narrower than our A division trains, so these new trains will be almost as wide as the B division trains.

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Those sets on Line 13 are the MF77s, and will be replaced in 2026 by the MF19, which will replace the MF67s, MF73s and MF77s. 

It was like riding an R42, but narrow. Pickpocket grabbed my homeboy's passport on one when it was SRO. (I was smart and got a front pocket wallet, so I only got my right buttcheek squeezed.)

1 hour ago, Deucey said:

It was like riding an R42, but narrow. Pickpocket grabbed my homeboy's passport on one when it was SRO. (I was smart and got a front pocket wallet, so I only got my right buttcheek squeezed.)

When was this? Paris seems very civilized in all the videos I've watched. The MF77 is my favorite out of the older stocks before the MP89s. I love how the doors open on those sets, and the top hat design those trains have. 

Paris Metro has been doing open gangways, platform doors, and full automation in the subway for years now, and they seem so efficient with it for a very old metro system like London and NY. 

45 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

When was this? Paris seems very civilized in all the videos I've watched. 

Feb 2019.

Just cuz a place seems civilized doesn't mean everyone is good. Police and gendarmes exist for a reason beyond governments physically reminding the populace who's in charge.

7 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm not a fan of that new shade of blue replacing their iconic shade of green but they sound fantastic!

The blue was the original livery. Watch Janet Jackson's "Come Back to Me" video and you'll see RER in that same blue/white livery.

14 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

That ugly pair of double decker cars randomly in that set is throwing me off. 

My guess? That's an attempt to increase per-train capacity without adding cars. (Having those cars in a consist like that isn't exactly new.)

Shifting gears, I really like the fact that the locomotive runs on electricity. Why must it be so damn difficult to get that here? (They don't necessarily need to use overhead wires.)

The first of 72 MP14 trainsets have entered service earlier today on Line 14! These trains are BEAUTIFUL and sound AMAZING. This is how the MTAs (7) and (L) lines should've been operating by now, completely automated with platform doors. 

On 10/9/2020 at 8:35 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

That ugly pair of double decker cars randomly in that set is throwing me off. 

On 10/9/2020 at 10:43 PM, Lex said:

My guess? That's an attempt to increase per-train capacity without adding cars. (Having those cars in a consist like that isn't exactly new.)

Shifting gears, I really like the fact that the locomotive runs on electricity. Why must it be so damn difficult to get that here? (They don't necessarily need to use overhead wires.)

** Those are the bi=level green cars (first class), which offer nicer seating for a premium fare (green car ticket).

** I like this also. As for why not here, I suspect ''big oil'' have a lot to do with that.....