MTA Spells Out Service Cuts for Express Bus Service

Via Garibaldi 8

Just now, Lil 57 said:

I guess we can kiss off peak service on the BM4, QM4, BXM4 and BM5 goodbye.

It's not just that.  There are NO service cuts proposed for MNRR or LIRR riders, PLUS they're capping their fares, but no caps for express bus riders who live in transportation deserts. Disgusting.  They don't want to build subways in the outer boroughs because those are too expensive, so they provided express bus service instead and then they complain that it's too expensive to run, so essentially people in the outer boroughs aren't supposed to have decent transportation.... You can't make this **** up...

24 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's not just that.  There are NO service cuts proposed for MNRR or LIRR riders, PLUS they're capping their fares, but no caps for express bus riders who live in transportation deserts. Disgusting.  They don't want to build subways in the outer boroughs because those are too expensive, so they provided express bus service instead and then they complain that it's too expensive to run, so essentially people in the outer boroughs aren't supposed to have decent transportation.... You can't make this **** up...

And I'm pretty sure that most express bus riders in those areas aren't going to use those "alternatives". They're going to start driving/ride hauling services and that causes more congestion.

Is there a set date for congestion price to start in Manhattan?

3 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

And I'm pretty sure that most express bus riders in those areas aren't going to use those "alternatives". They're going to start driving/ride hauling services and that causes more congestion.

Is there a set date for congestion price to start in Manhattan?

From what we can see congestion pricing won't matter because of the dates that these cuts would take place.  Congestion pricing won't save the cuts, and you're right, those people will simply drive or take Uber, so this isn't solving anything. The people that have been salivating over having express buses cut will get their wish, and essentially no one will be able to get anywhere because the subways are going to be worse too based on the CUTS that the (MTA) is proposing to that, so good luck getting around. This is a complete s*** show all around.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/03/how-the-mta-plans-to-make-your-subway-commute-even-worse/?fbclid=IwAR2ZOcMquVZv_gjea1G9vTKK_OhoQrKtsxgkt4iiWynk3R-yh2wsQqjXumI

Sure, Mr. Irick can say that demographic change have caused a 29% decrease in service, but let's not act like that's the sole reason for the drop. Where's the reliability stats, Mr Irick???

Express bus service has been so unreliable and prone to consistent cuts, that riders are not going to resort to use them. This is especially true on the SC bus routes, where I fear some of the more drastic changes will occur. Of course, I feel that every borough save Staten Island will feel the impacts. 

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

From what we can see congestion pricing won't matter because of the dates that these cuts would take place.  Congestion pricing won't save the cuts, and you're right, those people will simply drive or take Uber, so this isn't solving anything. The people that have been salivating over having express buses cut will get their wish, and essentially no one will be able to get anywhere because the subways are going to be worse too based on the CUTS that the (MTA) is proposing to that, so good luck getting around. This is a complete s*** show all around.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/03/how-the-mta-plans-to-make-your-subway-commute-even-worse/?fbclid=IwAR2ZOcMquVZv_gjea1G9vTKK_OhoQrKtsxgkt4iiWynk3R-yh2wsQqjXumI

NYC is slowly turning into a car dependent city.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes they will be because it's primarily for (MTA) Bus where a number of routes will be peak only.  

That means that the following lines will likely be proposed:

BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4, BM5, BxM3, BxM4 and QM4 to name a few...

1 minute ago, Union Tpke said:

Where are the exact cuts specified?

They aren't.  They've been hiding them. I asked for the particulars and was not given an answer because they don't want to provide the info. They want to cut the service, period.  They had an "emergency" meeting today to mention their true plan which has been their plan for MONTHS, but they threw this at us at the last minute on purpose, this way we don't have time to fight it.  

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That means that the following lines will likely be proposed:

BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4, BM5, BxM3, BxM4 and QM4 to name a few...

They aren't.  They've been hiding them. I asked for the particulars and was not given an answer because they don't want to provide the info. They want to cut the service, period.  They had an "emergency" meeting today to mention their true plan which has been their plan for MONTHS, but they threw this at us at the last minute on purpose, this way we don't have time to fight it.  

Until about 15 minutes ago, I didn't know there was a meeting today. This is ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

If those 2 merge..  East New York and Starrett City service goes bye bye b/c QM15 will be queens only..

Not really, the QM15 would take its regular route to Conduit Ave and then turn onto the BM5 route to Spring Creek. Service in Lindenwood would be gone though.

Why does it seem like Charles Moerdler is the only one with a functioning brain on the MTA board? He seems to have some knowledge and history of MTA's operating budget. He can easily point out where the cost-cutting measures and I find myself agreeing with him on a lot of issues. He's really about to have a stroke (you can see veins poppin' out his head) if he has to listen to anymore crap the MTA is spewing out. Half the board members don't know what they're doing and just plain reciting facts. Another thing is he's caught up on everything, as a man who actually does his homework and research, he comes into these board meetings ready to counter half the points Byford spits out.

18 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Not really, the QM15 would take its regular route to Conduit Ave and then turn onto the BM5 route to Spring Creek. Service in Lindenwood would be gone though.

That wouldn't be a smart thing to do. Lindenwood is where a good portion of the off-peak QM15 ridership comes from. Eliminate that portion, and you lose those riders. 

Archived