MTA Says Some 500,000 Riders Fare Beat Every Day - Video Shows It May Be True

Via Garibaldi 8

21 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

8 billion in a year on NYCT alone.... I'm guessing Access-a-Ride is in that figure also but damn, that's a big red flag.

Indeed I see why MTA is a safe and desired place to work. For the NYCTA payroll, Pension and health as to be in Excess of 50-60 % ofRevenues

🤯 (Mind blown)

5 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

Indeed I see why MTA is a safe and desired place to work. For the NYCTA payroll, Pension and health as to be in Excess of 50-60 % ofRevenues

🤯 (Mind blown)

Dunno what benefits you give four employees, but I feel lucky getting company contributions to my retirement plan.  These guys get a pension AND healthcare benefits.  All things considered, given how healthcare costs have skyrocketed, it's a pretty damn good deal. lol

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Dunno what benefits you give four employees, but I feel lucky getting company contributions to my retirement plan.  These guys get a pension AND healthcare benefits.  All things considered, given how healthcare costs have skyrocketed, it's a pretty damn good deal. lol

Yeah we're going to start matching contributions to 401k starting next month definitely a great incentive the team works hard to have to take care of your people bit of a hit out front tho. But MTA seems to be above normal how does it compare to NYPD, FDNY or DSNY? Health, Pension etc. That's a lot off the top wow.

5 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

Port Authority has police.

Port Authority isn't a toll authority - it's a shipping and port maintenance authority that charges tolls to cross interstate water crossings.

Toll Authority would be The Thruway, MassPike, Ohio Turnpike Authority, etc - agencies whose sole purpose is road tolling and maintenance - none of whom have their own police force.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:12 AM, B35 via Church said:

Something I don't miss w/ my old PM commute is the incessant bitching of Islander fans on the LIRR having to go to Brooklyn for home games.... It's funny how Nassau/Suffolk patrons exude this attitude/disposition of being insular & preserving "the island" at all costs - but let there be any service alteration on the LIRR & cries of foul can & will be heard from the tip of Montauk Point to damn Hunters....point.

What they want is to have free reign to get to the city & at the same time, to keep non-lawnguylanders OUT!

#transitaintaonewaystreet #getwifdaprogram #thisaint1950 #death2nimbees

Yup. They will never take the bus, the train is a last resort, and then they wonder why they are stuck in traffic.

You're not stuck in traffic, you are traffic!

3 minutes ago, JayJay85 said:

it seems too high for city with people of 8 million people, but fare invasion on buses that numbers seems just about right. 

That’s your opinion. What FACTUAL information do you have? They have VIDEO of it. I believe it’s that high because I travel a lot and see how many people are begging for rides or just wait for someone to open the emergency gate so they can come in. Happened earlier today. Two people went right through the gate. At busier stations it can be at least a half dozen at once. There are 468 stations around the City, with farebeating happening in upper class areas to poor ones, so it is happening all over and quite frequently. People used to ask for a swipe. That isn’t so common now because people just jump over, slide through or slide under. I even saw it at Fulton Street. Older homeless guy just slowly slid right through the turnstile.

It's not far-fetched at all to believe that 1 in every 25 people aren't paying the fare on the subway & 1 in every 6 people are farebeating via the bus (esp. on certain lines over others).....

As for 500k "riders"... eh, I took it to mean 500k fares being lost per day anyway..... If they can't discern how many people ride the Bx1 & the Bx2 separately, then I'm not gonna expect them to discern how many unique's (as in, separate people) are farebeating, compared to 1 person farebeating on multiple buses and/or subways in a given day (which is something else altogether - there is a certain assumption that people are only taking public transportation no more than 2x/day)...

Take these numbers with a grain of salt....

On 12/8/2018 at 1:23 AM, Deucey said:

Port Authority isn't a toll authority - it's a shipping and port maintenance authority that charges tolls to cross interstate water crossings.

Toll Authority would be The Thruway, MassPike, Ohio Turnpike Authority, etc - agencies whose sole purpose is road tolling and maintenance - none of whom have their own police force.

Neither is the MTA just a toll authority.

With all MTA bridges and tunnels now operating under open-road tolling, is there any reason why TBTA police (wearing MTA patches) can't patrol the subways, along with state troopers to watch for fare evasion? Also, with the next fare hike, the fine for fare evasion should be made a progressive offense...first fine, 50 times the base fare, second time 100 times, third time misdemeanor.

Archived