Okay, I sympathize with MTA for once...

Deucey

...and how many of these folks that are quick to make these tweets even paid the fare!?

-----------------

As insensitive at it sounds (and I'm not justifying any of it whatsoever), when you have as many people that are fed up with the sluggishness of & the increasing delays with public transit in this city, you're going to get more & more people making uncompassionate, inconsiderate, and hateful, cynical remarks upon hearing someone unfortunately suffering some sort of ailment and/or injury that is the direct cause of some impediment to their commute....

With that said, I can't exactly bring myself to sympathizing with the MTA here though, because they're partly to blame for this culture being fostered with their overall ineptitude & incompetence.... Again, not co-signing any of this, but people have breaking points & you don't know how (or, to what levels) people are going to lash out/react..... It's the same culture that's breeding an increasing amt. of assaults on b/o's, c/r's, subway cleaners, etc....

The increasing amt. of grumpiness & agitation (and that's putting it mildly) I sense upon simply entering the subway system is quite palpable.... It's to the point where I don't even flag someone down (or otherwise notify) that they've dropped a personal item, or left something on/under the seat, for example....

This is beyond normal hustle & bustle & AFAIC, this isn't tantamount to the stereotypical "rude New Yorker" either.....

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:58 AM, Abba said:

Not,that I don’t respect them it is very sad But they couldn’t run the (F) trains express? 

99% of the time when first responders arrive on scene nothing is allowed to run on an adjacent track. If there's a fatality power will be removed on all tracks near the incident until the responders are finished, the ME makes his/her determination, the body is removed, and the RTO supervisor on scene, in consultation with the responders, notifies the RCC that everything is okay and it's safe to restore power. Police, Fire/EMS won't even enter the tracks until power is removed from the incident track(s). Nobody, including RTO and CED personnel, wants to be on a roadbed with trains moving near them. I may have missed something but what I described is the basic protocol. Carry on.

15 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

99% of the time when first responders arrive on scene nothing is allowed to run on an adjacent track. If there's a fatality power will be removed on all tracks near the incident until the responders are finished, the ME makes his/her determination, the body is removed, and the RTO supervisor on scene, in consultation with the responders, notifies the RCC that everything is okay and it's safe to restore power. Police, Fire/EMS won't even enter the tracks until power is removed from the incident track(s). Nobody, including RTO and CED personnel, wants to be on a roadbed with trains moving near them. I may have missed something but what I described is the basic protocol. Carry on.

Supports boring separate tunnels for each track. If any line in the future will ever be built with 3 tracks, this would be a use case for it.

On 12/12/2018 at 11:26 AM, CenSin said:

Supports boring separate tunnels for each track. If any line in the future will ever be built with 3 tracks, this would be a use case for it.

The problem with tunnel boring three tracks is that cost and time scale up with boring in a way that it doesn't with cut and cover.

How hard would it be to put up dividers between the tracks with occasional doors, anyways?

3 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

The problem with tunnel boring three tracks is that cost and time scale up with boring in a way that it doesn't with cut and cover.

How hard would it be to put up dividers between the tracks with occasional doors, anyways?

Doesn't boring have a larger footprint than cut-and-cover?

2 hours ago, Deucey said:

Doesn't boring have a larger footprint than cut-and-cover?

Above ground? No. But underground, yes; this is mostly because the cut and cover tends to be rectangular cross sections, whereas TBMs dig out circles with a lot of unused space on the sides.

The main problem with more than two tracks with TBMs is that with cut and cover, you're probably already cutting up the street side to side to relocate utilities and things like that, so making space for two extra tracks, if you have room, is pretty trivial.

With TBMs you either need more machines, or you have to be okay with waiting for a TBM to finish one tunnel before starting on the next one. There is a reason why four tracks tends not to be built new anymore, as the world has become more focused on TBMs.

TBMs are honestly an overrated method of subway construction. Beyond all the extra excavation required, the subways they create also cost *so* much more to operate -- you're not just looking at normal maintenance, but also a whole system of ventilators, escalators, elevators and the like required to get people deep underground (and that's a maintenance, power, and land cost). The reason folks think they work so well? Cities suck at coordinating just-beneath-the-surface mapping. 

On 12/13/2018 at 10:54 PM, RR503 said:

TBMs are honestly an overrated method of subway construction. Beyond all the extra excavation required, the subways they create also cost *so* much more to operate -- you're not just looking at normal maintenance, but also a whole system of ventilators, escalators, elevators and the like required to get people deep underground (and that's a maintenance, power, and land cost). The reason folks think they work so well? Cities suck at coordinating just-beneath-the-surface mapping. 

That is true.  They don't think things out.   It might be easier and more efficient to go back to cut-and-cover, which would make things less costly in the long run. 

Archived