Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Union Tpke

Why Your Subway Train Might Start Moving Faster

I'm listening to the video and "Safety" is such a buzz word. It's like they have to reiterate "safety" and "safely" a million times because of all the propaganda which gives a negative connotation to the word "speed".  🙄

Speed does not automatically cause accidents. You should see some comments on highway stories. People think that going the (artificially low) speed limit magically prevents accidents from happening, it's amazing.  We need Germany to be in charge of our highways.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 7-express said:

I thought it was to control for noise through the curve and to help prevent excessive rail wear.

Skeptical of that. We have no issue flinging trains around curves elsewhere. If I had to make a totally unsubstantiated guess, it's something to do with CBTC's interaction with the terminal area. 

2 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Any such installations in place right now?

And what happened with the 4th ave express track GTs? I dont get into Brooklyn at all

Yes. Pretty much anywhere you have a long downhill is an example of this, as are long express segments that got GTs during resignallings (rather than during mods), like A4 on CPW. An article detailing why this is true, if you're interested (read from "Time Control Scheme").

The northbound 4th Avenue express used to be a track with capacity-positive GTs -- I believe they were GT40s. Anyway, for whatever reason, RTO got them removed, which required signal control lines to be lengthened. For cost's sake, they just chose to extend them to the next signal, creating massive train separation distances. Not so much of an issue in regular ops, but it's one of the things that wrecks work train interactions. 

Edited by RR503
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

There was an AMNY article saying that Lex and the (M) just got some speed upgrades. Any places besides Union Sq, Canal St, and Fresh Pond Rd?

49003424737_0397af0b83_c.jpgScreen Shot 2019-10-31 at 6.57.56 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

49002680628_9b1b335e2b_c.jpgScreen Shot 2019-10-31 at 6.58.49 PM by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

• Thanks 1

@RR503 Yesterday, as the T/O of my (F) was waiting for the lineup at 75th, he was doing pushups in the cab against his seat. That was a first. Once we got yellow over yellow we were in the station for a minute or so because 71st Master put the holding lights on for some reason.

13 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

@RR503 Yesterday, as the T/O of my (F) was waiting for the lineup at 75th, he was doing pushups in the cab against his seat. That was a first. Once we got yellow over yellow we were in the station for a minute or so because 71st Master put the holding lights on for some reason.

As I have said before, faster speeds are meaning less when trains have to hold in every station to make up the time they saved.

13 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Ugh. 

7 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

As I have said before, faster speeds are meaning less when trains have to hold in every station to make up the time they saved.

Yeah but...this isn't true. Most of the time, a hold will be for some connection or for a gap rather than to hold to time. And at any rate, holds to time affect only those trips which pass through the hold point.