Why Your Subway Train Might Start Moving Faster

Union Tpke

On 12/10/2018 at 6:35 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Here is a list of a few of the planned fixes per an mta source. Not all inclusive. 

That list explains why the (R) crawls so much, omg :blink:

I remember several occasions where someone (on here, youtube, wherever) would ask why the (R) was soooooo slow and others would respond "because it's local" and the responses to that were like "... ummmm, I don't think that's it " lol. Now we see it's because the speed limit was/is 15MPH for most of the run!!!!

The T/O's that get the (R) picks must be frustrated, is it a low seniority pick or something?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

That list explains why the (R) crawls so much, omg :blink:

I remember several occasions where someone (on here, youtube, wherever) would ask why the (R) was soooooo slow and others would respond "because it's local" and the responses to that were like "... ummmm, I don't think that's it " lol. Now we see it's because the speed limit was/is 15MPH for most of the run!!!!

The T/O's that get the (R) picks must be frustrated, is it a low seniority pick or something?

If I counted right, the southbound R speedups would save 85 seconds on the full run.

16 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I'm sure there's a lot more to address than the ones on that list. The (R) is a SNAIL for most of it's run. Even going from the 60th street tunnel to Queens Plaza is dreadful.

Agreed that there are probably a lot more spots that will be fixed on the (R)

Going through the 11th st cut is very dependent on the operator. Some go the posted speed, others take it really slow. 

Yeah Manhttan-bound is actually completely devoid of timers save for a one shot coming out of the cut. Into QP you’re free until the last set of curves/grades into QP, where you get hit with GT30, then 25, then 20 and then a set of 10mph wheel detectors in the station. @shiznit1987 is right too that there are in-station approach signals that seem to sometimes permit pulling up to the home, and sometimes not (clearly I need to ride through a few more times lol). 

6 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

I've never seen the WD10 active at Queens Plaza. Though coming into the station towards Forest Hills I'd say about 40% of the time we have to wait at the signal outside of the station for a route, which is a bit annoying. 

Huh. Maybe they turned it off then -- it's been a second since I've been through QP on the (R). As for routes, yes, I dunno why they do that. As long as you have route locked in out of the cut, you should be able to platform, as the crossover control allows you to (or maybe used to, again I haven't been following QP too closely) pull to the homeball without a clear route to the north.  

The signal system at FH on D2 (the n/b local track) is the real disaster, though. Beyond the fumigation issue, you have one shot DGTs which slaughter entrance speeds. I can understand (and I actually support) DGTs in interstation areas, but the installs that govern just-after-station switches seem (to borrow slang) extra. If we can't trust T/Os to not operate suicidally, then we may as well give up all efforts to keep capacity -- pretty much everywhere in the system will have to be timed as if people are flying into them at 50. It's especially galling given that this standard of (D)GTing just-after-station speeds has been applied without uniformity. Newer interlocking rebuilds (so 6th) have just-after-station switches with low limits and high entrance speeds (think of the B2/B4 crossover north of W4, or the local->express crossovers in both directions at 34/42, or hell the 15mph curve coming out of W4 s/b) without this application of GTs and DGTs. Why can't QB (and Culver; DGTs have the same effect on capacity at Church) receive this treatment? 

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Theres a video on Youtube showing a newly added countdown LED timer to an existing one shot timer at Atlantic Ave IRT. 

Video is not my own. 

Thoughts?

<snip>

Certainly better than the video I took in the Random Thoughts thread lol.

I think ihasbeencensored makes an important point about the trip arm delay. These new signal indications (so this and the lighted T) are not performing as to spec -- the T should be off when it's not a red/ST control situation, and the 0 on this should be the real 0. Small potatoes, but it speaks to a seeming lack of detail attention in NYCT.

They also should have just done real ST numbers instead of the T, but that's a different discussion...

Edited by RR503

A new tranche of speed increases is up -- I think @Union Tpke will find some of the ones in this round to his liking... Do be warned that there are one or two mistakes here. 

https://apps.cio.ny.gov/apps/mediaContact/public/view.cfm?parm=715DF19F-5056-907F-6FFE5EBD4C704732_748A32A5-5056-9D2A-101A1F6FA028DD44

In other news, there seems to be a proto-countdown aspect on the one shot on the s/b (1) track entering Times Square. Stay tuned, I guess...

33 minutes ago, RR503 said:

A new tranche of speed increases is up -- I think @Union Tpke will find some of the ones in this round to his liking... Do be warned that there are one or two mistakes here. 

https://apps.cio.ny.gov/apps/mediaContact/public/view.cfm?parm=715DF19F-5056-907F-6FFE5EBD4C704732_748A32A5-5056-9D2A-101A1F6FA028DD44

In other news, there seems to be a proto-countdown aspect on the one shot on the s/b (1) track entering Times Square. Stay tuned, I guess...

I cannot be any happier! This is why I can't stand the people saying Byford should resign over Canarsie.

This one is huge!

(N)(W) Approaching & Departing Ditmars Blvd.

Queens

N/B & S/B

Edited by Union Tpke

12 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I cannot be any happier! This is why I can't stand the people saying Byford should resign over Canarsie.

This one is huge!

(N)(W) Approaching & Departing Ditmars Blvd.

Queens

N/B & S/B

Yes indeed! I'd be really interested to see a capacity analysis of that (and, frankly, of all of these)... 

Some other fun ones:

Line  |                     Location                       |Dir|Current|Future|

(4)(5) Departing 125th Street Manhattan S/B 10 19

(R) Departing 95th Street  Brooklyn N/B 10 15

(4)(5)  Departing Grand Central Manhattan N/B 10 15

(6)  Departing Grand Central Manhattan N/B 10 20

(E)(F)  Between Roosevelt Avenue & 71st-Continental Ave (x3 [meaning 3 signs]) Queens N/B 35/36 45/50

(4)(5) Departing Union Square Manhattan N/B 20 25

(4)(5) Between Union Square and Bleeker St Manhattan S/B 20 39

(4)(5) Between Grand Army Plaza and Brooklyn Museum Brooklyn S/B 25 35

On a more somber note, it's worth pointing out that while Cuomo claims he has no control over the MTA, this press release was hosted on the NYS website...

Edited by RR503

15 minutes ago, RR503 said:

On a more somber note, it's worth pointing out that while Cuomo claims he has no control over the MTA, this press release was hosted on the NYS website...

It has been like this for some time now. The official press release goes out to reporters first, then the NYS website, and a few hours later the MTA website.

https://apps.cio.ny.gov/apps/mediaContact/public/view.cfm?parm=AB306202-E281-5AFA-0E839077999F5C72_42B8610D-FBDF-B7E8-343E4386CD037FBB

This was released to reporters at 2 PM or so, and then went on the MTA website at about 7 PM or so. I was able to see it earlier by asking someone to email it to me.

(4)(5)  Borough Hall Brooklyn N/B 19 20  <-- Better than nothing? haha

(4)(5)Nevins St Brooklyn N/  10 20 < -- Good

(A)South end of Jay St Metrotech Brooklyn S/B 20 27 <-- Getting there, Hopefully we'll see the Fulton St Express speed up soon. 

On 1/21/2019 at 4:23 PM, RR503 said:

(E)(F) Between Roosevelt Avenue & 71st-Continental Ave (x3)   Queens N/B 35/36 45/50 

OMG yes! 👏:D 🏁

Now lets fly into Continental like we used to! First you'd hear the train going over the switches then the announcement would start "This is Forest Hills 71st Ave"

On 1/21/2019 at 5:06 PM, RR503 said:

Yes indeed! I'd be really interested to see a capacity analysis of that (and, frankly, of all of these)... 

Some other fun ones:

Line  |                     Location                       |Dir|Current|Future|

(4)(5) Departing 125th Street Manhattan S/B 10 19

(R) Departing 95th Street  Brooklyn N/B 10 15

(4)(5)  Departing Grand Central Manhattan N/B 10 15

(6)  Departing Grand Central Manhattan N/B 10 20

(E)(F)  Between Roosevelt Avenue & 71st-Continental Ave (x3 [meaning 3 signs]) Queens N/B 35/36 45/50

(4)(5) Departing Union Square Manhattan N/B 20 25

(4)(5) Between Union Square and Bleeker St Manhattan S/B 20 39

(4)(5) Between Grand Army Plaza and Brooklyn Museum Brooklyn S/B 25 35

Yes, bring back the speed!   :rock::drool: 🏁 I remember when the (4)(5) trip between Brooklyn Bridge and 14th street was so fast if you didn't hold on you'd be thrown into the east side of the car, it was wonderful! 

On 1/22/2019 at 8:49 PM, N6 Limited said:

Yes, bring back the speed!   :rock::drool: 🏁 I remember when the (4)(5) trip between Brooklyn Bridge and 14th street was so fast if you didn't hold on you'd be thrown into the east side of the car, it was wonderful! 

Occasionally I'll be on a train where the train operator keeps it wrapped up during that stretch. You really start to feel the intensity of that run hauling ass into that curve at Astor Place !

On a sidenote, with some of these speed limits being increased by 10mph + .. it makes me wonder who implemented the original speed limits in the first place and how they came to the conclusion that those were to be the top safe speeds..

12 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Finally some good news to read about from our beleaguered transit system. Glad they’re addressing these unnecessarily slow speed limits they’ve had for so long.  

When we'll be on the receiving end is another matter... Apparently this doesn't apply to the (A)(B)(C)(D) in any capacity. Still crawl from station to station...

On 1/21/2019 at 4:23 PM, RR503 said:

"Limit removed" means a train can basically accelerate to its governed limit?? Which is 50+? 

26 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

"Limit removed" means a train can basically accelerate to its governed limit?? Which is 50+? 

Correct, though in most, if not all of those cases, the train will not be getting anywhere near 50. 

11 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The two biggest ones I'm excited for are the (4)(5) between Brooklyn Bridge and Union Square, and the (E)(F) on Queens Blvd. Now I'm hoping the (B)righton Express, 4th Ave Express, and between 125th and 59th on CPW can get some 45/50 limits. 

Brighton Express is IINM pretty much unlimited from Sheepshead Bay to Prospect Park. Slowness experienced there is a function of the R68s