Why Your Subway Train Might Start Moving Faster

Union Tpke

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, VIP said:

The (J) and (Z) trains to Jamaica Center now Run into Sutphin Boulevard station without that slow crawl before entrance into the station. 

I think there might be a timer before Jamaica bound (J) and (Z) trains enter Sutphin Blvd, it’s been like that ever since I started riding the (J) and (Z) and certainly before that too

The end of the (J) is fraught. Entrance to Supthin is basically a permanent ST20 as the interlocking rarely has an established lineup through (and thus can't give trains clearance to enter at speed, lest they keep that speed through the station, trip the approach signal leaving and overshoot the home), and when they're storing trains in the tail tracks beyond Parsons, that station entrance becomes ST-only also so that you don't go barreling into the stored sets. See here:

18 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Do they? I rode the (J) on Tuesday, and it still came close to a complete stop before Sutphin.

On Friday evening the (J) I was on pulled in at the station at or around 18-22 mph. From the tunnel, no slow down or stop. 

5 hours ago, VIP said:

On Friday evening the (J) I was on pulled in at the station at or around 18-22 mph. From the tunnel, no slow down or stop. 

I’m at Sutphin now, just saw a train come in and it still slowed before it entered.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

There has been a noticeable increase in speeds during the pm peak on the (4) and (5) northbound from Brooklyn Bridge to 42nd st. Trains dont crawl the whole way like they used to. 

Same can be said about the QBL express. Jamaica bound trains move at decent speeds now during the pm peak, despite the loads at Roosevelt Ave.

Went to Forest Hills for the first time in a while and it seems the new 75th Ave interlocking has had its timers fixed. The (E) I was on was moving at normal track speed, and it appears the delays associated with the interlocking timers are pretty much gone. 

57 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

(E)(F) trains don't slow down as much pulling into 71st Ave now. But still not as fast as they used to be.

Are they going to address the downtown crawl on (2)(3)  from Canal St to Chambers?

I don’t Know why they slowed that zone down. I used to love being on the R32 (E) or (F) flying into 71 Avenue.

There are no timers entering 71 on the express tracks in either direction -- that area really only has the DGTs protecting the 75th ave switch. Crawling experienced has to do with dwell times and interlocking performance. 

They've supposedly raised limits on the n/b QB express track. Can one of our QB riders confirm?

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

There are no timers entering 71 on the express tracks in either direction -- that area really only has the DGTs protecting the 75th ave switch. Crawling experienced has to do with dwell times and interlocking performance. 

They've supposedly raised limits on the n/b QB express track. Can one of our QB riders confirm?

It seems faster, but I have been doing schoolwork, but I cannot say definitively. I will check tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, Maxwell179 said:

Idk specifics but probably around that or lower , it sometimes reduces to a crawl

Earlier this week while waiting near the front of the Jamaica bd platform at the Junction I did notice a Manhattan bd train crawling out of there. I didn't hear any horn but I still passed it off as maybe some track work going on.

Now that you brought it up I'm wondering what the real issue might be..

23 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

has anyone else noticed the Manhattan bound (J) trains going very slow when leaving broadway junction/entering chauncey ?

That’s been happening for awhile now, since last summer I noticed that. 

On 3/27/2019 at 5:08 PM, RR503 said:

Which section?

1 hour ago, RR503 said:

Roosevelt<>71. 

@RR503 On Thursday my (E)  did not get a single green after Roosevelt until midway into 71st, so I cannot say whether T/Os are going at the new limits. I saw a sign for 45 at the east end of Grand (it was 36 3 Sundays ago),  a 50 sign at the west end of Woodhaven, and surprisingly a 50 sign at the west end of 67th. I saw a DGT30 before FH, a 25, 15, and then 20 at 71. Then there was a ST30, ST20, DGT25 and DGT15.

I wrote this down after-the-fact, so I am quite sure that the signals before 71 are also GTs.

Once again my (F) waited for over a minute at 75th Avenue for an (E) to pass over the interlocking.

For the first time it what seems forever, (E) and (F) trains ran express on Queens Boulevard yesterday.

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

@RR503 On Thursday my (E)  did not get a single green after Roosevelt until midway into 71st, so I cannot say whether T/Os are going at the new limits. I saw a sign for 45 at the east end of Grand (it was 36 3 Sundays ago),  a 50 sign at the west end of Woodhaven, and surprisingly a 50 sign at the west end of 67th. I saw a DGT30 before FH, a 25, 15, and then 20 at 71. Then there was a ST30, ST20, DGT25 and DGT15.

I wrote this down after-the-fact, so I am quite sure that the signals before 71 are also GTs.

Once again my (F) waited for over a minute at 75th Avenue for an (E) to pass over the interlocking.

For the first time it what seems forever, (E) and (F) trains ran express on Queens Boulevard yesterday.

The 45 and 50 signs are new — good to hear they’re in. I take it they’re not in any of the GTed sections? 

The DGTs you mention are only active when the switch to the relays from the express is lined for the relay. Otherwise there are no non-ST time signals active on D4 during regular service around Forest Hills save for the DGT that protects the 75th ave switch (of which there is only one, on the home itself).

About merge performance at 75, look at this. Note how delays at 75 and weirdly long dwells at Roosevelt throw off the rush. 

Edited by RR503

16 minutes ago, RR503 said:

The 45 and 50 signs are new — good to hear they’re in. I take it they’re not in any of the GTed sections? 

The DGTs you mention are only active when the switch to the relays from the express is lined for the relay. Otherwise there are no non-ST time signals active on D4 during regular service around Forest Hills save for the DGT that protects the 75th ave switch (of which there is only one, on the home itself).

About merge performance at 75, look at this. Note how delays at 75 and weirdly long dwells at Roosevelt throw off the rush. 

They are not in the GTed sections. Yup, the merge performance really screws things up. Better dispatching is needed at JC and 179th.