Routes that should have never moved or stayed

Q43LTD

2 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Well the B15 and 43 escaped, let's see if there's hope for the others lol

I see hope for the 48 and 57 which FP had previously. The 60 on the other hand. 🤦🏽‍♂️ And the B13 looking like the old B18 riding through Cypress Hills and city line (good luck with that)

33 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

When reliability goes to instant shit , yes.

I agree. Let's say a bus route was in a depot that was great. Buses had good maintenance, clean and the buses were reliable. Now that route moves to a depot that is the complete opposite. Buses are always late, not well maintained and are dirty. Ridership starts to drop on that route and the routes risks being cut if ridership goes down too much.

I get all the reasons behind why certain things were said but at the same time certain depots are there to help store more buses. 

Route reliability for a depot does not really matter in my book unless said move is farther from previous depot. Some routes work for GA (and other moves). Some don't. A route is unreliable because of said depot, not said move.

However, some routes like B82 became a lot more unreliable because of the toss around between UP and ENY.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I get all the reasons behind why certain things were said but at the same time certain depots are there to help store more buses. 

Route reliability for a depot does not really matter in my book unless said move is farther from previous depot. Some routes work for GA (and other moves). Some don't. A route is unreliable because of said depot, not said move.

However, some routes like B82 became a lot more unreliable because of the toss around between UP and ENY.

UP was not willing to give up half the B6 the B82 would actually do better at UP.

4 hours ago, Just New York said:

The B4, B8, B68, B82 should have stayed at UP but I understand no space.

As far as the B4, B8 and B68.. When they were at Ulmer Park. Those routes lacked reliability issues. Thus why all shifted to Gleason. If any of those 3 routes were to return to Ulmer Park, I'd want back the 8 and 68 back. Both were easy deadheads to UP. In fact I drove through Ulmer Park today to get through Bay Ridge due to an accident on the Belt Parkway towards Shell Road.

I think the 4 & 36 should go to FB. One reason.. Easy deadhead to Sheepshead Bay and both lines interline with the B44. However, schedules are very different. One route caters to Bay Ridge and other to Coney Island/Seagate (If the TA decides to re-do Ulmer Park take the 36 to FB)

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

As far as the B4, B8 and B68.. When they were at Ulmer Park. Those routes lacked reliability issues. Thus why all shifted to Gleason. If any of those 3 routes were to return to Ulmer Park, I'd want back the 8 and 68 back. Both were easy deadheads to UP. In fact I drove through Ulmer Park today to get through Bay Ridge due to an accident on the Belt Parkway towards Shell Road.

I think the 4 & 36 should go to FB. One reason.. Easy deadhead to Sheepshead Bay and both lines interline with the B44. However, schedules are very different. One route caters to Bay Ridge and other to Coney Island/Seagate (If the TA decides to re-do Ulmer Park take the 36 to FB)

B36 is a toss because of Stilwell its close to UP. 

As far as the B/4 and B/36 changing garages, I think that the issue is space. 

If there was space, the question becomes where do the bulk of their riders originate so that is where you want to start and end your buses. On the B/4, I am speculating that the B/4 would be better off at Flatbush as the Bay Ridge portion of the route west of 4th Avenue never generated that many passengers even when I worked in Bay Ridge in the late 1960's. I do not think that has changed even though the headways on the B/34, B/1 and now B/64 have gotten longer over the years and from 13th Avenue and Bay Ridge Parkway that is the closest route.

As far as the B/36 is concerned, the same question applies but with an important caveat: What about Coney Island as the B.36 is the primary route? The Coney Island terminus is the key here as it much closer to the terminal and is the alternative to the B/74. When the route was changed from a trolley car to a bus route in 1946, the garage was West 5th Street (the trolley barn), When the trolley coach routes became bus routes on July 26, 1960 and Fresh Pond garage opened up, the B/36 along with the B/1 was transferred to Ulmer Park as West 5th Street was closed

I seriously doubt that there will any transfer of local routes into Ulmer Park as it has been designated as the Express Bus Garage for TA routes in Brooklyn. When the X27 was created it operated out of Gleason and Ulmer Park had the X28 and X 29. The TA decided to move the X27 to Ulmer Park to consolidate all the express runs out of one garage. For that to happen, local routes had to be transferred out to provide the space and the B/8 and B/68 went to Gleason.

11 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

A route is unreliable because of said depot, not said move.

A route is unreliable because of neither really.....

13 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

I agree. Let's say a bus route was in a depot that was great. Buses had good maintenance, clean and the buses were reliable. Now that route moves to a depot that is the complete opposite. Buses are always late, not well maintained and are dirty. Ridership starts to drop on that route and the routes risks being cut if ridership goes down too much.

Domino effect, basically.....

16 hours ago, Just New York said:

The B4, B8, B68, B82 should have stayed at UP but I understand no space.

For whatever the reason, the B4 & the B68 ran like garbage when they ran out of UP....

1 hour ago, Interested Rider said:

As far as the B/4 and B/36 changing garages, I think that the issue is space. 

If there was space, the question becomes where do the bulk of their riders originate so that is where you want to start and end your buses. On the B/4, I am speculating that the B/4 would be better off at Flatbush as the Bay Ridge portion of the route west of 4th Avenue never generated that many passengers even when I worked in Bay Ridge in the late 1960's. I do not think that has changed even though the headways on the B/34, B/1 and now B/64 have gotten longer over the years and from 13th Avenue and Bay Ridge Parkway that is the closest route.

As far as the B/36 is concerned, the same question applies but with an important caveat: What about Coney Island as the B.36 is the primary route? The Coney Island terminus is the key here as it much closer to the terminal and is the alternative to the B/74. When the route was changed from a trolley car to a bus route in 1946, the garage was West 5th Street (the trolley barn), When the trolley coach routes became bus routes on July 26, 1960 and Fresh Pond garage opened up, the B/36 along with the B/1 was transferred to Ulmer Park as West 5th Street was closed

I seriously doubt that there will any transfer of local routes into Ulmer Park as it has been designated as the Express Bus Garage for TA routes in Brooklyn. When the X27 was created it operated out of Gleason and Ulmer Park had the X28 and X 29. The TA decided to move the X27 to Ulmer Park to consolidate all the express runs out of one garage. For that to happen, local routes had to be transferred out to provide the space and the B/8 and B/68 went to Gleason.

From what others are saying that the 36 is better off at Ulmer Park b/c of the direct interline with the 74 at Stillwell and I definitely get that. An deadhead from FB to Nostrand Ave is about 10-15 mins. Can’t remember how long is it from CI to UP. However, the way I’m looking at this is that FB is closer for both the 4 and the 36. I may even throw in the B9. 

Although space is the biggest issue. It’s the scheduling and terminals that are the sticking point. 

17 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

That could be said for a certain depot in the Brooklyn Division. 

As for new depots: Brooklyn and Staten Island need new depots and annexes at once!  

12 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I like FB depot also, but you sound like the Met fans that want Realmuto & Machado.... Lol

7 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

From what others are saying that the 36 is better off at Ulmer Park b/c of the direct interline with the 74 at Stillwell and I definitely get that. A deadhead from FB to Nostrand Ave is about 10-15 mins. Can’t remember how long is it from CI to UP. However, the way I’m looking at this is that FB is closer for both the 4 and the 36. I may even throw in the B9. 

Although space is the biggest issue. It’s the scheduling and terminals that are the sticking point. 

Same amount of time, more or less to shoot across Neptune & up Cropsey...

3 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I like FB depot also, but you sound like the Met fans that want Realmuto & Machado.... Lol

Same amount of time, more or less to shoot across Neptune & up Cropsey...

Honestly, the hell with Machado. He wants 300 mil to come to Queens or the Bronx. No way in hell those teams breaking the bank. Keep him in LA. lol  😆 

Good looking out @B35 via Church on the UP/CI distance. UP territory is very foreign to me until yesterday traveling down the Belt and 2 accidents messed up my flow down to Bay Ridge. 

21 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Honestly, the hell with Machado. He wants 300 mil to come to Queens or the Bronx. No way in hell those teams breaking the bank. Keep him in LA. lol  😆 

Good looking out @B35 via Church on the UP/CI distance. UP territory is very foreign to me until yesterday traveling down the Belt and 2 accidents messed up my flow down to Bay Ridge. 

FB should have all KP routes for DH purpose. We not pay him 300 nothing, rather Harper if we paying 300 for a player.

Archived