Routes that should have never moved or stayed

Q43LTD

11 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Honestly, the hell with Machado. He wants 300 mil to come to Queens or the Bronx. No way in hell those teams breaking the bank. Keep him in LA. lol  😆 

Good looking out @B35 via Church on the UP/CI distance. UP territory is very foreign to me until yesterday traveling down the Belt and 2 accidents messed up my flow down to Bay Ridge. 

I don't really watch too much sports anymore, but I already told my siblings, don't even bother discussing the Yankees with me, or especially asking me to go to a game if Machado ends up on there... Something about that MF-er I never liked from jump & it has nothing to do with his abilities/accomplishments- it's not about the whole lack of hustling bit, nor the fact that he wants a shit ton of money.... You know how you can just look at someone & end up leering at them (hating their guts).... Ughk, fu©k that dude.

Belt Pkwy, ehh.... I don't remember the last time I took the Belt to get to/from work.... When I first started working out here, I would sometimes take the Belt (via Southern state) all the way to 7a (rhyme unintended) for Nathans.... I'm not f***ing with that bootleg nathans on Hillside/Herricks.... Anyway, last time I took the Belt, period, was to pick up fam' from the airport a couple weeks ago....

The distance.... Yeah, sure, no problem :thumbs up:...

I thought that the B/36 drivers did one half on the B/6 and the other half on the B/36?

UP  provides the school runs on the B/9 now. I think that the route went to 5th Avenue (now Gleason) in November 1978.

If my memory serves me correctly, we discussed another depot in Brooklyn in Canarsie some time ago on the forum. I remember posting that it was a good idea with a great location in an industrial area around Foster Avenue and East 105th Street.  

8 minutes ago, Interested Rider said:

I thought that the B/36 drivers did one half on the B/6 and the other half on the B/36?

UP  provides the school runs on the B/9 now. I think that the route went to 5th Avenue (now Gleason) in November 1978.

If my memory serves me correctly, we discussed another depot in Brooklyn in Canarsie some time ago on the forum. I remember posting that it was a good idea with a great location in an industrial area around Foster Avenue and East 105th Street.  

What would be the point of having another depot in that area? There’s East New York and Spring Creek Depot there. I don’t think logistically it would benefit the MTA if they built another one there because there’s already coverage. 

1 hour ago, Interested Rider said:

That my area always felt that a garage could help that area. ENY does ok on the B17, B42, B82 but still kinda of far. The B9 still has UP school Trippers and FB has Trippers in the B1 & B6.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 1:13 PM, B35 via Church said:

I like FB depot also, but you sound like the Met fans that want Realmuto & Machado.... Lol

Same amount of time, more or less to shoot across Neptune & up Cropsey...

On 12/18/2018 at 1:20 PM, Future ENY OP said:

Honestly, the hell with Machado. He wants 300 mil to come to Queens or the Bronx. No way in hell those teams breaking the bank. Keep him in LA. lol  😆 

On 12/18/2018 at 1:57 PM, B35 via Church said:

I don't really watch too much sports anymore, but I already told my siblings, don't even bother discussing the Yankees with me, or especially asking me to go to a game if Machado ends up on there... Something about that MF-er I never liked from jump & it has nothing to do with his abilities/accomplishments- it's not about the whole lack of hustling bit, nor the fact that he wants a shit ton of money.... You know how you can just look at someone & end up leering at them (hating their guts).... Ughk, fu©k that dude.

Machado or Harper don't deserve 300 mil...bad enough Stanton got it. Anyway, back to the thread, anyone miss 126 or Walnut lol

On 1/16/2019 at 11:28 PM, Q43LTD said:

Machado or Harper don't deserve 300 mil...bad enough Stanton got it.

None of these athletic actors do.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:28 PM, Q43LTD said:

Anyway, back to the thread, anyone miss 126 or Walnut

* 126th, somewhat, but not... really.
I put it like that because while I miss the depot itself (or, the fact that it was a depot), I never really cared for its locale.

* Walnut, yes (nostalgic reasons)....

Brooklyn Division: I'll say the B1 (should be at Gleason), B7 (from ENY), B8 (weekday trips running on and off from Brownsville, especially the short turns from Brownsville to Newkirk), B13 (reverting to FP once almost all vestiges of the former B18 were eliminated), B15 (when at Grand), B20 (weekday short-turns), B38 Catalpa (should be at FP), B43 (when it was at Grand; it's right at Gleason now), B48 (should be at Grand), B60 (should be at ENY), B82 (should be at UP), Q58 (should never have left FP).

(I have the B57 as a toss-up between ideally at GA or FP.)

Curious: how many B8 trips have run-on and run-offs from Brownsville as opposed to Bay Ridge? The cross-borough deadhead is a killer. Also, how was the B9 scheduled when it was out of Ulmer Park?

Queens: B100, BM3, BM4, (should be at FLA), Q11/21 (should be at JFK), Q23 (should be at LaGuardia), Q31 (from QV to CS; this route should be at Jamaica), Q39 (ideally at FP), Q41 (should be at JFK), Q52 SBS (should be at Far Rockaway), Q64 and QM4 (should never have left College Point), Q67 (ideally at FP)

The Q44 only makes sense at Stengel because I'm not sure Jamaica can handle artics, and the other choice would be Bronx Division which would cause union problems with ATU jobs going to the TWU).

For MTA Bus route moves, the MTA got it right by moving the former Steinway Transit routes to LaGuardia, and the Q38 to College Point, but got it wrong with the Q23, Q64, and QM4, in my opinion. Union issues might be what would prevent the QM21 from shifting to JFK, the Q39, Q67 and B100 from MTA Bus to NYC Transit (Fresh Pond for the Q routes and Flatbush for the B100), and the BM3 and BM4 from SC to either FLA or UP (remember, Spring Creek is considered a Queens garage). For the Q39 although both LGA and FP are TWU 100 garages, I don't know if the former MTA Bus TWU garages have the same contract, and for SC and FLA/UP, while SC is TWU 100A now, they don't have the same contract as the mainline TWU 100.

Bronx: Bx5 (vestiges of the former Bx54 should be at WF), Bx22 (should be at KB - run-on and run-off from Fordham or Bedford Park), Bx32 (should never have left KB), Bx39 (should never have gone to KB - should be at WF)

The closing of Walnut Depot after less than 15 years really messed up things. The MTA did get it right with the Bx41 though, which was once the borough's longest route (running from 136 Street to 241 Street). 

Staten Island: S57 and S59 (should be at Castleton)

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

Staten Island: S57 and S59 (should be at Castleton)

The SIM22 should also be at Yukon or Meredith.

If Meredith was turned into a fully functioning depot, the S46/96, S62/92 and the SIM33C would be moved there. 

Today I saw so many empty Q58's leaving Flushing during the evening peak. I've never seen that many empty buses on the 58 in my life. Either there was a massive service increase or Grand Av ain't doing much about their bunching. Either way, it was much better at Fresh Pond. Some days I pass by the stop to see no bus and a line going through the entire length of the bus stop and on others, I see more buses than available space at the terminal. 

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Why is this a recurring theme with this depot....

8 hours ago, IAlam said:

Today I saw so many empty Q58's leaving Flushing during the evening peak. I've never seen that many empty buses on the 58 in my life. Either there was a massive service increase or Grand Av ain't doing much about their bunching. Either way, it was much better at Fresh Pond. Some days I pass by the stop to see no bus and a line going through the entire length of the bus stop and on others, I see more buses than available space at the terminal. 

Gentlemen, there is one lesson to this. 

Grand Avenue can’t even do right with the routes they even maintain with exception of the B38 (and that’s a issa fact)  i work Downtown and see 38’s more on the route than the other bus routes they operate. 😂🙄

14 hours ago, IAlam said:

I have, even during it's Fresh Pond days....there have been times where I've seen buses get to Queens Blvd or by the LIE pretty empty.

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

I have, even during it's Fresh Pond days....there have been times where I've seen buses get to Queens Blvd or by the LIE pretty empty.

Yes, but the issue has gotten worse under Grand. I would have a hard time believing that service reliability has not changed. The gaps and bunching are bigger than they nornally are when they were at FP. There's seven buses as I speak on the Q58 between 103rd and 108th Streets heading to Flushing right now.

OTOH, the B57 is more reliable now that it is at FP. Buses are more evenly spaced (even though there's still bunching amd lateness).

The Q58 always had a history of bunching but there would always be a couple of stragglers that wouldn't be with the rest of the group. Nowadays it's theses buses only travel in heards, they refuse to stray from the pack. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:29 AM, Future ENY OP said:

Gentlemen, there is one lesson to this. 

Grand Avenue can’t even do right with the routes they even maintain with exception of the B38 (and that’s a issa fact)  i work Downtown and see 38’s more on the route than the other bus routes they operate. 😂🙄

This is separate of anything involving Grand, but for whatever the reason, reliability got steadily & quite noticeably better on the overall B38 when it got LTD service.... Before the fact, the Seneca buses would come whenever they wanted & you counted your lucky stars if a Met. av bus showed up (I don't miss those 30+ min waits along that cemetery up there at all), because there were that much more Seneca buses....

I remember when the B38 was one of the least reliable routes out of FP....

20 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I'm guessing Maspeth, Queens next to a creek was not a great place to house buses serving Northern Brooklyn routes?

Apparently not.... But it's an adequate haven for them raccoons out there though !

18 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

OTOH, the B57 is more reliable now that it is at FP. Buses are more evenly spaced (even though there's still bunching amd lateness).

It's just good to see more & more people using it b/w Red Hook & Downtown... Guess people have grown tired of the notorious sardining going on, on the B61 (or the (F)).....

21 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

....The problem is location if you ask me.

In conjunction with that narrow ass bridge impeding traffic/exacerbating DH time, yeah.....

• 4 weeks later...

Everytime I look into this thread, I see that most of y'all are Complaining that Grand Avenue is the Source of Unreliability for Most routes on here. (the only ones I'm aware of that come out of that Depot are the Q58, Q59, and B38). Could it be that the location of Grand Avenue Depot was poorly placed?

12 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Everytime I look into this thread, I see that most of y'all are Complaining that Grand Avenue is the Source of Unreliability for Most routes on here. (the only ones I'm aware of that come out of that Depot are the Q58, Q59, and B38). Could it be that the location of Grand Avenue Depot was poorly placed?

With all the heavy truck traffic in the area,  I am of belief location is a major flaw..

On 2/7/2019 at 7:37 AM, Chris Alleyne said:

The B15 and B43 out of Grand was horrible! As for me, I wished the B65 never left JG. Miss seeing CNG buses on there. I also noticed something weird about the former B51 line. It did a lot of depot swapping in it's final years. From the early 90s threw 2004 it was out of JG depot. Then in 2004 it was transferred over to East NY depot where  it stayed until 2008 when it got moved again to Grand Avenue depot. It spent the rest of it's existents there until it was canned in June 2010 when the "doomsday budget cuts" occurred. I do remember that even though the B51 was at JG until 2004, it stopped using CNG buses long before that point. Back in the early 2000s (just before 9/11) I remember seeing the original New Flyer C40LFs when they were new working on there alongside the Orion V CNGs and those 3 CNG RTS's. After the Towers were destroyed, it was nothing but  TMC's and Novas from that point on.

It never made sense having the B45 out of ENY and the B65 out of Gleason though, especially when the Crown Heights end is closer to ENY than the western end (Columbia Street first, Fulton Mall later) is to Gleason. That was a wise route transfer. As for the B51, that route, had it stayed, would have belonged best in Manhattan Division (Quill) extended to Battery Park City...the deadhead being up the West Side Highway with a 35 mph speed limit.

Now, as for Grand Avenue, one solution that should be done is to control the bridge with a traffic light, where it remains green each way for 45 seconds apiece with an 8 second red. The problem is that there aren't too many industrial zones where one can place a garage...and the site used to be a graveyard for retired buses.

If MTA Bus and NYCT have their boundaries eliminated completely, Grand Avenue would make a lot more sense as there are a lot of routes that could transition to Grand.

Archived