Wanted to know more about Part Time Bus Operator and comparison to current employment

zbrush

Hi,

I received my letter to begin the hiring process as a part time MTA Bus Operator.  I currently work for New York City and wanted to compare and learn the benefits with MTA vs my current position.  

My current city job is full time of 40hrs a week.  It's 15/hr but after all deductions and union dues is aprox. 10/hr.   I work 5 days a week from mon to sat with a rotating day off.  If I'm off Tues this week, I'll be off Wed next week and then Thurs after that week etc.  With this job I receive 11 holidays, 12 vacation and 9 sick days which are paid per year.  I am allowed to volunteer on Sun. for vacation time, so as long as you have time you can take off as long as you desire.  I currently have GHI, dental and vision.  They do also offer deferred compensation up to 75% which I'm invested into the 457 plan.  Both before and after tax.  The only real drawback to this position is that they don't offer room for advancement.  I'm at tier 6 and the pay isn't going to increase anytime soon.  

I receive my Class B CDL license July of 2017.  I believe I have a really good chance of being hired.  But what is Part Time Bus Operator?  How many hrs is it?  The letter says the position is 22.84/hr.  But I'm worried they aren't going to give me that many hours.  What kind of benefits would I receive and would they be better with MTA?  The fact that it's part time is throwing me off a bit.  Am I allowed to volunteer for time?  Would taking a part time position with MTA lead to a full time position?  Any insight would be helpful.  The main concern I have for this position is learning the routes.  I understand that I can be working in any borough but is it possible to ask for a desired one?

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, zbrush said:

Hi,

I received my letter to begin the hiring process as a part time MTA Bus Operator....

Click here for the "pro" and "con" list. In addition, as per the rules of the website, please post in that thread from now on. We want you to continue to ask questions; however, at the same time, it doesn't make sense to have numerous threads/topics open for the same discussion.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Archived