Hiring Freeze In the Metro North

rtm19m

I applied for a Metro North custodian position and I made it all the way to the drug and physical test (and passed). But then I found out that there is a hiring freeze going on now.

I just have a few questions, and if anyone could answer with anything I would greatly appreciate it.

1. How often do these freezes happen?

2. How long do they usually last?

3. Will I have to go through the hiring steps again after the freeze or will it pick up where it left off?

4. Can I apply for other departments or is it a freeze for all departments?

5. What is the turn over for current custodians?

Thanks again everyone.      (Just joined so im sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rtm19m said:

I applied for a Metro North custodian position and I made it all the way to the drug and physical test (and passed). But then I found out that there is a hiring freeze going on now.

I just have a few questions, and if anyone could answer with anything I would greatly appreciate it.

3. Will I have to go through the hiring steps again after the freeze or will it pick up where it left off?

Thanks again everyone.      (Just joined so im sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread)

The hiring freeze is due to the (MTA) ‘s financial standing. As an aside, you should ALWAYS know where your employer stands financially because if you don’t you can be laid off. If you do work for them, you should be sure to keep up on the latest, be it through your Union and/or through (MTA) board meetings. I’ll let @Truckie answer the other questions.

I was unaware of a hiring freeze.  As far as the length of the freeze is anyone's guess.   There is a turnover for custodians as they often move on to bigger and better things within.  I know that isn't much of a help but I'm unfamiliar with what goes on in recruitment. 

2 hours ago, Truckie said:

I was unaware of a hiring freeze.  As far as the length of the freeze is anyone's guess.   There is a turnover for custodians as they often move on to bigger and better things within.  I know that isn't much of a help but I'm unfamiliar with what goes on in recruitment. 

It was mentioned in a previous MTA Board meeting in terms of how MNRR would trim their costs going forward.

I am in an exact same situation.

My drug test was just a week after the board meeting / hiring freeze.

I wonder if I could be contacted again if MNRR starts hiring again?

I would like to know when they start hiring again?

Thanks for any answer.

On 12/18/2018 at 11:26 PM, rtm19m said:

Was the position for grand Central terminal?

Thank god I found this thread. Last night I received an invitation to come in and take a test for HVAC Technician with MNRR. Why did they invite me during a hiring freeze? The test is on the 25th of January. Does anyone know what I can expect from this test and the competitiveness level? It doesn't seem like many people are taking it, compared to other exams like Conductor 6601 (which I'm also under). Any information helps, guys! Thanks.

Did you hear anything back yet from Metro North? Also how did you here about the freeze? I go in for a PAT and medical JAN 25th 

1 hour ago, Stan14 said:

Did you hear anything back yet from Metro North? Also how did you here about the freeze? I go in for a PAT and medical JAN 25th 

They didn't tell me about the freeze.

The recruiter told me that they cannot offer the job anymore.

But I googled and found out that the board members and our governor decided for a fair hike and MTA restructuring.

It was mid December.

I also see that job postings at MTA website went down.

But my situation is different than yours.

So if I were in your shoes I would still go to the medical.

Good luck.

10 minutes ago, Begi said:

They didn't tell me about the freeze.

The recruiter told me that they cannot offer the job anymore.

But I googled and found out that the board members and our governor decided for a fair hike and MTA restructuring.

It was mid December.

I also see that job postings at MTA website went down.

But my situation is different than yours.

So if I were in your shoes I would still go to the medical.

Good luck.

When did you take the test?

On 1/4/2019 at 3:10 PM, RedViper90 said:

Thank god I found this thread. Last night I received an invitation to come in and take a test for HVAC Technician with MNRR. Why did they invite me during a hiring freeze? The test is on the 25th of January. Does anyone know what I can expect from this test and the competitiveness level? It doesn't seem like many people are taking it, compared to other exams like Conductor 6601 (which I'm also under). Any information helps, guys! Thanks.

That's my question. I was invited to test's for the MNRR. Why would they do that if they aren't hiring, including the cleaner test everyone else mentioned on here. 

25 minutes ago, CrazyD said:

That's my question. I was invited to test's for the MNRR. Why would they do that if they aren't hiring, including the cleaner test everyone else mentioned on here. 

That is my question too.

No idea.

Looks like some of them want to hire a new guy.

Then the management rejects this because of some reason.

Is there anybody who could answer my question?

How long could the hiring freeze take?

Thank for any answer.

4 hours ago, Begi said:

That is my question too.

No idea.

Looks like some of them want to hire a new guy.

Then the management rejects this because of some reason.

Is there anybody who could answer my question?

How long could the hiring freeze take?

Thank for any answer.

When did you take the test?

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:10 PM, RedViper90 said:

Administering a test isn't always done for immediate vacancies.  Sometimes they are given for future vacancies.  Regardless of a hiring freeze, they would still want a pool of potential hires once the freeze is lifted.

As far as HVAC Tech compared to conductor 6601?  For one, an HVAC tech is not perceived as a desired position for the layperson.  Secondly, the conductor position is NYC Transit.  The HVAC position is Metro North.  People living in the city won't necessarily drive to New Haven or Brewster or Croton Harmon to work.

The next board meeting for the MNRR is January 22nd. I doubt anything changed much as far as the hiring freeze or financial standings but one can dream right? Hopefully we all hear good news, they also stated there is one once a month. If we are in a pool like truckie say's then patience is what we all need. Good luck to anyone taking test's in the near future as well for other positions such as trades, engineering, etc. 

6 hours ago, CrazyD said:

The next board meeting for the MNRR is January 22nd. I doubt anything changed much as far as the hiring freeze or financial standings but one can dream right? Hopefully we all hear good news, they also stated there is one once a month. If we are in a pool like truckie say's then patience is what we all need. Good luck to anyone taking test's in the near future as well for other positions such as trades, engineering, etc. 

Thanks CrazyD

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, when did you have your test and interview?

On 1/4/2019 at 1:18 PM, Begi said:

Yes. The position was at Grand Central.

Was this for Station Attendant or regular Custodian? I check my application on the MTA website and the title for the postion I interviewed for changed from Custodian to Traveling relief custodian.