Hiring Freeze In the Metro North

rtm19m

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Gacerra1 said:

Staten island railway is different from metro north, as long island rr is also different. They are all handled differently. 

Gotcha, yeah I was suprised I got the call for an interview. Track worker seems like a good gig. Hope I get in. 

Thanks for the info!

I believe all the benefits are generally the same some what getting a call from the mta for a position is like hitting the lotto. NYCT is civil service and you have to take a test to be appointed. The other commuter railroads you apply and they pick you. Best of luck to you! 

On 6/15/2019 at 1:19 PM, FrankRizzo said:

Gotcha, yeah I was suprised I got the call for an interview. Track worker seems like a good gig. Hope I get in. 

Thanks for the info!

Good luck on the interview frank! This may not be a major issue but the only big difference between the major railroads and NYCTA I believe is the pay frequency. I'm unsure of SIRTOA's benefits and pay. I have only applied to a few positions with them and no call backs. I've only had luck with metro north as far as interviews and testing. 

1 hour ago, CrazyD said:

Good luck on the interview frank! This may not be a major issue but the only big difference between the major railroads and NYCTA I believe is the pay frequency. I'm unsure of SIRTOA's benefits and pay. I have only applied to a few positions with them and no call backs. I've only had luck with metro north as far as interviews and testing. 

Thanks @CrazyD !  Yeah I interviewed with Metro North over 6 months ago and havent heard anything.  I think starting pay for SIRTOA is $22.60 and goes up to 29 and change after 4 years. 

I'm re-writing my resume this week. Do you think it's a bad idea to list an off the books job? I worked off the books doing construction for a few months until I found the job where I'm at now.

Any info helps

Thanks!

2 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Thanks @CrazyD !  Yeah I interviewed with Metro North over 6 months ago and havent heard anything.  I think starting pay for SIRTOA is $22.60 and goes up to 29 and change after 4 years. 

I'm re-writing my resume this week. Do you think it's a bad idea to list an off the books job? I worked off the books doing construction for a few months until I found the job where I'm at now.

Any info helps

Thanks!

It's off the books so i'm unsure. Everyone here says to DISCLOSE EVERYTHING. I am unsure in that situation. I would imagine yes but have some sort of proof of it. 

18 hours ago, Gacerra1 said:

They will ask for professional references and i had to submit wage and income forms from irs , pay stubs and w-2’s. I woudnt disclose off books. IMO

Professional references being supervisors and co-workers? I have a family friend who's in the MTA and another who just retired from the LIRR, should I put their names down? 

On 6/15/2019 at 1:19 PM, FrankRizzo said:

Thanks for the info!

how did your interview go frank what was the process I have a interview Friday for track worker 

11 hours ago, roadster991 said:

I believe they won't lift the hiring freeze until after the consultants do their thing with streamlining the agencies back office operations.  It was supposed to be end of June, its probably more like end of July.

Thanks for the info roadster! Did you hear that from the last board meeting? Seems like it has been a long time now. I spoke to some MNRR employee's a couple months ago at GCT saying alot of retirements going on within the agency this year. 

On 6/29/2019 at 9:45 AM, CrazyD said:

Thanks for the info roadster! Did you hear that from the last board meeting? Seems like it has been a long time now. I spoke to some MNRR employee's a couple months ago at GCT saying alot of retirements going on within the agency this year. 

Drafts of the report by the consulting firm are supposedly out, should be released this month.  I read in a newspaper article its not very good like lacks details ... lol hope its rejected

Edited by roadster991

Hey guys,

I was looking over the applications I put in for the MTA and noticed that some say applied and some say passed pre screening. I'm looking at my application for track worker and it says I passed the pre screening and next to it says screening results passed. The passed screening results showed up after my interview and It's the only application that says I passed for both. Does this mean theres a good chance of being called?

Thanks

FRANK

8 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Hey guys,

I was looking over the applications I put in for the MTA and noticed that some say applied and some say passed pre screening. I'm looking at my application for track worker and it says I passed the pre screening and next to it says screening results passed. The passed screening results showed up after my interview and It's the only application that says I passed for both. Does this mean theres a good chance of being called?

Thanks

FRANK

hey guys,

If you had an interview already, make sure you check your e-mail for any messages regarding a background check.   HR may or may not tell you one is coming, so take a look...Check all your folders SPAM etc. A 2nd interview or starting a background check would be the next step.  But I still believe they are under a hiring freeze and will delay this.  No news is good news.

Edited by roadster991

16 hours ago, roadster991 said:

hey guys,

If you had an interview already, make sure you check your e-mail for any messages regarding a background check.   HR may or may not tell you one is coming, so take a look...Check all your folders SPAM etc. A 2nd interview or starting a background check would be the next step.  But I still believe they are under a hiring freeze and will delay this.  No news is good news.

Ok thank you roadster I will keep an eye out. Yeah me, frank, and thinklikeamango have not heard anything since our interviews. That step is before the medical and drug test? 

On 7/6/2019 at 8:55 PM, roadster991 said:

hey guys,

I’ve completed the written exam, background check, Practial exam and panel interview. I was told there are no classes being scheduled at this time, but to keep an eye on my emails as that can all change very quickly. 

MNRR employees I’ve spoken too said they keep hearing the freeze should be gone by fall. So i guess I’ll just wait. 

1 hour ago, FrankRizzo said:

Well I just got an email from staten island railway and it looks like I didnt get the job. Very depressing. Hopefully I'll hear back from Metro North for the custodial position one of these days. 

in the meantime I guess I'll keep applying 😩

How did you think the interview went? Was it a panel?

I have my physical ability test on tuesday for MNRR.  I’ve accepted my conditional offer. Class is sept. Heard 10-15 guys will be hired. 

53 minutes ago, Gacerra1 said:

How did you think the interview went? Was it a panel?

I have my physical ability test on tuesday for MNRR.  I’ve accepted my conditional offer. Class is sept. Heard 10-15 guys will be hired. 

Staten island interview and Metro north were both panel interviews. I thought the staten island one went great but I was wrong. The metro north one wasnt bad but it was before a big snow storm and was kinda rushed. I feel like I could of answered the questions better. 

Thats awesome man, good luck! What position is your physical ability test for?