MTA Bus Taken on Joyride - MTA Doesn’t Notice Until Over Eight Hours Later

Via Garibaldi 8

42 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

And this was a D60HF out of all things...

1010 is an XN60.

I'm surprised that whoever this joyrider was didn't over-react when he found the bus was capped at 40 mph. It was probably left on the street after running out of fuel.

Most agencies don't have key starters on their buses, but SEPTA in Philadelphia is an outlier in this regard, in part because some of their major transit centers are also bus garages (like the Frankford Transportation Center, which also has a depot in the middle of it, and the 69th Street Terminal, encompassing another garage).

3 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not exactly getting why the bus was sitting there; a shelter for off-duty b/o's.... from what???

They do it at Flatbush during driver change.. B/Os are usually in there wait...  They usually use a SBS XD40 at Flatbush and N.. My guest Due to weather temps and conditions..

18 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not exactly getting why the bus was sitting there; a shelter for off-duty b/o's.... from what???

They have it for express buses too.  I've seen it on Staten Island by the old X17J/X30 stop (that last old pick-up stop).  There would be an express bus further up with B/Os hanging out there.  Apparently there are also "shuttle buses" where a B/O will take B/Os to start their trips.

24 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They have it for express buses too.  I've seen it on Staten Island by the old X17J/X30 stop (that last old pick-up stop).  There would be an express bus further up with B/Os hanging out there.  Apparently there are also "shuttle buses" where a B/O will take B/Os to start their trips.

Oh, the shuttling I get.... I've also seen b/o's embark on other buses (that are in service) along some (local) route to whatever destination, for whatever purpose.....

So there's that possibility of a bus parked somewhere... as a makeshift shelter for a relief point, huh? Hmpf, learn something everyday....

I'll never look at a bus on layover the same ever again.

5 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

My wife has issues parking our 3 row SUV this person drove a 60-foot bus around the City and didn't put a dent in it? They had to some type of CDL training and use of mirrors? What am I missing?

The dedication of a thief is unparalleled.

16 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Oh, the shuttling I get.... I've also seen b/o's embark on other buses (that are in service) along some (local) route to whatever destination, for whatever purpose.....

So there's that possibility of a bus parked somewhere... as a makeshift shelter for a relief point, huh? Hmpf, learn something everyday....

Yep.  You don't see them very often for the express buses, but they're out there.  I'm pretty sure there are some at the hot spots like 6th & 36th too for guys to keep warm.

2 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Lol at this story! And who stole the bus... Darius?! Probably not, seems like something he’d do.

An earlier time it happened, it was bus 9057 about a month before it was retired. It was an off-duty driver who took the bus out unauthorized and it was found in Nassau County. I cannot rule out a current or former MTA driver on this.

3 hours ago, Just New York said:

ENY has one on Glenwood Road & Rockaway Parkway usually a 1999 Nova it was #9580 for a While.

Come to think of it I've seen some buses on Utica and Eastern Parkway a few weeks ago when I went to GameStop over there. It Literally had swing bus in the front window. It was an older RTS don't remember the number 

Modern MCI and VanHools are designed like this. 

On modern MCI and VanHools the master switch and engine start buttons are push buttons. No keys needed. The security switch is no more than a driver's light switch (VanHool) and stepwell light switch (MCI).

Can the driver pull the battery breaker handle or disable the engine via the remote start box in the engine compartment?

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:55 AM, Transbusfan said:

They do it at Flatbush during driver change.. B/Os are usually in there wait...  They usually use a SBS XD40 at Flatbush and N.. My guest Due to weather temps and conditions..

I see those SBS XD40s at Flatbush Avenue and Avenue N when I come home from college at around 4:00 PM. Do they normally stay there for the length of the PM Rush?

On 12/27/2018 at 6:36 PM, Polohow1122 said:

Modern MCI and VanHools are designed like this. 

On modern MCI and VanHools the master switch and engine start buttons are push buttons. No keys needed. The security switch is no more than a driver's light switch (VanHool) and stepwell light switch (MCI).

Can the driver pull the battery breaker handle or disable the engine via the remote start box in the engine compartment?

This is paired with an additional security step such as the SauconTDS system, in most instances that I've seen. 

In my opinion, this has an easy low-tech solution, although it may not have prevented the theft of bus 1010, which was a swing bus...a padlock like the American Lock 2000 Series on the local buses, and using the locks already installed on the express buses. To me, this solution would probably cost something like $100-125 per local bus, and only the cost of standardizing the locks on the express buses. Not everything requires a high-tech solution, although there should be a remote ability to shut off a bus suspected of being stolen.

Archived