Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
RedViper90

MTA Metro North Railroad: HVAC Technician Test

Hello, guys! Happy New Year!

I received an email regarding the test for the position of HVAC Tech for the MNRR. In the email they asked me to call their office to confirm my future attendance and secure a spot for the test. I did not expect this email after all this time since I applied back in August of 2017 while I was still attending an HVAC trade school here in Florida. However, I called and secured my spot and will be flying out to NY for the January 25th test date. I'm extremely excited to fly back home for this potential job opportunity.

With that being said, is anyone else on this boat? What will this exam be like? I'm on the list for Conductor 6601, Sanitation (been a couple years). Will the test be anything like a city a exam? If anyone has any information on this stuff, please, let me know on this thread or direct me to any existing thread, if any, regarding this HVAC Technician test for the Metro North. Thanks, guys! See you January 25th.

3 minutes ago, RedViper90 said:

Hello, guys! Happy New Year!

I received an email regarding the test for the position of HVAC Tech for the MNRR. In the email they asked me to call their office to confirm my future attendance and secure a spot for the test. I did not expect this email after all this time since I applied back in August of 2017 while I was still attending an HVAC trade school here in Florida. However, I called and secured my spot and will be flying out to NY for the January 25th test date. I'm extremely excited to fly back home for this potential job opportunity.

With that being said, is anyone else on this boat? What will this exam be like? I'm on the list for Conductor 6601, Sanitation (been a couple years). Will the test be anything like a city a exam? If anyone has any information on this stuff, please, let me know on this thread or direct me to any existing thread, if any, regarding this HVAC Technician test for the Metro North. Thanks, guys! See you January 25th.

I do not know how the city exam works. I took the machinist test, and it really test your knowledge in the trade itself with an additional mechanical aptitude test along with tool identification (example; picture of a tool must answer proper name for shown tool). Also, basic math in the trades with reading and comprehension. I imagine the HVAC test will be the same and really in depth into the trade, basically meaning you must know your trade. I don't doubt you can do it, especially if you're in school for it and work a job in the field. I wish you good luck and hopefully someone can better answer your questions more than me. 

11 minutes ago, CrazyD said:

I do not know how the city exam works. I took the machinist test, and it really test your knowledge in the trade itself with an additional mechanical aptitude test along with tool identification (example; picture of a tool must answer proper name for shown tool). Also, basic math in the trades with reading and comprehension. I imagine the HVAC test will be the same and really in depth into the trade, basically meaning you must know your trade. I don't doubt you can do it, especially if you're in school for it and work a job in the field. I wish you good luck and hopefully someone can better answer your questions more than me. 

That’s actually very good insight there, man. I really didn’t have any idea of how they do their exams but I think that wouldn’t be too unreasonable of them. I will make sure I polish up on my knowledge I learned in school last year and explore as much as I can at my current HVAC job. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it, truly.