2018 Weekend Station and Line Closures

Lance

…Or possibly a case for continuous closures rather than the standard method of construction work.

With 2018 behind us, we can take a look at how good (or how bad depending on who you ask) weekend service last year. Using the weekly maps created for the planned service changes, we can see which lines were the worst to use in the effort to get around in 2018. As the Fix and Fortify closures of Clark St and the structure rehabilitation projects on the Culver and Sea Beach lines will skew the calculations against these lines, such long-term projects are not included in the ranking.

Read more: Source (also includes the full raw data breakout for those interested)

Excellent write up, Lance. 

I for one think that if they're going for this new 'improved' Canarsie plan, they may as well do it as two-track closures. Saves you the crowding issue at Bedford (only every other or every third train runs through, meaning you get lots of people waiting) and it also forces the MTA to do real mitigation. Oh, and it cuts the work period in half. 

Generally, I'd love to see the insufferable and interminable single direction or all weekend closures on at least the outer borough branches be replaced by a week or so of just full shutdown. I say that because not only are those routes not capacity critical, but they're also the hardest hit by weekend service reductions -- a single direction closure on the (F), for example, means waiting for a once-every-twelve-minutes train twice. In the core, this becomes a harder battle, but I think that using periods of low ridership (the Xmas week, Thanksgiving Week, late August, etc) to do even some partial shutdowns would go a long way. Imagine how much faster the 34th/W4th interlocking cutovers would have gone if they'd got a week in August or something -- I wouldn't have had to rely on the (G) all summer. 

6 hours ago, Lance said:

…Or possibly a case for continuous closures rather than the standard method of construction work.

With 2018 behind us, we can take a look at how good (or how bad depending on who you ask) weekend service last year. Using the weekly maps created for the planned service changes, we can see which lines were the worst to use in the effort to get around in 2018. As the Fix and Fortify closures of Clark St and the structure rehabilitation projects on the Culver and Sea Beach lines will skew the calculations against these lines, such long-term projects are not included in the ranking.

Read more: Source (also includes the full raw data breakout for those interested)

So what exactly was the point of suspending the (L) between Broadway Junction and 8th Av on weekends?

22 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

So what exactly was the point of suspending the (L) between Broadway Junction and 8th Av on weekends?

I question that too. At least, have trains run to Myrtle-Wycoff. 

6 hours ago, Lance said:

For a moment @Lance, I thought you owned this site. Do you? I read some of this and man. 32 weekends for particular closures and it looks like no work was done at all (though a majority of us don’t really know for sure). Welp, that’s typical (MTA) for ya!

11 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

I question that too. At least, have trains run to Myrtle-Wycoff. 

For a moment @Lance, I thought you owned this site. Do you? I read some of this and man. 32 weekends for particular closures and it looks like no work was done at all (though a majority of us don’t really know for sure). Welp, that’s typical (MTA) for ya!

Apparently it was something to do with re writing the signaling code on that stretch to prepare for the (L) train shutdown. But there hasn't been a single G.O at least from what I remember that had the (L) running only between Bedford Avenue and Rockaway Parkway in a good long while.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 11:13 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Nah, I just run that blog. Harry owns this site. We'd all be in trouble if I ran this forum. :D

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, Lawrence St said:

Apparently it was something to do with re writing the signaling code on that stretch to prepare for the (L) train shutdown. But there hasn't been a single G.O at least from what I remember that had the (L) running only between Bedford Avenue and Rockaway Parkway in a good long while.

If I had to wager a guess, along with the signal recalibration work, they also wanted to get the line in the best shape possible during the closure. It would really add insult to injury if they had to close off another part of the Canarsie line during the tunnel outage. Of course, with the changes to the plan, the whole thing is moot.

Archived