Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Via Garibaldi 8

Bus speeds to increase 25 percent by 2020, Mayor de Blasio vows

Recommended Posts

On 2/16/2019 at 9:28 PM, Deucey said:

Nah.

NYC needs fewer signalized intersections, but that would require changing driver behavior to something akin to taxicab geometric routing.

Yes, this is what makes driving in Nassau County tolerable, there are traffic signals but not at EVERY intersection.  Even at night it would be cool if they could turn some signals to flashing yellow and flashing red late night. Why do you have to sit at a red light with no other vehicles around just to cross the intersection or even make a right turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Yes, this is what makes driving in Nassau County tolerable, there are traffic signals but not at EVERY intersection Even at night it would be cool if they could turn some signals to flashing yellow and flashing red late night.

That'd require NYC DOT to actually do traffic measuring and control.

I guess being from a state where everywhere but SF and LA the intersections have sensor in the road that detect cars waiting and change lights from red to green made me hate driving in NYC and NJ since waiting 60 seconds when there's no traffic is stupid.

And it's not like road salt clogs those sensors up - Lake Tahoe and the entire Sierra Nevada get more snow than downstate NY and still have them.

So I'm pretty sure it's just laziness and intransigence that keeps progress from happening.

32 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

Why do you have to sit at a red light with no other vehicles around just to cross the intersection or even make a right turn.

On one hand, given how these cabbies roll, I understand "No right on red." Especially after the first time I drove in NYC and got lit up for doing it in my cousin's car and got off because I had a California driver license.

But my issue is that aside from the obscenely narrow streets, these signals aren't timed to facilitate good traffic flow. There's no good reason for only being able to go three-four blocks on an avenue before hitting a red; or having street signals timed so short and out of sequence that even when a car goes through a green it gets stuck blocking avenue traffic lanes because the next one is red. These things should be synchronized better.

But what REALLY gets me??

You're on Park or Broadway or any other street with a median. You're turning left. Why can't you proceed with completing your turn - cuz by not, you're stopping through uptown/downtown traffic.

Manhattan needs left turn lanes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Deucey said:

That'd require NYC DOT to actually do traffic measuring and control.

I guess being from a state where everywhere but SF and LA the intersections have sensor in the road that detect cars waiting and change lights from red to green made me hate driving in NYC and NJ since waiting 60 seconds when there's no traffic is stupid.

And it's not like road salt clogs those sensors up - Lake Tahoe and the entire Sierra Nevada get more snow than downstate NY and still have them.

So I'm pretty sure it's just laziness and intransigence that keeps progress from happening.

NY has sensors on roads, outside of NYC. Within NYC its mostly just timer based 24/7, which is dumb.

 

17 hours ago, Deucey said:

But my issue is that aside from the obscenely narrow streets, these signals aren't timed to facilitate good traffic flow. There's no good reason for only being able to go three-four blocks on an avenue before hitting a red; or having street signals timed so short and out of sequence that even when a car goes through a green it gets stuck blocking avenue traffic lanes because the next one is red. These things should be synchronized better.

But what REALLY gets me??

You're on Park or Broadway or any other street with a median. You're turning left. Why can't you proceed with completing your turn - cuz by not, you're stopping through uptown/downtown traffic.

The timing is absolutely horrible, they figured it out and started putting them in sync (Bushwick Ave) or in a sequential pattern (Manhattan Avenues) but then Vision Zero came about and they need to "calm traffic".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.