Gov. Cuomo set to propose new congestion pricing plan to fix subways

Via Garibaldi 8

Gov. Cuomo set to propose new congestion pricing plan to fix subways

Video: https://abc7ny.com/video/embed/?pid=5077720

Dave Evans reports on the governor's congestion pricing plan.

Monday, January 14, 2019 07:01PM

NEW YORK (WABC) --

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is set to propose a new congestion pricing plan to ease traffic in Midtown Manhattan and help fund the MTA.

If the governor gets his way, anyone going south of 60th Street will pay a new toll.

Last year's proposal was $11.52 per trip for cars, and $25.34 for trucks. Sources say this year's plan will probably be very similar.

All the new money, about $600 million a year, would go to fix the city's subways.

But the governor is also proposing to tear up the MTA and run things himself. He calls the troubled agency a mess.

"When everyone is in charge no one is in charge," said Cuomo. "I am willing to assume responsibility but I'm not doing it without authority."

"I do commend the Governor for stepping up and saying he wants responsibility for the MTA," said New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio. "I think there's something good there."

The mayor praised the governor Monday, saying that if he can fix the subway, go to it. But as for the governor's plan to force the city to pay for half the repairs, de Blasio said there is not enough money.

"If anyone thinks that money can be found in the city budget they may be smoking marijuana," said the mayor. "So the fact is it just isn't there"

A new poll out Monday shows most New Yorkers support congestion pricing 52 to 39 percent.

Cuomo says if it doesn't go through this year it'll likely never happen.

The official debate on this kicks off Tuesday in Albany with the governor's budget address.

Source: https://abc7ny.com/5077274/?ex_cid=TA_WABC_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5c3d45bc9ac56400016678cb&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1B5mjCvGF5O7W3nBN-ajxyh3NohiD5t8Wb1CV_crRwTqL_fE7ca8BA5Bg

"When everyone is in charge no one is in charge," said Cuomo. "I am willing to assume responsibility but I'm not doing it without authority."

"....But as for the governor's plan to force the city to pay for half the repairs, de Blasio said there is not enough money."

:blink:

He must've gotten zapped with an electrical charge if this is his idea of being in charge..... If you're willing to assume responsibility, you don't push half of the fiscal responsibility on the city...

Who's making these rules here... What part of the game is this....

9 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Hopefully, this will go through.  Something is needed to be done to cut down on traffic in Midtown.

Reliable funding.

All this Congestion Charge is is forcing NYers to directly subsidize (MTA) so Albany doesn't have to. Had Albany just restored the funding it cut a decade ago, we'd probably have a reliable (MTA) and less congestion because all those damn gypsy cabs wouldn't be traipsing Midtown looking for fares or Uber hails.

In 8 years, my native California went from a $27 billion deficit from the recession and Enron screwing us on power to a $9 Billion surplus. And in the process restored a large part of the state transit subsidy Schwarzenegger and now former Governor Jerry Brown cut.

What the hell has New York State been doing?

38 minutes ago, Deucey said:

Reliable funding.

All this Congestion Charge is is forcing NYers to directly subsidize (MTA) so Albany doesn't have to. Had Albany just restored the funding it cut a decade ago, we'd probably have a reliable (MTA) and less congestion because all those damn gypsy cabs wouldn't be traipsing Midtown looking for fares or Uber hails.

In 8 years, my native California went from a $27 billion deficit from the recession and Enron screwing us on power to a $9 Billion surplus. And in the process restored a large part of the state transit subsidy Schwarzenegger and now former Governor Jerry Brown cut.

What the hell has New York State been doing?

Trying to run the same game they did when Lotto was first introduced. That Lotto money was believed to be in addition to the state funding already in place. Too bad the idea wasn't chiseled into stone tablets at the time. All this chatter about congestion pricing and a lockbox for transit funding sounds good to many younger folks but as someone who has lived through several bond issues where the monies were diverted to other uses I'd like to see some ironclad agreements on the present financing plan. Railfans drooling over new equipment being delivered now and in the near future while signal and switch problems are a daily thing on the subways or the LIRR. My fellow retirees and some present RTO people think that Stevie Wonder could see the obvious disconnect taking place in transit's operations and planning. I recall talking to management in the subways when someone said that the new SOP was to " blind 'em with B.S and the public won't notice".  IMO the governor, mayor and the (MTA) better get their priorities straight today before any additional funding is added to the wish list. Reliable funding, right. Maybe the folks on the Left Coast have seen the light while many New Yorkers are still blinded. Just my opinion. Carry on.

This source (yes I know, the evil Streetsblog) mentions that Cuomo is specifically calling for the proceeds of congestion pricing to be bonded out for $15B.

So basically, we're going to pay for congestion pricing for the rest of our lives to fund half of a five-year plan once because the State and MTA piss away money like nobody's business. Amazing.

2 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

So basically, we're going to pay for congestion pricing for the rest of our lives to fund half of a five-year plan once because the State and MTA piss away money like nobody's business. Amazing.

...and cry broke in the process.

Whoever came up with the motto of this frickin state (Excelsior) most certainly had taxation in mind.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:59 PM, Trainmaster5 said:

I'd like to see some ironclad agreements on the present financing plan....

I'd like to see anything ironclad when it comes to this agency; other than $ervice cut$ & ri$ing fare$ (that aren't commensurate with QoS, have many NY-ers tell it) that is....

Archived