R262 (R62/R62A Replacement) - Information & Discussion

Union Tpke
Message added by East New York

04289B70-0E3E-4F9D-B575-F4A226826C79.jpeg

8 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

This literally makes the most logical sense and i don't even be on this side of the forums. The (6) doesn't need R262s, it just needs an NTT for CBTC purposes. The (2) and (5) will share fleets, are two of the longest and heaviest lines so that's obvious, and the (4)(5) are priority. The (S) is maintaining the new 6-car formation, and the R142/As will be distributed to the (1)(3)(6) and (4) as needed.  

Exactly, this is how I felt. I think the MTA would want their newest Subway Cars, on their Express routes, as they require the most capacity, along with more reliable service. The R142/A's would still be CBTC-capable, and would be more than sufficient for the (1)(6). Since there would likely be some leftovers, they can go to the (3)(4).

The (2)(5), like you said, are the longest, and most used of the IRT lines, and being that they do share a fleet, it would make sense for them both to run R262's. 

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/21/2021 at 5:56 PM, Bill from Maspeth said:

Speculate...............Speculate..........................Speculate.........................

Where they go will be determined by NYCT suits.  All this is pure speculation.  There will be some happy rail fans, and some pissed railfans over their assignment and the re-assignments of R142/R142A's.

Bumped

3 hours ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Bumped

Hey its a forum, long as the conversations are peaceful, shouldn't be nothing wrong with it. It's good to use critical thinking skills to analyze car assignments (something that a lot of pple don't have). People shouldn't be silenced for making predictions. 

Nobody gonna silence me if I'm NOT breaking any rules or spreading false information, even though I know you wasn't  directly pointing to me. 

No, @Bill from Maspeth does have a point- the circlejerking without new information tends to get old real fast.

Lot of people bumping things just for the sake of bumping things are noobs trying to up their post count, but have nothing substantive to contribute to the discussion.

Edited by R10 2952

I, for one, care very little about assignments. Obviously many of you enjoy those discussions and that's great. But sometimes it feels like that's all anyone talks about in this whole forum. I mostly come here just for these specific threads about rolling stock, and yet even here, it's mostly talk about assignments

It seems like a very different discussion than that about the rolling stock itself. Has anyone considered splitting these things into separate threads? 

On 1/15/2022 at 1:00 AM, R10 2952 said:

No, @Bill from Maspeth does have a point- the circlejerking without new information tends to get old real fast.

Lot of people bumping things just for the sake of bumping things are noobs trying to up their post count, but have nothing substantive to contribute to the discussion.

On 1/16/2022 at 12:02 AM, rbrome said:

I, for one, care very little about assignments. Obviously many of you enjoy those discussions and that's great. But sometimes it feels like that's all anyone talks about in this whole forum. I mostly come here just for these specific threads about rolling stock, and yet even here, it's mostly talk about assignments

It seems like a very different discussion than that about the rolling stock itself. Has anyone considered splitting these things into separate threads? 

I see what you're saying. I don't be in this thread so a conversation here and there about the potential fleet assignments is new to me. I can understand yall POV where it's talked about for pages and pages. I see how it can get annoying and irrelevant. 

I personally would prefer conversations about the actual fleet itself, such as the type of amenities found on the sets. 

I do hope that the R262 is the opening door for platform door installations along the IRT. I would assume they would have the same staggered door positioning as the R142s. 

• 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, starwind said:

Does anyone know how to disable the intercom in the 62/62A's? The static is driving me crazy. 

couple things... firstly, this a thread talking about the R262s, the planned replacement for the R62.

Secondly, I would not go around admitting on a public forum that anyone can read that you want to intentionally disable the IC. 

7 minutes ago, Marc Rivera said:

Isn't the r262 supposed to go to the (4),(5),(6), and (S) lines? That was the last thing I heard.

The R262's could go to whatever line, you could see a complete replacement of the R62/A's entirely and it would run on the (1)(3)(6)(S), or the (2)(4)(5) with the R142/A's going to the (1)(3)(6)(S), or the (2)(3)(5)(S), you get the idea. It's all on whatever the MTA decides.  

7 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

The R262's could go to whatever line, you could see a complete replacement of the R62/A's entirely and it would run on the (1)(3)(6)(S), or the (2)(4)(5) with the R142/A's going to the (1)(3)(6)(S), or the (2)(3)(5)(S), you get the idea. It's all on whatever the MTA decides.  

You right on that and I would love to see the r262 on the (6) line and the r142/A on the (1) and (3) lines or vice versa but either way I cant wait to see NTT back on the (6) line and for the (1)(3).

13 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Do the (2) and (5) for all intensive purposes share a fleet? They're basically the same line, just via 7th or Lexington av respectively.

Yes they do, they do crew swaps at Flatbush Av, both store trains at E 180 St Yard (which the (5) is based out of mainly), Unionport Yard (storage yard), and 239 St Yard (which (2) trains are mainly based out of with (5) trains having rush hour put-ins run from). It's also why they both have strip maps that show both lines.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

Yes they do, they do crew swaps at Flatbush Av, both store trains at E 180 St Yard (which the (5) is based out of mainly), Unionport Yard (storage yard), and 239 St Yard (which (2) trains are mainly based out of with (5) trains having rush hour put-ins run from). It's also why they both have strip maps that show both lines.

I’m aware of equipment swaps at Flatbush Avenue but crew swaps? Must be something new. Carry on.

• 1 month later...

The IRT at this point seems like it'll be stuck in an infinite cycle of 2 offset fleet replacements; the R62s and the R142/142a/188 (I'm assuming the R188s will need to retire at roughly the same time given they're just upgraded R142).

The R262 will replace the R62, then about ~25 years later the R142s will need to be replaced, then ~25 later the R262s will need to be replaced, and so on.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

The r262 should do (2)(3)(4)(5) because they get the most crowded and the 5/6 car train will do the (S) then (1)(6)<6>  can get served by r142/r142a. 

Generally speaking, there's probably always going to be 2 main models of IRT cars (R62 and counting R143 and R188 together) in active service going forwards. I think generally, the newer cars should go to (2)(4)(5)and (7) while the older cars to the less busy (1)(3) and (6). The (2) and (3) are often lumped together, but I find the (2) tends to get a lot more crowded than the (3) for obvious reasons.

I also feel like the (6)'s crowding problem is a bit overrated; as soon as it enters Manhattan net people tend to get off at each station with the exception of maybe 116th and 110th.(4)(5) who have it far worse, and frankly SAS Phase II will do more to pull people off the (6) than the (4)(5).

Also, I wish they'd customize an IRT Shuttle train that it good at instantly reversing rather than just waiting at either terminal for 4 minutes (kinda ruins the point of the (S)).

1 minute ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Generally speaking, there's probably always going to be 2 main models of IRT cars (R62 and counting R143 and R188 together) in active service going forwards. I think generally, the newer cars should go to (2)(4)(5)and (7) while the older cars to the less busy (1)(3) and (6). The (2) and (3) are often lumped together, but I find the (2) tends to get a lot more crowded than the (3) for obvious reasons.

I also feel like the (6)'s crowding problem is a bit overrated; as soon as it enters Manhattan net people tend to get off at each station with the exception of maybe 116th and 110th.(4)(5) who have it far worse, and frankly SAS Phase II will do more to pull people off the (6) than the (4)(5).

Also, I wish they'd customize an IRT Shuttle train that it good at instantly reversing rather than just waiting at either terminal for 4 minutes (kinda ruins the point of the (S)).

But isn't the r188 only meant for the (7)

39 minutes ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

What you want is full automation.

3 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

But isn't the r188 only meant for the (7)

the R188 can run on other lines too, the crew just has to remove the C car to make a 10 car set R188, I don’t know if that’s possible tho, it’s very complicated to do so

Edited by Chris89292

8 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

R143 is a B division car; I assume you meant R142 & R142A.

8 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Yeah at this point it wouldn't make sense to give the (7) R211, especially cause the (7) has 11 car trains. This is more like long term thinking years ahead.

R211 is also a B division car; I assume you meant R262. And in that case yes. The (7) won't be getting R262s as that will create an unnecessary oddball fleet.

Edited by RandomRider0101

5 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

the R188 can run on other lines too, the crew just has to remove the C car to make a 10 car set R188, I don’t know if that’s possible tho, it’s very complicated to do so

To be honest the only way r262s will run the (7) is they remove the C car of the r188s to put on other lines, or if the line has r142/r142as they can get replaced off the (7) line and put them on the (1)(3)(6). If not they can put the r262s on the (3)line.