R262 (R62/R62A Replacement) - Information & Discussion

Union Tpke
Message added by East New York

04289B70-0E3E-4F9D-B575-F4A226826C79.jpeg

1 hour ago, Enjineer said:

Given that it's already about 7 cars long, and they've removed the crossover south of the station, would it be possible to extend it an extra three cars (even if it might have to go slightly north?) Or would ridership simply not warrant that much effort? 

Harlem 148 Street, and 145 Street are 331 and 342 out of 425 Stations in terms of ridership. Honestly, I would extend the (3) to the Bronx. And have a "Harlem (S)" that would run from 96 Street and Harlem 148 Street. The (3) could help out the :2: in the Bronx, while the <5> can just focus going exclusively to Dyre Ave. Or the (3) can go over the (4) at 149 Street to provide some Jerome Express. I feel that the (3) can be better utilized other than just a (2) alternative. The shuttle can use a 5 car R142.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Q23 via 108 said:

Harlem 148 Street, and 145 Street are 331 and 342 out of 425 Stations in terms of ridership. Honestly, I would extend the (3) to the Bronx. And have a "Harlem (S)" that would run from 96 Street and Harlem 148 Street. The (3) could help out the :2: in the Bronx, while the <5> can just focus going exclusively to Dyre Ave. Or the (3) can go over the (4) at 149 Street to provide some Jerome Express. I feel that the (3) can be better utilized other than just a (2) alternative. The shuttle can use a 5 car R142.

The (3) should stay at 148th... you don’t need to further limit capacity by interlining the (2)(3)(5) between 149th-Concourse and 180th. The (3) starting at 148 is there for a reason as it gives Harlem and the UWS emptier trains vs the crowded (2) from the Bronx. 

As for 145th, extending the platforms is not a priority (you’d probably extend them south), but it should happen eventually for operational simplicity if we can get OPTO.

1 hour ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The (3) should stay at 148th... you don’t need to further limit capacity by interlining the (2)(3)(5) between 149th-Concourse and 180th. The (3) starting at 148 is there for a reason as it gives Harlem and the UWS emptier trains vs the crowded (2) from the Bronx. 

As for 145th, extending the platforms is not a priority (you’d probably extend them south), but it should happen eventually for operational simplicity if we can get OPTO.

I agree, but I think it is wasteful that 11 TPH end in Harlem and don't go to the Bronx.

5 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I agree, but I think it is wasteful that 11 TPH end in Harlem and don't go to the Bronx.

Long-term, extensions of the (3) have been proposed to create a line via Ogden or University Av... as for how that would tie into the rest of the system, I'm not sure; short term I think Harlem-148 is an OK terminal

1 hour ago, happy283 said:

I know this is irrelevant but how do you add the icons for routes rather than just typing the letter or number out?

You can also put a letter/number between two parentheses ( (2 ) will go to (2) when there are no spaces between the letter/number and parentheses).

8 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The (3) should be as follows in my opinion:

Regular route from New Lots to 145th Street, then via newly built tunnel to 161st St (4), merge onto (4) to Woodlawn.

Just now, Lawrence St said:

The (3) should be as follows in my opinion:

Regular route from New Lots to 145th Street, then via newly built tunnel to 161st St (4), merge onto (4) to Woodlawn.

Oh god not this (3) to Woodlawn sh*t again... people are obsessed with this project. Assuming we de-interline Rogers (which should happen ASAP given the crowding on Lexington and the delays it would prevent), you would have just killed all the gained capacity by interlining the (3)(4) again. Jerome has Grand Concourse next door for west side service and connecting the two lines by a junction would probably result in an inefficient flat junction or a slow underground one near the portal. People can just transfer at Yankee Stadium or Grand Concourse- the most I would do would be to add an infill station at 104th/Manhattan to connect to 103rd/CPW to reduce pressure on the (A)(D) at Columbus Circle.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:05 PM, subwayfan1998 said:

I Hate these Crappy R62s Trains, when they stop it makes my ear explode.

Some R62s are indeed crappy, but not because of that minor "issue" 🤦‍♂️

What make those R62s crappy are their HVAC units 

9 hours ago, HenryB said:

What make those R62s crappy are their HVAC units 

Ah yes....

Yesterday I was on the 4, which had AC, the shuttle which had AC, but then when I got on the 1 it was actually more hot and humid inside the car than it was on the platform 😬. It was only one stop I was on for, but I feel for all those who had to ride that piece of absolute shite for any longer

Something to keep in mind:

The R62As are subjected to heavy abuse on high ridership lines such as the (1)(6) and are on the road 24/7 with little time in the shops.

As for the R62s, they run on the (3), a part-time line, so they don’t rack up as much mileage and receive more maintenance.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

10 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Something to keep in mind:

The R62As are subjected to heavy abuse on high ridership lines such as the (1)(6) and are on the road 24/7 with little time in the shops.

As for the R62s, they run on the (3), a part-time line, so they don’t rack up as much mileage and receive more maintenance.

It's very questionable why there are still R62s on the (1)  and (6) ... but I guess they have no choice

Edited by Bay Ridge Express

3 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

It's very questionable why there are still R62s on the (1)  and (6) ... but I guess they have no choice

R62s is on the (6) is mainly because of (7) got R188s, many R142 converted to R188. (6) might get R142s from the (2) if CBTC on Lexington Avenue is Completed, then (2) will get R62.

2 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

R62s is on the (6) is mainly because of (7) got R188s, many R142 converted to R188. (6) might get R142s from the (2) if CBTC on Lexington Avenue is Completed, then (2) will get R62.

Hah, no.