R262 (R62/R62A Replacement) - Information & Discussion

Union Tpke
Message added by East New York

04289B70-0E3E-4F9D-B575-F4A226826C79.jpeg

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

R62s is on the (6) is mainly because of (7) got R188s, many R142 converted to R188. (6) might get R142s from the (2) if CBTC on Lexington Avenue is Completed, then (2) will get R62.

First, can you not treat the (2) and (5) like they are two separate subway lines for car assignment discussions? Yes they really are two separate lines in the public timetables, but they must be considered together for car assignments because the cars they have (410 for each of the two lines) are shared with each other.

Also, do you take the (2) and (5) south of Franklin Avenue on a daily basis to get to/from somewhere important? If you do, then there is a reason why the (2) / (5) need to be all NTTs, and it’s because THEY NEED TO QUICKLY SWITCH THE SIGNS AT FLATBUSH AVENUE DURING WEEKDAYS!!!!! Scrolling through rollsigns is VERY PAINFUL!!!! Put R62/As on either line and you just screwed up the operations and created delays on the entire (2)(3)(4) and (5) lines.

8 hours ago, Lex said:

Hah, no.

I believe the current plan is to have the Lexington Avenue CBTC coincide with the R62/A retirement, since it would be desirable to have the Lexington Avenue CBTC operates with Factory-fresh cars, though some 20-year-old R142/As will be used as well. Nobody is officially suggesting that R62As be put on the (2)/(5), and a plan like that is very dumb.

Agree that the Lex CBTC work and the R262 order should coincide with each other, as both are key to keeping the A-Division running well in the long term. Though I’m sure some kind of contingency plan will be drawn up in the event one is done significantly earlier than other.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

15 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Agree that the Lex CBTC work and the R262 order should coincide with each other, as both are key to keeping the A-Division running well in the long term. Though I’m sure some kind of contingency plan will be drawn up in the event one is done significantly earlier than other.

If one ends up finishing earlier than the other, it'll probably be the R262 order.

19 minutes ago, subwayfan1998 said:

https://about.bgov.com/news/manafort-linked-firm-helps-china-company-chase-nyc-subway-deal/

Why would China instead of Japan Kawasaki manufactures R262?

Because Competition and diversity is a thing with bidding..... #1. You make it sound like it might be a bad thing. #2. Kawasaki is not the confirmed award winners for the 262s.

If you're not aware, up to speed, these R62 replacements are under considerable planning and discussion. With that being said, nothing is said in stone yet. Patience, good sir....

46 minutes ago, subwayfan1998 said:

https://about.bgov.com/news/manafort-linked-firm-helps-china-company-chase-nyc-subway-deal/

Why would China instead of Japan Kawasaki manufactures R262?

We are in the lands of the lowest bid. If CRRC can outbid Kawasaki, Bombardier, Siemens, Alstom, etc, then chances are they will get the bid. With that being said, situations are open to change and considering the R262s are in the early stages of planning, there is still much time for the MTA to make a decision. Nothing is even close to being set in stone with the r262

49 minutes ago, Metro CSW said:

Because Competition and diversity is a thing with bidding..... #1. You make it sound like it might be a bad thing. #2. Kawasaki is not the confirmed award winners for the 262s.

If you're not aware, up to speed, these R62 replacements are under considerable planning and discussion. With that being said, nothing is said in stone yet. Patience, good sir....

25 minutes ago, ibroketheprinter said:

We are in the lands of the lowest bid. If CRRC can outbid Kawasaki, Bombardier, Siemens, Alstom, etc, then chances are they will get the bid. With that being said, situations are open to change and considering the R262s are in the early stages of planning, there is still much time for the MTA to make a decision. Nothing is even close to being set in stone with the r262

I think it has more to do with how CRRC is playing the game. By the looks of it, CRRC wants to do something similar to what BYD was able to do in LA.

I can only hope that CRRC actually has some pride. Trains for the MBTA are to be built by the company, and if we do the same, we need them to be able to handle the pressures of our system. (Considering that CRRC wanted to partner with Bombardier for the R211s, I don't have much confidence.)

1 hour ago, ibroketheprinter said:

We are in the lands of the lowest bid. If CRRC can outbid Kawasaki, Bombardier, Siemens, Alstom, etc, then chances are they will get the bid.

That all depends on technical scores... If the MTA feels that they're just not up to par in that respect, they can disqualify them.

14 hours ago, Metro CSW said:

Competition is great for the bidding process to keep the price down. What’s not great is the requirement to accept the lowest bid. There are times when you really do get what you pay for. It’s good that nothing about the R262 cars is set in stone yet.

14 hours ago, ibroketheprinter said:

It’s good that there’s still plenty of time to make the decision. Presumably by the time the MTA puts the R262 contract out to bid, the MBTA’s new Orange Line cars being built by CRRC in Springfield, Mass, will have had a few years to prove themselves in service. Ditto for the CTA’s 7000-series cars being built in south Chicago. Hopefully by then, we’ll have a clearer picture of how reliable CRRC vehicles are on North American metro rails. 

On 5/7/2019 at 12:01 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Competition is great for the bidding process to keep the price down. What’s not great is the requirement to accept the lowest bid. There are times when you really do get what you pay for. It’s good that nothing about the R262 cars is set in stone yet.

Case in point: R179 order.  That went to Bombardier because they bid lower than Alskaw.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:01 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

It’s good that there’s still plenty of time to make the decision. Presumably by the time the MTA puts the R262 contract out to bid, the MBTA’s new Orange Line cars being built by CRRC in Springfield, Mass, will have had a few years to prove themselves in service. Ditto for the CTA’s 7000-series cars being built in south Chicago. Hopefully by then, we’ll have a clearer picture of how reliable CRRC vehicles are on North American metro rails. 

Even if they prove to be reliable, I worry about the political implications of awarding this kind of contract to the Chinese...

Especially considering that this is the first time they are announcing this order--and the R211s haven't even been tested, much less in revenue service--I would be surprised if this gets awarded before 2023.  Also, who in the MTA is going to pay for these cars?

35 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Also, who in the MTA is going to pay for these cars?

It was revealed in the slides of the Fast Forward Plan. I'm sure the order will be part of a future capital budget. Of all the consistencies within the MTA, I think car orders are relatively straightforwards in terms of planning and timelines

Edited by Enjineer

On 1/18/2019 at 5:59 PM, trainfan22 said:

I think both fleets can do 50 years of service easily. They have been well maintained their entire careers and are stainless steel. 

On 1/18/2019 at 7:15 PM, Coney Island Av said:

Lol R262. It's just like R62 2.0 in a way! 

The R62/R62As are already nearing 40 years of service, so they will need to be retired soon. However, I don't see them leaving anytime soon (probably not until 2028-2030)...

Dude how you insert pictures similar to that B Train Pic of urs.

On 5/12/2019 at 7:17 PM, Bosco said:

Even if they prove to be reliable, I worry about the political implications of awarding this kind of contract to the Chinese...

Especially considering that this is the first time they are announcing this order--and the R211s haven't even been tested, much less in revenue service--I would be surprised if this gets awarded before 2023.  Also, who in the MTA is going to pay for these cars?

Not to mention how they’re linked to Paul Manafort. Should the MTA really do business with any firm linked to Paul Manafort? At least Alstom, Bombardier, CAF and Kawasaki already have significant presences in New York State and three out the four of them have already built trains for the MTA (though Bombardier’s screw-ups are not helping).

30 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

I think the game plan is for the 1/3/6 to get R142/As and then the 2/4/5 gets the R262/As

Also, the 42nd Street Shuttle is to get the R262s as well since some R262s will be in six-car consists for the soon-to-be-reconfigured 42nd Street shuttle. The line will go from three tracks to two tracks and be lengthened to 6 cars, so it will be more beneficial for them to get 24-30 cars in 6-car consists straight from the factory than go through the hassle of splitting up R142 and R142A consists and putting them in 6-car sets at the shops. 

29 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Am I the only person who thinks that (6) should get R262s? The (2) is packed, sure, but the (6) doesn’t get it any easier (especially with a not-so-great maintenance shop). 

I would be shocked if the (6) doesn't get them... The open gangways are perfect for it.