LIRR Block Operator Trainee Open House 25 Jan 19

dewclaw

This is a new thread for the Block Operator Trainee Open House on 25 Jan 19. Just using this as new updated thread to the old one that is hanging around here. Let's try to get as much information as possible going around here to bolster our chances of success. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2019 at 5:23 PM, Kb8752 said:

I'm also going to the open house on the 28th. Does anyone know what to expect at the open house?

I will be there aswell... from what ive been told from a few lirr employees that there is a preliminary aptitude test, if passed you will be interviewed that day and recieve a packet for signals and definitions and have 3 weeks to study 60 signals and definitions and you will be tested verbatim.

can anyone confirm this?

It will likely be similar to the Locomotive Engineer training in the beginning.
An overview of the job and a proficiency/aptitude test (possibly vocabulary and cognitive exams, followed by a preliminary interview if you pass) at the open house.
Then the next scheduled date would be for an overview of the S&D exam where they distribute the packet. I don't know how many definitions and signals there will be for Block Operator, but for Locomotive Engineer there are approximately 129 unique signals and 66 definitions. After passing that, then there's training and exams for the Book of Rules. Then after passing that, there would be actual job training.

Note: Everything above is unconfirmed as I haven't gone through the process for Block Operator.

Edited by TCKAS71P

Additionally, I'm quite sure that Block Operators have to memorize and take an exam on the physical characteristics of the LIRR. Though it may only be the interlockings and/or specific blocks of track that are operated from the switch tower.

59 minutes ago, Gacerra1 said:

How about the guys kicked out for cheating?

did you guys receive an attatchment for handsignals and buzzers? I just emailed her back saying i only recieved signals and def. 

There were two attachments: the invitation letter and a powerpoint with signals and definitions.

The following is just speculative:
Regarding the guys who were kicked out, they can reapply for any other Trainee position but wont be able to continue (if selected) beyond the Aptitude Test until one year has passed.
I think this also applies to anyone who was selected because they know someone (usually a family member) who works for the LIRR.
In their case, they probably won't be able to continue until their family member ceases to work for the LIRR.

Edited by TCKAS71P

Yeah i got two attatchments. In her email it says she included something with hand signals and buzzers. I was clarifying with that because I didnt receive anything along those lines other than s&d  

I just thought it was amusing they were cheating on a test, i would think they would be disqualified from further employment. 

Yes you cant have current family in the transportation department due to nepotism ban. 

3 hours ago, Gacerra1 said:

40 Vocabulary words. Pick the best synonyms

flow charts

putting things in order scenarious

logical thinking etc

it is timed, dont rush. Follow directions of the instructors and be on time

Drop your pen or pencil when they call time. At least 2 people got tossed during the exam for trying to squeeze in an answer or two after time ran out. 

Does anyone know if having a prior shoulder surgery would be disqualifying on the physical exam? Also, I've been reading (rumors on this forum) that Block Operators don't test on the full S & D since we only have 3 weeks from overview the 13th Feb to test on March 6th, can we get some more guidance on this if anyone knows? Also theres been some talk that we may be getting interviewed after the exam on the 6th.