LIRR Block Operator Trainee Open House 25 Jan 19

dewclaw

24 minutes ago, dewclaw said:

Does anyone know if having a prior shoulder surgery would be disqualifying on the physical exam? Also, I've been reading (rumors on this forum) that Block Operators don't test on the full S & D since we only have 3 weeks from overview the 13th Feb to test on March 6th, can we get some more guidance on this if anyone knows? Also theres been some talk that we may be getting interviewed after the exam on the 6th. 

perhaps @+Young+ , could you speak on this? I don't have PM powers so I'm mentioning you here to get your attention. 

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The S&D test should be 35 definitions and 15 signals. 3 weeks to study I believe 72 defs and around 40 signals. Not all signals like AC or engineer. Same definitions though. No interview on test day. 2 weeks of basic skills class after the test

3 hours ago, wstone17 said:

The S&D test should be 35 definitions and 15 signals. 3 weeks to study I believe 72 defs and around 40 signals. Not all signals like AC or engineer. Same definitions though. No interview on test day. 2 weeks of basic skills class after the test

So you’re saying at the overview we’re going to receive study materials including 72 definitions and 40 signals but the test 3 weeks later will be 35 definitions and 15 signals?

3 minutes ago, Gacerra1 said:

Hr already sent us an email of signals and definitions it was about 30 definitions and 30 signals. I have the s&d overview on the 13th and the test is 3/6. 

If they plan on adding more than that by feb 13th i dont see many passing. 

Yeah 3 weeks is a tight timeline if they expect 100% on definitions and signals with the full content. 

4 hours ago, dewclaw said:

Does anyone know if having a prior shoulder surgery would be disqualifying on the physical exam? Also, I've been reading (rumors on this forum) that Block Operators don't test on the full S & D since we only have 3 weeks from overview the 13th Feb to test on March 6th, can we get some more guidance on this if anyone knows? Also theres been some talk that we may be getting interviewed after the exam on the 6th. 

Highly doubt you will be dequal for a surgery. Long as your doctor will sign off on you, you will be fine. Its not a severly physical job as they explained. 

From what ive heard from multiple lirr employees in the same department. S&d is the hardest thing you will be tested on and marks if you are actually trying for the position. Thats the whole point of it being pre employment. They arent just taking anyone, you need to put the time in....

11 minutes ago, dewclaw said:

Yeah 3 weeks is a tight timeline if they expect 100% on definitions and signals with the full content. 

Definitions i heard you can score 80% and signals needs to be 100%. If you aren’t studying the definitions everyday you probably aren’t passing. Remember this has to be verbatim.

Thank you very much!

8 minutes ago, Gacerra1 said:

Definitions i heard you can score 80% and signals needs to be 100%. If you aren’t studying the definitions everyday you probably aren’t passing. Remember this has to be verbatim.

I hear the opposite, 100% on definitions and 80% on signals. Regardless I’m aiming for 100 on both and am studying everyday. Just cleared most of the 3rd page of definitions in the packer they gave us + signals minus 6. I’m projecting to finish all content by Tuesday and be practice testing until the overview starting wed/Thursday. 

What are your study methods?

Thanks man useful info. 

1 minute ago, dewclaw said:

I hear the opposite, 100% on definitions and 80% on signals. Regardless I’m aiming for 100 on both and am studying everyday. Just cleared most of the 3rd page of definitions in the packer they gave us + signals minus 6. I’m projecting to finish all content by Tuesday and be practice testing until the overview starting wed/Thursday. 

We shall see 

3 minutes ago, dewclaw said:

For Locomotive Engineer, Signals had to be 100% and Definitions 80%

If anyone wants to study the signals on the computer, I made a program to do so.
It only contains the 30 signals we've received thus far.
Send me a private message if you'd like to use it.

About the program:
- Written in C# (WPF Application)
- Signals stored as JPEG resource files
- Tested on Windows 7 (probably won't work for macOS)

Sample picture:

msjLlv4.png

Edited by TCKAS71P

23 minutes ago, TCKAS71P said:

If anyone wants to study the signals on the computer, I made a program to do so.
It only contains the 30 signals we've received thus far.
Send me a private message if you'd like to use it.

About the program:
- Written in C# (WPF Application)
- Signals stored as JPEG resource files
- Tested on Windows 7 (probably won't work for macOS)

Sample picture:

msjLlv4.png

I can’t PM for some reason. Do you have a throwaway email I can contact?

@Nyiguy92
@dewclaw

Not sure if this is allowed on the forum, but here's a download link:
https://fs07n1.sendspace.com/dl/756f3ed5991c7ff521e396cdebb6b52c/5c5a198d684ee28f/ywepx2/SignalTest.exe

Alternate Link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/ywepx2

Also, it was compiled using .NET Framework 4.5.2
If you need to install it, this is the link for it: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework-runtime/net452

Edited by TCKAS71P

2 minutes ago, Gacerra1 said:

The signals are fairly easy for me, the definitions on the other hand 🤣🤣🤣🤣. Anyone have any advice? Whats your methods ? 

Most people simply write it by hand as it's a proven method for rote memorization.
Personally, I type each definition (eyes closed) in Notepad about 15 times then I move onto the next one.
Then I recite it a few hours later or talk it out in my head. This method won't work for everyone.
I believe it's more effective since it's using more than one Sense.

1 minute ago, TCKAS71P said:

Most people simply write it by hand as it's a proven method for rote memorization.
Personally, I type each definition (eyes closed) in Notepad about 15 times then I move onto the next one.
Then I recite it a few hours later or talk it out in my head. This method won't work for everyone.

Thanks I will be hammering down on the definitions this week. 

1 hour ago, TCKAS71P said:

@Nyiguy92
@dewclaw

Not sure if this is allowed on the forum, but here's a download link:
https://fs07n1.sendspace.com/dl/756f3ed5991c7ff521e396cdebb6b52c/5c5a198d684ee28f/ywepx2/SignalTest.exe

Alternate Link: https://www.sendspace.com/file/ywepx2

Also, it was compiled using .NET Framework 4.5.2
If you need to install it, this is the link for it: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework-runtime/net452

I’m going to be heading to Cleveland Ohio for the next 3 days for a medical thing in my family. I’ll only have my MacBook so I won’t be able to install the software until the weekend, but it looks cool I’ll check it out

33 minutes ago, Gacerra1 said:

Thanks I will be hammering down on the definitions this week. 

I have family / my girlfriend I live with go over flash cards with me, and I pronounce all commas, periods, semicolons, colons and dashes. I also drafted a practice test for definitions, I’m currently working on a signals exam as well that should be complete this weekend. When we receive our final study materials I’ll draft a final, exam and be practicing that. 

If I make a mistake with a flash card I put it to the side and practice writing it 5+ times until I nail it. Anytime I work I have a spare minute I pull out a flash card, read it. If I’m shitting in the bathroom I’m reading definitions on my phone. 

Basically all times of everyday, I’m reading about signals and definitions and, at the end stages I’ll be practice testing all day everyday leading up to the test. 

38 minutes ago, TCKAS71P said:

I write by hand as well until my hand hurts, then I’m usually taking a 5-15 minute break and returning to flash cards.