LIRR Block Operator Trainee Open House 25 Jan 19

dewclaw

3 hours ago, dewclaw said:

Nice.. What did the interview & medical really consist of? I see in your profile it looks like you got hired on as a block op a year ago, how do you like the job? Also, what does job security look like as the LIRR moves towards centralized train control? Are they planning on eliminating towers and then laying off redundant block operators in the future? 

Medical is a simple physical and agility test. For the interview just make sure u know the full job description of what a block operator does. 

The job is good so far. Some days are easy and some days are stressful but everyday is a new day. Just listen to the mentors and people training u and dont be a know it all. Job security is fine. We will all be in Jamaica central control eventually and the goal is to qualify as a dispatcher. Operator position will be gone eventually.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, wstone17 said:

Medical is a simple physical and agility test. For the interview just make sure u know the full job description of what a block operator does. 

The job is good so far. Some days are easy and some days are stressful but everyday is a new day. Just listen to the mentors and people training u and dont be a know it all. Job security is fine. We will all be in Jamaica central control eventually and the goal is to qualify as a dispatcher. Operator position will be gone eventually.

Ok so there isn’t an expectation of lay offs or fires, just moving all block operators towards qualifying as dispatchers. Thanks for the nuggets of info. 

I keep confusing my "a, on, the, from" etc. the rest of the definition I am fine with except the little parts, but I am also not moving on until I perfect the entire definition. 48/75 definitions, haven't started signals yet but I dont see them being an issue. Hope studying is coming along as well for everyone. 

On 2/24/2019 at 10:17 PM, dewclaw said:

@wstone17 do you think having a prior shoulder surgery from 2/3 years ago would DQ someone from the block operator position at the medical exam? 

I dont see why that would affect u. as long as u pass the medical and have all of your paperwork from the doctors

On 2/27/2019 at 12:04 PM, dewclaw said:

Does anyone know what we're going to be doing after the exam on Wednesday? The email says be prepared to stay 5-6 hours but the test is only 90 minutes. @wstone17

After the test they will grade them. They will either call you to sign paperwork about not being able to take S&D for a year or call you into a room to explain the next step which is the basic skills class.

@wstone17 Hey man, you know what to expect for the exam at the end of BST? They say that everyone passes but they are hitting us with a ton of information, which is manageable and all, but a lot of us are wondering what to expect. Do you know if its multiple choice, true or false, fill in the blank, verbatim, a mix of everything? What about the practice final, is that a pretty good indication of what will be on the test? 

21 hours ago, dewclaw said:

@wstone17 Hey man, you know what to expect for the exam at the end of BST? They say that everyone passes but they are hitting us with a ton of information, which is manageable and all, but a lot of us are wondering what to expect. Do you know if its multiple choice, true or false, fill in the blank, verbatim, a mix of everything? What about the practice final, is that a pretty good indication of what will be on the test? 

Everything is verbatim. There may be 1 or 2 fill ins or multiple choice but u will still have to know everything verbatim. Theres alot of rules that u cant explain without knowing it verbatim. A rules examiner will just mark it wrong. Some rules are almost in a different language 🤨

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bcloughen said:

Well that's not good news for me, didn't receive anything yet. 

I wouldn’t worry too much it’s only been 1 day, who knows how they determine who gets called first. What we do know is HR moves slow everywhere and they could have just not finished making all the calls in one day