LIRR Block Operator Trainee Open House 25 Jan 19

dewclaw

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/27/2019 at 10:04 AM, TCKAS71P said:

My interview is in a week.

How did your interview go, did they give any guidance on the next steps? Jim told me that interview and application results are good for a year and if I were to move forward in the June class to expect something back in a month. 

2 hours ago, dewclaw said:

How did your interview go, did they give any guidance on the next steps? Jim told me that interview and application results are good for a year and if I were to move forward in the June class to expect something back in a month. 

He told me the same thing.
There are two classes scheduled for this year, one in June and one around October.
I don't know how many people would be in a class, presumably 4.

If we're selected, the next step would be a medical exam and background check.
Everyone from the Basic Skills class will likely be interviewed before selections are made.

On 4/4/2019 at 12:02 PM, TCKAS71P said:

He told me the same thing.
There are two classes scheduled for this year, one in June and one around October.
I don't know how many people would be in a class, presumably 4.

If we're selected, the next step would be a medical exam and background check.
Everyone from the Basic Skills class will likely be interviewed before selections are made.

Did you or anyone hear back from HR yet?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, TCKAS71P said:

How's the studying going for you guys? Only 7 weeks left.

I have been looking back and forth at the books the last couple of weeks. Alot of stuff to memorize but I feel like S&D was harder, possibly because the stuff I am reading actually makes sense to me now. Haven't received a call yet though from railroad. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey man how's class going? I received a call 3 weeks ago asking me if I were still interested in the position and that if they have an October class that i'll receive a call in August to start the medical process, not sure if it's a good sign or not. 

On 7/1/2019 at 4:36 AM, bcloughen said:

Hey man how's class going? I received a call 3 weeks ago asking me if I were still interested in the position and that if they have an October class that i'll receive a call in August to start the medical process, not sure if it's a good sign or not. 

That sounds about right.
There was a new class of Block Operators taking the S&D Exam recently, so they will be doing Basic Skills soon.

If you are interested, you'll receive a conditional offer of employment in which you must pass the medical exam and background check to be officially hired.
Then if you're good, they'll send you the conditional offer again with your official hire date/orientation date.
Orientation is 3 days of safety-oriented presentations or classes, followed by 5 weeks for the Book of Rules class.

The class is going good so far. There is a ton of material to study and memorize.

If you're still up for it, then I recommend memorizing the rules in the study guide from the basic skills class, and going over all the definitions and signals.
It's not required, but helps tremendously.

1 hour ago, NycHopeful718 said:

Any tips on studying for the S&D?

Writing by hand or typewriting on the computer for the Definitions.
Flash Cards can be used for Definitions (Word on one side and Definition on the other side) too.
Flash Cards are typically used for the Signals (Picture of the Aspect on one side and Name & Indication on the other side).

For the Signals, it was helpful for me to create a visual description of them as though I were describing it to someone with no knowledge of it.
The Definitions have to be word for word, verbatim.

It's best if you find out what method is the most effective for you to memorize things.
The Signals & Definitions are just preliminary.
Everything you do afterwards will require constant studying and dedication (Book of Rules and Physical Characteristics).

You should know all of the Signals & Definitions by heart and can instantly recite them.
Examples:
What is the definition of Interlocking?
What is the abbreviation of Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System?
What is the indication of Absolute-Clear?

Good Luck!

Edited by TCKAS71P

On 7/4/2019 at 5:36 PM, TCKAS71P said:

Writing by hand or typewriting on the computer for the Definitions.
Flash Cards can be used for Definitions (Word on one side and Definition on the other side) too.
Flash Cards are typically used for the Signals (Picture of the Aspect on one side and Name & Indication on the other side).

For the Signals, it was helpful for me to create a visual description of them as though I were describing it to someone with no knowledge of it.
The Definitions have to be word for word, verbatim.

It's best if you find out what method is the most effective for you to memorize things.
The Signals & Definitions are just preliminary.
Everything you do afterwards will require constant studying and dedication (Book of Rules and Physical Characteristics).

You should know all of the Signals & Definitions by heart and can instantly recite them.
Examples:
What is the definition of Interlocking?
What is the abbreviation of Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System?
What is the indication of Absolute-Clear?

Good Luck!

Thank you. This was very helpful. 

• 2 weeks later...