$9.5 million MTA plan for 'heavy duty' cleaning of subway cars and stations angers union

Union Tpke

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-mta-subway-deep-cleaning-20190120-story.html

An MTA plan to make 100 grimy stations and 3,000 subway cars sparkling clean is costing $9.5 million and nearly resulted in a union picket.

“This is a complete waste of money,” TWU Local 100 President Tony Utano told the Daily News.

“Our cleaners are capable of doing this work,” Utano said. “We have mobile wash units on hand that know how to to this kind of ‘deep cleaning.’ ”

Key point that shows how stupid the plan is:

The two union station cleaners assigned to each contractor cleaning crew are expected to observe and learn about the cleaning techniques and chemicals the private companies use, said MTA spokesman Shams Tarek. The MTA workers will also be there to provide access and safety resources.

26 minutes ago, ttcsubwayfan said:

Then why don't they do it more often?

Unless you write with chalk the date, you wont notice the before/after difference of a station cleaning, 1, maximum 2 pushes with a broom of soapy suds, then the power washer guns to flush it away into the tracks. They dont concentrate and scrub on stains or nooks and crevices,.

With the increase in homeless in trains, I’ve found shitstains a common sight on the floors and seats. Sometimes they are wet, but other times they are dry and don’t smell. The stains might’ve survived a dozen service-storage cycles already.

6 hours ago, CenSin said:

With the increase in homeless in trains, I’ve found shitstains a common sight on the floors and seats. Sometimes they are wet, but other times they are dry and don’t smell. The stains might’ve survived a dozen service-storage cycles already.

Listen to this.  Veronica Vanterpool (MTA Board member) had the nerve to bitch about how spending such monies on deep cleaning didn't make any sense because they have the personnel to do it. I wanted to ask her, have you seen how FILTHY the subways stations are? If not, we can both take a trip over to the Chambers Street stop on the (A)(C) and walk over to the World Trade Center platform for the (E) which reeks of urine and God knows what else. It's revolting. That's just one example.... The entire system stinks.  What's the point of spending millions of dollars on rehabs if they aren't going to do cleaning?  I believe it was at 72nd street and Central Park West... I was on the (A) train heading Southbound a few weeks ago, and there was a homeless guy with all of his things spread out on the platform sleeping.  I feel for them seriously, but when you can't shower for days and you may suffer from mental illness and other diseases, that is serious.  That's why I don't sit anywhere.  

Not sure if I mentioned this, but a few months ago, I'm coming back from Brooklyn on the (D) train one weekend.  I get on at Atlantic Avenue and people immediately run in further along in the car where I'm at. I didn't see it, but apparently someone had taken a #2 in the seat and it stunk to high heavens over there.  Well we reach 34th street and here comes a bunch of innocent tourists that get on just yacking away and one of them without looking goes and plops right on down in the seat!! People were trying to warn her to no avail!! I couldn't help it. I laughed so hard.  It was UNBELIEVABLE!! :lol: My stomach was hurting by the time I got off from laughing.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Not sure if I mentioned this, but a few months ago, I'm coming back from Brooklyn on the (D) train one weekend.  I get on at Atlantic Avenue and people immediately run in further along in the car where I'm at. I didn't see it, but apparently someone had taken a #2 in the seat and it stunk to high heavens over there.  Well we reach 34th street and here comes a bunch of innocent tourists that get on just yacking away and one of them without looking goes and plops right on down in the seat!! People were trying to warn her to no avail!! I couldn't help it. I laughed so hard.  It was UNBELIEVABLE!! :lol: My stomach was hurting by the time I got off from laughing.

They should mention these on tourist guides.

I also prefer not to sit down on public transit. The clientele on our Toronto area commuter agency tends to be pretty mild, so I'm fine with that, but there is no way I'll sit in a TTC or MTA seat unless I'm throwing all my clothes in the laundry the first thing I get back to my house/hotel room.

I've gotten quite good at standing on swaying subway trains without sitting or holding anything :lol:

4 minutes ago, ttcsubwayfan said:

I also prefer not to sit down on public transit. The clientele on our Toronto area commuter agency tends to be pretty mild, so I'm fine with that, but there is no way I'll sit in a TTC or MTA seat unless I'm throwing all my clothes in the laundry the first thing I get back to my house/hotel room.

I've gotten quite good at standing on swaying subway trains without sitting or holding anything :lol:

I actually do sit on PATH trains because they are relatively clean, but NYCT subways??? NO WAY!!! Actually, I was waiting at 63rd and Lex this morning. I had my earbuds on messing with my iPad. Some crazed homeless guy was yelling like crazy on a (Q) train across the platform. Sent people running out of the car onto the platform and into the next car.  I'm sure that and his stench was another reason.

6 minutes ago, ttcsubwayfan said:

Though I’ve pimped out my bedroom, I have a policy of not letting friends or guests in until they strip. You can guess what kind of guests end up inside. 😉

I keep a dirty laundry basket in my room and a change of clothes nearby, and it’s the first place I go when I get home.

5 hours ago, ttcsubwayfan said:

What about GO Transit? I'd see the buses around PEEL when in the area but it seems like train service kind of sucks.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I actually do sit on PATH trains because they are relatively clean, but NYCT subways??? NO WAY!!! Actually, I was waiting at 63rd and Lex this morning. I had my earbuds on messing with my iPad. Some crazed homeless guy was yelling like crazy on a (Q) train across the platform. Sent people running out of the car onto the platform and into the next car.  I'm sure that and his stench was another reason.

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

Though I’ve pimped out my bedroom, I have a policy of not letting friends or guests in until they strip. You can guess what kind of guests end up inside. 😉

I keep a dirty laundry basket in my room and a change of clothes nearby, and it’s the first place I go when I get home.

But isn't that kind of drastic? Doesn't it build your immune systems ? :P

3 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

What about GO Transit? I'd see the buses around PEEL when in the area but it seems like train service kind of sucks.

But isn't that kind of drastic? Doesn't it build your immune systems ? :P

Not really. I’m only sick once every so often. I haven’t been sick in months in fact. I have a routine whereby I immediately wash my hands when I get to my office or arrive in my apartment. I have hand soap on my kitchen counter AND bathroom sink. If I’m out and can’t wash my hands I’ll eat a sandwich or whatever from the wrapper, this way I don’t have to worry about dirty hands. Years ago I had a stomach virus and I vowed to never deal with that again.

3 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

GO is actually who I was referencing as the commuter agency. I use their buses and trains semi regularly and they're a whole different world compared to the TTC, so I have no qualms about sitting down.

The train service is mostly fine on the two lines that have all day service; elsewhere the service quality is adequate, but limited, on account of them not owning all their trackage and having to give priority to freight services. The buses are mostly fine, depends on where you're going.

12 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Listen to this.  Veronica Vanterpool (MTA Board member) had the nerve to bitch about how spending such monies on deep cleaning didn't make any sense because they have the personnel to do it. I wanted to ask her, have you seen how FILTHY the subways stations are? If not, we can both take a trip over to the Chambers Street stop on the (A)(C) and walk over to the World Trade Center platform for the (E) which reeks of urine and God knows what else. It's revolting. That's just one example.... The entire system stinks.  What's the point of spending millions of dollars on rehabs if they aren't going to do cleaning?  I believe it was at 72nd street and Central Park West... I was on the (A) train heading Southbound a few weeks ago, and there was a homeless guy with all of his things spread out on the platform sleeping.  I feel for them seriously, but when you can't shower for days and you may suffer from mental illness and other diseases, that is serious.  That's why I don't sit anywhere.  

Well, I really try to stay away from having to judge people's cleanliness habits and personal hygiene, but what Veronica Vanterpool has said is just preposterous and baseless. How is cleanliness not a priority for the subway system? I just find it difficult to understand how that is possible. Cleaning is important because it stops deterioration of the cars and stations, creates a safer and cleaner environment, and prevents TRACK FIRES, something that they are always complaining about. Just unbelievable. If Veronica Vanterpool gives cleanliness such low importance, then I wonder her vagina smelling like a Chinese fish market and probably finds it okay.

9 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Well, I really try to stay away from having to judge people's cleanliness habits and personal hygiene, but what Veronica Vanterpool has said is just preposterous and baseless. How is cleanliness not a priority for the subway system? I just find it difficult to understand how that is possible. Cleaning is important because it stops deterioration of the cars and stations, creates a safer and cleaner environment, and prevents TRACK FIRES, something that they are always complaining about. Just unbelievable. If Veronica Vanterpool gives cleanliness such low importance, then I wonder her vagina smelling like a Chinese fish market and probably finds it okay.

I think she was trying to say that the (MTA) personnel can do it, but even so the cleaning should take place.  If she's complaining about the price tag, what does she think should be done with that money? They're not going to provide service increases, that's for sure, so spend it to do deep cleaning.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think she was trying to say that the (MTA) personnel can do it, but even so the cleaning should take place.  If she's complaining about the price tag, what does she think should be done with that money? They're not going to provide service increases, that's for sure, so spend it to do deep cleaning.

Well the thing is that its better for the (MTA) personnel to learn new cleaning techniques/equipment in the cleaning industry, I don't know if you agree, but the cleaners don't do an excellent job at cleaning. Cleanliness of course comes with a big price tag because of all the materials required and the workforce cleaning 3,000 subway cars. I feel that if she wanted to express her point well, then she should have stated other things that such money should be spent on instead of rambling on how the time is not appropriate for such effort. The problem is that this society has developed itself in a culture where they feel that essential cleaning is a taboo and that it is something that comes in a small price. Hell 5 gallons of Fabuloso costs $20 for me and plus a new bucket and mop that comes around $30. Society needs to learn on how to place equal priorities on all sections and not install all of the focus in one place. Andy Byford made it clear that signaling, accessibility, cleanliness, and culture change were his top 4 priorities. All 4 priorities have been receiving attention and the thing is that things have been getting better little by little. It's slow progress of course and sometimes a step back is taken, but you know that atleast a group of people are putting effort into changing the (MTA) for the better. I know that our Fuhrer Cuomo loves to put his fingerprints on Initiatives just to earn a title of a savior without realizing that he just does the opposite.

I have run into far more unhygienic slobs in my time than I'd care to name.

What I'm questioning is where the idea comes from that this is at all systematic, rather than a bunch of disgusting individuals making the lives of those around them unpleasant. It's not considered socially taboo to wash your hands, or shower, or to rub down dirty surfaces, or to vacuum, or any other cleaning action that you can name.

On 1/26/2019 at 12:21 PM, MHV9218 said:

^ True, although some of these responses are insane. Who refuses to sit on the subway? That's just silly.

I'm standing on the (Q) with 15 pounds of groceries in my hands as I am writing this. I won't even let my shopping bags touch the floor of a train.

11 minutes ago, CenSin said:

I'm standing on the (Q) with 15 pounds of groceries in my hands as I am writing this. I won't even let my shopping bags touch the floor of a train.

How are you able to hold 15 pounds of groceries and post this?

Archived