The Official Bee-Line Thread

Lawrence St

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

41 is going to lose an afternoon trip, even worse the 40 that will replace it is going to end at Mt Vernon, not good for those going to the Bronx, looks like they want everyone going to the Bronx to be packed on the 20 and only have the 60 as an alternative from White Plains.

https://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/Schedules/spr20poster.pdf

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I took the 1C and the 3 for the first time in a forever and I have to say, those buses are not even mostly crowded as they used to be. The 1C definitely saw a ridership drop (since mostly everyone is virtual learning) and almost no one got off at WCC. The 3 trip i was on to Manhattanville, almost everyone got off at White Plains. Wow, times have changed.

On 12/20/2020 at 4:05 PM, Lawrence St said:

I took the 1C and the 3 for the first time in a forever and I have to say, those buses are not even mostly crowded as they used to be. The 1C definitely saw a ridership drop (since mostly everyone is virtual learning) and almost no one got off at WCC. The 3 trip i was on to Manhattanville, almost everyone got off at White Plains. Wow, times have changed.

Two Saturdays ago, I took the BL-15 from Pleasantville to the WP Transcenter..... When we got to South Plaza (Hospital Oval), a BL-40 was tailing us from that point, until where both routes diverge after serving  WCC.... The way they have buses serving WCC now is beyond stupid; all those short twists & turns for much of nothing.... May as well not even have buses serving WCC at all...

As for the BL-3, that's usually the case with that route though; AM buses basically tanking at the Transcenter, with most of whatever stragglers are left, getting off at Court st.... PM buses tend to steal riders from off the loop routes & the BL-12 & BL-13 east of Downtown White Plains....

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

As for the BL-3, that's usually the case with that route though; AM buses basically tanking at the Transcenter, with most of whatever stragglers are left, getting off at Court st.... PM buses tend to steal riders from off the loop routes & the BL-12 & BL-13 east of Downtown White Plains....

The one time I took it, I completely forgot that it doesn't begin/end there, and now that I'm thinking about it, the service to/from the Centre at Purchase seems like a feeble attempt at saying there's bus service to/from that part of Purchase.

And now that I see what it is, I now understand why. Rather than being some kind of mall, it's a bunch of offices that makes me think of the Teleport...

Edited by Lex

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Two Saturdays ago, I took the BL-15 from Pleasantville to the WP Transcenter..... When we got to South Plaza (Hospital Oval), a BL-40 was tailing us from that point, until where both routes diverge after serving  WCC.... The way they have buses serving WCC now is beyond stupid; all those short twists & turns for much of nothing.... May as well not even have buses serving WCC at all...

The way how the 1C alternates between WCC and WMC is also beyond stupid. 

I think when Bee Line was running on a modified Saturday schedule earlier in the year, the 1C did run but I believe it skipped WCC entirely.

The 3 is the best (and fastest) way to get from White Plains to Getty Sq and 242nd St which is why I wish it ran on weekends, so I understand why its popular. People also use it to go from 242nd St to Getty Square and vice versa quickly since the 1 & 2 tend to be crowded.

11 hours ago, Lex said:

The one time I took it, I completely forgot that it doesn't begin/end there, and now that I'm thinking about it, the service to/from the Centre at Purchase seems like a feeble attempt at saying there's bus service to/from that part of Purchase.

And now that I see what it is, I now understand why. Rather than being some kind of mall, it's a bunch of offices that makes me think of the Teleport...

The BL-12 runs past there; it just doesn't run inside there.

Anyway, yeah, that general area around Purchase Centre resembles that of a business park.... First time I went out there, I underestimated the shit out of that walk from that particular bldg. up to the BL-12 stop for Manhattanville rd..... For all I care, they can swing the Loop D inside there & cut the BL-3 back at E.J. Conroy with the rest of those routes & be done with it... Either that, or simply run peak hour, peak direction BL-12's in there....

Funny thing about the AM BL-3 is that some of those people that tank out at the Transcenter xfer over for the loop routes anyway... In the PM direction, the BL-3 is used more interchangeably along Westchester av. (east of White Plains) panning back towards White Plains.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The 3 is the best (and fastest) way to get from White Plains to Getty Sq and 242nd St which is why I wish it ran on weekends, so I understand why its popular. People also use it to go from 242nd St to Getty Square and vice versa quickly since the 1 & 2 tend to be crowded.

There's simply too much waste between [242nd & Getty Sq.] and between [Getty Sq. & White Plains].... Yeah, the BL-3 should run 7 days a week & I would sacrifice the BL-1W to do it.

• 4 weeks later...

Bee Line's bus network (unlike LIB/NICE bus) is a healthy mix of routes that are both urban & suburban in nature.... Whatever they plan on doing, I hope the core makeup of Westchester's bus network remains that way.... Meaning, not watering down the network where it's too suburban in nature (like SCT) - which, at minimum, would end up meaning less inter-borough coverage....

On 1/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, Mtatransit said:

Looks Westchester is looking at improving Bee-Line. 

It sounds like a redesign to me.

https://www.westchestermobility.org/

Maybe they can put the 78 back to being a Limited-Stop route. They added an extra 15 minutes to the run time when they added all those local stops, even when the 8 makes the same stops and is more frequent.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Maybe they can put the 78 back to being a Limited-Stop route. They added an extra 15 minutes to the run time when they added all those local stops, even when the 8 makes the same stops and is more frequent.

That sounds more like an attempt to get more people on the bus than anything else, especially with that bit to/from Stew Leonard's to consider.

3 hours ago, Lex said:

That sounds more like an attempt to get more people on the bus than anything else, especially with that bit to/from Stew Leonard's to consider.

No one gets on the 78 on that stretch, at least not anymore. The 78 also does not go to Tuckahoe so it loses most of that ridership for that reason alone.

2 hours ago, 40MntVrn said:

I'm keen to see if rt28 survives this redesign or if the route itself is severely modified.

I was like there is no Route 28 and I then I remembered thats the BxM4c number 🤣🤣.

17 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

What did the BL-78 used to do, and what does it do now? I thought the only non-stop portion was along I-87 up to Stew Leonard's.

I just realized, does anybody think there might be some demand for the BL-77 to make a stop off around the Westchester Medical Center? Or would it just serve to steal some riders from the BL-15?

Edited by checkmatechamp13

11 hours ago, 40MntVrn said:

I'm keen to see if rt28 survives this redesign or if the route itself is severely modified.

Probably not to be honest. Bee Line essentially killed the route back in 2010.

Some things I expect Bee Line to do

- Service between 241st and Yonkers will probably be combined somehow. 

- Service between White Plains and Yonkers. 1W is a easy candidate to be eliminated or reduced. Service on other routes will probably be combined or streamlined or rerouted

- I'm not sure how long they will continue to servicing the entire Boston Rd especially with NYCT service in the Bronx redesign. There is nothing preventing them to just end the route at Dyre Avenue

- That area between WCC and Weschester Med Center will probably be streamlined somehow. 

I still don't know what ridership base 18 bus is suppose to serve that is not served by the 16. Is it from peekskill RR to the area around Crompound? Could service be reallocated to the 16 instead?

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

What did the BL-78 used to do, and what does it do now? I thought the only non-stop portion was along I-87 up to Stew Leonard's.

I just realized, does anybody think there might be some demand for the BL-77 to make a stop off around the Westchester Medical Center? Or would it just serve to steal some riders from the BL-15?

I don't see why not. 15 is not frequent and 77 could supplement service there. 

Edited by Mtatransit

10 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

I still don't know what ridership base 18 bus is suppose to serve that is not served by the 16. Is it from peekskill RR to the area around Crompound? Could service be reallocated to the 16 instead?

I don't see why not. 15 is not frequent and 77 could supplement service there. 

The BL-16 bypasses the hospital during rush hours (except outbound in the AM rush). So the BL-18 covers that area and connects it to the actual Peekskill MNRR station (since neither the BL-14/15 actually serve the Peekskill station).

11 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The BL-16 bypasses the hospital during rush hours (except outbound in the AM rush). So the BL-18 covers that area and connects it to the actual Peekskill MNRR station (since neither the BL-14/15 actually serve the Peekskill station).

I see, I guess those 16 trips serve Peekskill Station when the 18 is running.