Ideas to Alleviate Severe 7 Train Overcrowding

Via Garibaldi 8

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

We aren’t supposed to break forum rules. There is always a workaround. :D I’m not knocking it at all. I am saying that you are underscoring the fact that the LIRR serves a different part of Midtown. You simplified things by saying that the LIRR and the (7) both go to Midtown. The (7) does not serve Penn Station. The LIRR does. Different catchment area, and yes some people transfer, but you’re talking about different clientele even within that catchment area. I could go on with that but I’ll use Riverdale riders as an example.

It’s like the people that take the BxM1 to 56th and Lex or 50th and Lex. Grand Central is nearby but requires backtracking and that backtracking can eat up the time saved on Metro-North. The Hudson Raillink can be quite fast to the train but you are still waiting to make that transfer unless you live along Palisade with a very short work to the station (I walk to the station as well at times, but it is still about 15-20 minutes walking, so roughly still 40-45 minutes) so in total maybe you spend 40-45 minutes for that part of the commute, but you then lose it with backtracking 10-15 minutes or more depending on the wait, so it becomes a wash and it makes sense to just use the express bus which is one bus and less up and down. 

Yes and no. Just Friday I traveled from Riverdale to 63rd St and Lex at midday. I would never take the express bus. The scheduled runtime is about an hour, but with 5-minute walk time to my stop, plus 5-minute wait time, plus traffic, it would easily take an hour and a half door-to-door. Instead, I left home in central Riverdale at 11:45, drove to MNRR Riverdale, parked, took the 12:01 train, arrived at GCT at 12:30, took the 4 train one stop and got to my destination at 12:45.

8 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

Yes and no. Just Friday I traveled from Riverdale to 63rd St and Lex at midday. I would never take the express bus. The scheduled runtime is about an hour, but with 5-minute walk time to my stop, plus 5-minute wait time, plus traffic, it would easily take an hour and a half door-to-door. Instead, I left home in central Riverdale at 11:45, drove to MNRR Riverdale, parked, took the 12:01 train, arrived at GCT at 12:30, took the 4 train one stop and got to my destination at 12:45.

It still took you about an hour, with a car, Metro-North, AND the subway. No thanks. I live in Central Riverdale. It’s about a six minute walk depending on where along Henry Hudson Parkway I get the bus or 10 minutes tops. Depending on traffic, you can get to 64th street in under an hour with the BxM1, at least from where I am at. Quite frankly, what some people do is drive or get dropped off at 230th and Tibbett. One stop and then on the Deegan if you get one that skips Inwood.

Archived