ADA-Accessibility - General Discussion

Union Tpke

I feel like that, with plans to increase the number of accessible subway stations, it would be useful to have a thread for it.

68th Street (6)  Start: Dec 2019 Completion: Apr 2023 (The schedule delay is due to design modifications and real estate issues.) (0%)

Eighth Avenue (N) Completion: Dec 2019 (22%)

New Utrecht Avenue/62nd Street (D)(N) Completion: Dec 2019 (65%)

57th Street (N)(Q)(R)(W)  Completion: Feb 2021 (29%)

95th Street (R) Start: Dec 2020 Completion: Jun 2023 (0%)

77th Street (R) In Planning

Westchester Square (6) In Planning

Union Street (R)  In Planning

Vernon Boulevard–Jackson Avenue (7) In Planning

East Broadway (F) In Planning

Queensboro Plaza (7)(N)(W) 

Design Start: Nov 2018 Design End: Mar 2019 (0%)

170th Street (4) Design Start: Jul 2018 Design End: Jan 2019 (0%)

Times Square (S) Start: Jan 2019 End: Dec 2021 (0%)

Court Square (G) Design End: Dec 2019 Construction Start: Apr 2020 (0%)

149th Street–Grand Concourse (2)(4)(5)  Design End: Mar 2019 Construction Start: Nov 2019 (0%)

Woodhaven Boulevard (J)(Z) Design End: Aug 2019 Construction Start: Dec 2019 Construction End: Dec 2022 (0%)

14 Street - 6 Avenue / 7 Avenue (1)(2)(3)(F)(L)(M)  Design End: Jul 2019 (0%)

Livonia Avenue (L) Design End: Mar 2019 (0%)

Bedford Avenue (L) Completion: Nov 2020 (23%)

Astoria Boulevard (N)(W) Completion: Nov 2020 (3%)

Bedford Park Boulevard (B)(D)  Completion: Jun 2020 (9%)

86th Street (R) Completion: May 2020 (16%)

Gun Hill Road (5) Completion: Jul 2020 (2%)

Eastern Parkway-Brooklyn Museum (2)(3)  Completion: Oct 2020 (1%)

Chambers Street (J)(Z) Completion: Aug 2020 (3%)

Greenpoint Avenue (G) Completion: Oct 2020 (11%)

59th Street (N)(R) Completion: Sep 2021 (0%)

Rockaway Parkway (L) Completion: May 2020 (0%)

First Avenue (L) Completion: Nov 2020 (10%)

Watch for details on options for Fast Forward Accessibility

Edited by Lance

• Lance pinned this topic

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the modified version of my Vignelli-inspired map illustrating the accessible stations and those that are in the planning or construction phases as of the latest update to the Capital Dashboard. Click on the image for a full resolution PDF.

map.thumb.png.90cfad2526b1834b68452b9f87efb312.png

As you can see, even with the new additions, we still have a lot of work to do to make the subway more accessible, especially on the Crosstown and Jamaica lines.

Edited by Lance

2 hours ago, Lance said:

Here is the modified version of my Vignelli-inspired map illustrating the accessible stations and those that are in the planning or construction phases as of the latest update to the Capital Dashboard. Click on the image for a full resolution PDF.

As you can see, even with the new additions, we still have a lot of work to do to make the subway more accessible, especially on the Crosstown and Jamaica lines.

Great Map!

Errors:

You left out East Broadway, 77th, Union, Vernon-Jackson, East Broadway.

Also, GCT on the Shuttle is technically ADA-accessible, but is not listed because the only other stop on the route, Times Square, isn't. You should somehow list this. In the service guide, you list the Rockaway Pk (S) as non-accessible. You should mention that it can be accessed by a platform transfer at Broad Channel.

You should mention the green dots in the Key and that all buses are accessible.

28th Street (6) is accessible downtown.

V is capitalized in Park Place Franklin AV.

There is a plan to make Grove St. accessible.

Edited by Union Tpke

19 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Seems they've added this huge boarding area graphic on the floor of the Downtown side at Fulton on the (4)(5)...

52608633_252438325681306_843010958178648

52816650_363402731180239_892088870006213

Saw a bunch of MTA people having a look when I took the first pic so it must be some sort of test.

Initially, this pilot was to be done at Church Avenue on the (F)(G).

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:52 PM, Union Tpke said:

You left out East Broadway, 77th, Union, Vernon-Jackson, East Broadway.

Also, GCT on the Shuttle is technically ADA-accessible, but is not listed because the only other stop on the route, Times Square, isn't. You should somehow list this. In the service guide, you list the Rockaway Pk (S) as non-accessible. You should mention that it can be accessed by a platform transfer at Broad Channel.

You should mention the green dots in the Key and that all buses are accessible.

28th Street (6) is accessible downtown.

V is capitalized in Park Place Franklin AV.

There is a plan to make Grove St. accessible.

The map is updated for the planned accessibility for East Broadway and 77 Street, along with the current accessibility at 28 Street, Grove St and Harrison. I did not include Union Av or Vernon Blvd as there is no information readily available pertaining to planned accessibility at these stations aside from a note on the Wikipedia pages.

In regards to both Times Square and Broad Channel, in my opinion, they don't count as a disabled rider cannot actually enter or exit the station from these platforms, hence the routes being labeled as inaccessible. Broad Channel's platforms are large and flat enough that riders can change between the shuttle and the (A) there, but they are out of luck if they are trying to get off at Broad Channel or any of the shuttle's intermediate stations. Times Square is a similar case as while the Grand Central platform is fully accessible, riders cannot go anywhere on the shuttle since Times Square's platforms are completely inaccessible and that's the only other station on the line. It's the same reason why I have the (G) as completely inaccessible despite the full accessibility at Church Av and the cross-platform partial accessibility at Bergen St through Smith-9 Sts.

37 minutes ago, Lance said:

The map is updated for the planned accessibility for East Broadway and 77 Street, along with the current accessibility at 28 Street, Grove St and Harrison. I did not include Union Av or Vernon Blvd as there is no information readily available pertaining to planned accessibility at these stations aside from a note on the Wikipedia pages.

In regards to both Times Square and Broad Channel, in my opinion, they don't count as a disabled rider cannot actually enter or exit the station from these platforms, hence the routes being labeled as inaccessible. Broad Channel's platforms are large and flat enough that riders can change between the shuttle and the (A) there, but they are out of luck if they are trying to get off at Broad Channel or any of the shuttle's intermediate stations. Times Square is a similar case as while the Grand Central platform is fully accessible, riders cannot go anywhere on the shuttle since Times Square's platforms are completely inaccessible and that's the only other station on the line. It's the same reason why I have the (G) as completely inaccessible despite the full accessibility at Church Av and the cross-platform partial accessibility at Bergen St through Smith-9 Sts.

Union and Vernon were added as part of the City's contributions to the Capital Program, which is described here:

45 minutes ago, Lance said:

For GCT, I am talking about future accessibility because Times Square will be accessible.

Union

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7160521&PLTYPE=1

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_budhist.php?PROJNUM=t7160521&PLTYPE=1

Vernon

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7160524&PLTYPE=1

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_budhist.php?PROJNUM=t7160524&PLTYPE=1

Just like 170th

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7160526&PLTYPE=1

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_budhist.php?PROJNUM=t7160526&PLTYPE=1

@LanceYou forgot to include Broad Street and 86th street (6) uptown. 

https://newyorkyimby.com/2016/07/45-broad-street-supertall-coming-with-new-subway-elevators-financial-district.html

https://newyorkyimby.com/2016/07/45-broad-street-supertall-coming-with-new-subway-elevators-financial-district.html

You should change Long Island Railroad to Long Island Rail Road.

Edited by Union Tpke

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

I know this is slightly off topic, but I wanted to point out that on the link you shared there's a map of the (J) line and it's one of the maps from after Hurricane Sandy. They also show the (M) to Jamaica Center and no one thought for a second to say, "Wait a minute... doesn't the MTA run trains downtown?"

BroadStreetSubwayElevators_20160726_03.j

2 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

I know this is slightly off topic, but I wanted to point out that on the link you shared there's a map of the (J) line and it's one of the maps from after Hurricane Sandy. They also show the (M) to Jamaica Center and no one thought for a second to say, "Wait a minute... doesn't the MTA run trains downtown?"

That’s a huge gap when we’re talking about lack of ADA Stations on the (J)!

i know that Woodhaven Boulevard and Crescent Street are planned for ADA. And people kept mentioning Broadway Junction at the Event. Norwood Avenue was also mentioned. 

If I’m not mistaken, Myrtle Avenue, Gates Avenue (I believe), Broad Street, Chambers Street and I think Alabama Avenue Are planned too. 

9 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

That’s a huge gap when we’re talking about lack of ADA Stations on the (J)!

i know that Woodhaven Boulevard and Crescent Street are planned for ADA. And people kept mentioning Broadway Junction at the Event. Norwood Avenue was also mentioned. 

If I’m not mistaken, Myrtle Avenue, Gates Avenue (I believe), Broad Street, Chambers Street and I think Alabama Avenue Are planned too. 

I'm very interested to see how they would handle Crescent. Theres not much room there.

48 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm very interested to see how they would handle Crescent. Theres not much room there.

Theres an abandoned apartment building near the station (next to the corner of Euclid Avenue and Fulton Street on Street level). If (MTA) some how managed to own that building, then maybe they could build a new ADA entrance using that. That’d be a logical solution in my opinion. 

I hope that whatever the MTA does, it doesn’t get done in a way that impedes future expansion. The MTA has a knack for doing that—building auxiliary structures and storage where bellmouthes are, building over currently unused right-of-ways with essential infrastructure, …

I can totally see the MTA going the option of punching holes in the 3-track structures on the (J) and (3) to make an elevator shaft.

14 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

By any chance, do you have the rest of this document that it's from?

6 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

By any chance, do you have the rest of this document that it's from?

Its straight from the link below

16 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

My mom just sent me a photo on her way home from work – we've seen the shaft for a while, but 86th on the 4/5/6 is getting an elevator! I only saw a shaft from street level, on the northbound side, as they're building a new building on the northeast corner, so it may be northbound only (and not sure if it'll serve both the local and express platforms, or just the local one). Still, it's something!

20190225_184432