Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Union Tpke

ADA-Accessibility - General Discussion

17 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

My mom just sent me a photo on her way home from work – we've seen the shaft for a while, but 86th on the 4/5/6 is getting an elevator! I only saw a shaft from street level, on the northbound side, as they're building a new building on the northeast corner, so it may be northbound only (and not sure if it'll serve both the local and express platforms, or just the local one). Still, it's something!

20190225_184432

That is only serving the local platform.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

That is only serving the local platform.

Gotcha. Will there be any elevators to the express platform at some point (or downtown local, either?). Seems like it was an opportunistic (though not in a bad way) choice as that whole corner is totally under construction because of the new apartment building, so it's logical they'd add an elevator when they had the chance without causing any surface disruption. 

Posted (edited)

I never understood why does Rockaway parkway need ADA construction? Isn't it like two steps to the train? Can't they just remove the steps? That station is ground level.

Edited by ABOGbrooklyn

6 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

I never understood why does Rockaway parkway need ADA construction? Isn't it like two steps to the train? Can't they just remove the steps? That station is ground level.

Same thing I said , there’s already a ramp there so what’s the point of the construction 

4 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

Same thing I said , there’s already a ramp there so what’s the point of the construction 

It wasn't an ADA Key Station, but has ramps because it is an at-grade station. Even though users with wheelchairs can use it, not all aspects of the station are ADA-compliant, making this work necessary.

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

It wasn't an ADA Key Station, but has ramps because it is an at-grade station. Even though users with wheelchairs can use it, not all aspects of the station are ADA-compliant, making this work necessary.

What else has to be installed to make it ADA compliant? Seems like it shouldn't be top priority to me..

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

what other aspects tho ?

13 hours ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

What else has to be installed to make it ADA compliant? Seems like it shouldn't be top priority to me..

11 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

what other aspects tho ?

Specifications include, but are not limited to: unisex toilet, facility room, cleaners room, storage room, and a new ADA compliant ramp with handrails at the South End of the platform.

1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

Specifications include, but are not limited to: unisex toilet, facility room, cleaners room, storage room, and a new ADA compliant ramp with handrails at the South End of the platform.

The only thing ADA about it was the latter, everything else is just a station upgrade to me.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, ABOGbrooklyn said:

The only thing ADA about it was the latter, everything else is just a station upgrade to me.

WRONG!

Features of Accessible Stations

In improving services to individuals with disabilities, the MTA identified stations where compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) would benefit the most people, analyzing such factors as high ridership, transfer points, and service to major areas of activity. These stations were given priority in our station-renovation program. We are continuing to expand accessibility features to more and more locations.

These stations have features that improve accessibility for customers with visual, hearing, and mobility disabilities, as specified by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Their features include:

• elevators or ramps
  • handrails on ramps and stairs
  • large-print and tactile-Braille signs
  • audio and visual information systems
  • accessible station booth windows
  • accessible MetroCard® Vending Machines
  • accessible service entry gates at subway stations
  • platform-edge warning strips
  • platform gap modifications or bridge plates to reduce or eliminate the gap between trains and platforms
  • telephones at an accessible height with volume control, and text telephones (TTYs)
  • accessible restrooms at commuter rail stations with restrooms (not all station buildings have restrooms)

In some stations, ramps constructed prior to the adoption of the ADA Accessibility Guidelines may not meet current ADA standards for slope, landing and handrail requirements. On commuter rail lines, some ticket offices and restrooms are not accessible by wheelchair.

Edited by Union Tpke
  • Upvote 3

Object/Purpose of Project

This project will provide Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessibility at Rockaway Parkway Station on the Canarsie Line.

Units/Locations/Limits

Rockaway Parkway Station, Canarsie Line, Brooklyn.

Summary

This project will provide the final elements of ADA accessibility at the Rockaway Parkway Station. Project includes relocation of agent booths, construction of various station rooms, retrofit of platforms to extend boarding areas and include warning strips and rubbing boards, and installation of new ADA compliant ramp and handrails. To be coordinated with an intermodal bus project at the station. The budget for this project is $5.48 million. This request is for $5.48 million.

It sounds like they needed to upgrade the platform as well. It's worth noting that not all platforms are necessarily level with the entire train.

They're also upgrading the bus area to be ADA-compliant as well.

Posted (edited)

The (MTA) should really prioritize opening these 50 elevators between 2020-2024. All these elevator opening delays and investments on cosmetic transit art/rehabs should be nothing but noise. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

32 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Where are they getting the 493 stations figure from?!

Maybe separating platforms?

49 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

America getting a little scared of China huh lol...

3 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Add in SIR.

• Thanks 1

I'm surprised that some transfer stations (parts of Court Sq, Broadway Junction, New Utrecht Av) were not considered key stations to begin with.

That list of 100 key stations was drawn up in 1994, based on revisions to the original list of 50 or so back in '84, made following a settlement between disability advocates and the city and state. A lot of the stations that look like prime locations for full accessibility today were not in the greatest of neighborhoods economically back then, and thus were likely passed on at the time.

On 3/28/2019 at 6:48 AM, Lance said:

That list of 100 key stations was drawn up in 1994, based on revisions to the original list of 50 or so back in '84, made following a settlement between disability advocates and the city and state. A lot of the stations that look like prime locations for full accessibility today were not in the greatest of neighborhoods economically back then, and thus were likely passed on at the time.

Even if they weren't great neighborhoods they're still major transfer complexes. I hate Times Square but that doesn't mean I don't use the subway station.

• Upvote 1

When will 96th Street, 86th Street, 77th Street and 59th Street on Lexington Ave Line be ADA Accessible and it sucks 30th Avenue, 39th Avenue, 36th Avenue and Broadway on Astoria Line Aren't ADA Accesible.

Cuomo is a Ableist!

On 4/7/2019 at 3:47 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

If only the (N) and (W) went to LaGuardia

It would met with Fierce Community Opposition Again, if N/W Line Extended to LaGuardia Airport. Back In 2003, there was a Plan to extend the Astoria Line to the airport, but the extension was never built due to community opposition in Queens.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150404184320/http://gothamist.com/2014/02/06/dream_direct_rail_service_to_la_gua.php

12 minutes ago, subwayfan1998 said:

It would met with Fierce Community Opposition Again, if N/W Line Extended to LaGuardia Airport. Back In 2003, there was a Plan to extend the Astoria Line to the airport, but the extension was never built due to community opposition in Queens.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150404184320/http://gothamist.com/2014/02/06/dream_direct_rail_service_to_la_gua.php

That was back then. If the (N)(W) LaGuardia Extension was proposed again, the reactions from the Astoria Community would be different. Of course there would still be opposition from the community, but I don’t think it’ll be as fierce like back then. That’s because whenever people in New York hear the word Elevated (in terms of the NYC Subway), they think of the old style EL’s that we currently have in Place. However, we’re long past those days and are this capable of building modern EL’s. Either way, it’ll still be better than Cuomo’s AirTrain. 

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. After the public meeting that (MTA) had about making more Subway Stations ADA accessible, did they ever make a final choice on which are he next Stations to receive ADA accessibility? 

(I personally hope they add Woodhaven Blvd (M)(R), Rockaway Blvd (A), And Crescent Street (J)(Z) onto their list)

• Thanks 1