ADA-Accessibility - General Discussion

Union Tpke

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found these two images showing what installing elevators would entail at 103rd Street-Corona Plaza and Avenue U.

48514430786_a506b9da8b.jpgElevators at Avenue U by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

48514612847_e5e997be19.jpgWhat elevators at 103rd Street would entail by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

I really want this study to be made public.

https://www.ellana.net/mta-ada-system-wide-accessibility-study-stantec

https://www.ellana.net/mta-ada-system-wide-accessibility-study-urbahn

13 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Are there cases where ramps would be cheaper? ie. One elevator to the elevated mezz, then ramps to each platform?

I’d imagine you could do that in the Rockaways given the large platforms and little passengers, but in other areas the ramp would take up too much platform space.

42 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

The Ramp could be flanked onto the side of the platform no?

That depends. ADA-compliant ramps require plenty of space, which is one of the reasons why so many accessible stations (around the world) use elevators. The accessible ones with ramps are often low-use, close to the ground, or in complexes. (Park Place falls into the first, Rockaway Parkway falls into the second, and Grand Central falls into the third. The last one is especially significant, as the 42nd Street (S) is currently inaccessible strictly because of those curves at Times Square.)

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 9:35 PM, Union Tpke said:

1. Norwood Avenue (J)(Z) — East New York Group 1

Crescent St might be a better choice to become ADA-accessible. It connects with the B13 bus which goes to Euclid Av and Myrtle-Wyckoff: both of which are already ADA-accessible. Crescent St also had more than 51% additional ridership than Norwood Av in 2018. The elevators at Crescent would help when the (J) is cut back from Jamaica to Crescent since the shuttle buses do not go to Norwood. Stations from Broadway Junction to Woodhaven Blvd (J) would still be 2 or less stations away from an ADA-accessible station if plans were to change. However, customers from Cleveland St and Norwood Av would have to travel farther to reach an ADA-accessible station if plans ever changed (Cypress Hills (J) would be closer to an ADA-accessible station).

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Lance said:

Since the MTA has provided a new list of potential stations to be made accessible in the coming years, here's an update to the Planned Accessibility map I've been working on.

Thanks for the update!

8 Avenue on the (N) is becoming accessible in both directions.

You didn't include the Manhattan-bound (E) and (M) platform at Court Square.

You also missed 7 Avenue on the (F)(G).

Edited by Union Tpke

I was moving 5 boxes of pumpkins by subway from Trader Joe’s at Union Square ((4)(5)(6)(L)(N)(Q)) to Canal Street ((6)(J)(N)(Q)). The lack of elevators and the frequency of out-of-service elevators made the return trip very difficult.

1. Took the (6) to 14 Street–Union Square and haul the hand truck up the stairs because that platform has no elevator. Got the hand truck up to street level via the escalator.
  2. Picked up my pumpkins at Trader Joe’s and headed back to the station.
  3. Took the elevator down to the mezzanine and then another elevator down to the uptown (N)(Q) platform.
  4. Took the (Q) to 34 Street–Herald Square and then went up the elevator to the mezzanine level.
  5. Went down the escalator to the downtown (D)(F)(R) platform and took the (F) to Broadway–Lafayette Street.
  6. At Broadway–Lafayette Street, I had planned on taking the elevator directly up to the downtown (6) platform. As luck would have it, that elevator was out of service. So I had to take the elevator to the uptown (6) platform instead. From the uptown (6) platform, I then took the elevator back down to the uptown (D)(F)(R) platform. And from there, I took the elevator up to the downtown (6) platform.
  7. Took the (6) to Canal Street and then took the elevator to the street level. There was a long line of people waiting to use it.

On 9/28/2019 at 11:28 AM, Lance said:

Since the MTA has provided a new list of potential stations to be made accessible in the coming years, here's an update to the Planned Accessibility map I've been working on.

I really dislike the Vignelli-style maps. The extra dots for each route adds too much visual clutter. The current MTA map isn’t the best at presenting the information either, but I can quickly scan for the wheelchair symbol next to the station names to see whether they’re accessible.

This one from 2015 is much easier to scan as the non-accessible stations have been completely stripped off the map: https://subwayrecord.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/the-mtas-accessibility-gap/

EMe6Oe9.jpg

Unfortunately, the map is much harder to edit, from my experience. Perhaps the map being used on The Subway Weekender might be easier to make alterations to seeing as it comes out weekly.

Edited by CenSin

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here's a Google My Map of the accessible, partially accessible, and inaccessible stations, those in progress, and those planned for the 2020-2024 capital plan: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MB1F-HQgDhGeNTr9L7KvvG_AEkmYC86H&usp=sharing

I have also blogged about how they count the stations. NYC has the only transit system that counts transfers as multiple stations. This inflates the percent of accessible stations and distorts their estimates for the remaining subway stations. They also make erroneous claims about how many elevators the next 70 stations will need. AB has said "at least 200, maybe closer to 250," but it will realistically be 150 based on their current average of 2.5 elevators per station, even when counting transfer stations only once. https://opencuny.org/jmurray/2019/02/18/even-worse-than-reported-the-nyc-subway-is-only-21-wheelchair-accessible/

I'm involved in the Rise and Resist Elevator Action Group https://www.riseandresist.org/elevator-action-group and always interested in connecting with other advocates interested in making the system more accessible. 

• 2 weeks later...