Bus Operator (TA) Exam #9618

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.71b36a2103f0305bdbdc1fc057f33cd1.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9618

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 8, 2021, with an expiration date, as of now, of September 8th, 2025.

Pay: Starts at $26.19 and increases to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: () - For Medical: ()

Next Training Class: To Be Determined in 2023 (Last one was September 25th, 2022)

Resources: To find out your list number, click here and type either your last name or "9618" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated November 5th, 2022)

4 hours ago, HeadhunterCali said:

How would i be good with the requirements if I've had my NYC CDL for less than 3 years???

And even if they start calling people in about two year and a half and they call you early, you can always go in and they will have you restore your name when your license hit three years. By then everyone will not all be hire by the time your license hit three year. You will be fine. 

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Jaybk11101 said:

Has anyone noticed that the amendment letter for the license requirements say it’s  for MaBstoa, I was wondering if this b significant because I was considering taking their exam for bus operator, sign up is at the end of the month

I see what you're referring to, however they sent out a similar e-mail for MaBSTOA B/O Exam #9100 the week prior, so they probably forgot to change it.

I wouldn't say it's 'significant,' it's just that MaBSTOA & MTA Bus Company has the same requirements once you're ready to report to Livingston Street for employment processing. That's all...

Thanks @+Young+, one last thing, In terms of arrest history and conviction history, I have no Felonise, nor have I been to Rikers. But I did have several arrests,  most of them for Operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license, and two for possession of marijuana in my teens.  Anyway all that stuff is in the past and cleared, my 4 year abstract I have no suspensions and I only have two points. I heard that NYCT is a civil service so they are a little stricter, just wanted to know what are my chances? Ive been clean for years(from weed) and I live like a hermit now.

1 hour ago, Jaybk11101 said:

Thanks @+Young+, one last thing, In terms of arrest history and conviction history, I have no Felonise, nor have I been to Rikers. But I did have several arrests,  most of them for Operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license, and two for possession of marijuana in my teens.  Anyway all that stuff is in the past and cleared, my 4 year abstract I have no suspensions and I only have two points. I heard that NYCT is a civil service so they are a little stricter, just wanted to know what are my chances? Ive been clean for years(from weed) and I live like a hermit now.

As long as you disclose it, and you bring your disposition certificates, you will be fine. They will do a background check on you, so it's better to disclose it up front than not to disclose it altogether.

In addition, none of us are 100% "angels." Therefore, as long as you bring those dispositions, you will be fine.

Hey guys I’ve been reading up on other forums, and I was wondering since they gave the BOSS exam the same day as the 9618 exam, are they attempting to expedite the process of hiring ?  Just so that will be great, I do have patience so I don’t mind waiting, but I would love to start driving buses, I’ve wanted this job so bad for a while, couldn’t do it in my 20s because my license issues and now that I finally put myself in a position to do so,  I’m itching to get started lol

9 hours ago, Jaybk11101 said:

Hey guys I’ve been reading up on other forums, and I was wondering since they gave the BOSS exam the same day as the 9618 exam, are they attempting to expedite the process of hiring ?  Just so that will be great, I do have patience so I don’t mind waiting, but I would love to start driving buses, I’ve wanted this job so bad for a while, couldn’t do it in my 20s because my license issues and now that I finally put myself in a position to do so,  I’m itching to get started lol

The original problem was that they would give the BOSS on another day, and there were too many scheduling conflicts. Now they gave both exams together and they don't need the candidates to come back a second time to take the BOSS exam.

On 7/19/2019 at 7:36 AM, +Young+ said:

The exam had two parts: The first part, which included the memorization portion, was the civil service exam. This part was 60 questions and the score you get from that will determine your list number (higher the score, lower the list number & lower the score, higher the list number).

The second part, which was 75 questions was the BOSS exam. This part is a pass/fail score. In other words, if you got one or two or three incorrect answers, in the long run it doesn't matter. However, if you got a lot of incorrect answers, then you're out of luck.

Do you have to take the Boss exam for 9618 ? From my understanding I thought you just had to take the multiple choice questions.

2 hours ago, Theenz said:

Do you have to take the Boss exam for 9618 ? From my understanding I thought you just had to take the multiple choice questions.

We already did! That was the second part to the multiple choice exam, which consisted of 75 questions which we had to use the "blue" answer sheet. Remember?

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, Kenstyles said:

Question...I'm a current school bus driver and I'm taking several city bus exams.

What happend if I get hired to one agency like MTB and then I get called by another agency like NYCT....what do I do? Transfer or quite or what?

If you get hired by either MTA Bus Company or MaBSTOA and then you get called by NYC Transit, you can simply transfer over.

This will come much later on, the trick now is to just get your foot in the door.

10 hours ago, Felcel said:

Has anyone heard anything of this exam? Any idea when the list is getting established?

It's not going to be for a while. As of the current moment, Exam 7612 is out. With the fact that the list Exam 7612 contains only 2,847 names, and, as of this typing, they are just shy of the half-way point, there is still going to be some time before the list for the next exam, Exam 9604 is established. Once that list is established, and depending on how many names are on that list, how fast they go through that list, etc., will then determine when this list will be produced.

If I had to take an educated guess as far as giving you a time frame, I would say this list will be established in perhaps three to four years, maybe five. It might be sooner depending upon what happens. Only time will tell.

Keep in mind that for Exam 4600, which is set to expire this January, according to the Notice of Examination for Exam 4600, that test was administered in December of 2013 and the list for that particular exam wasn't established until January of 2016 (about two years after the initial examination).

Edited by +Young+

On 9/15/2019 at 2:59 PM, +Young+ said:

It's not going to be for a while. As of the current moment, Exam 7612 is out. With the fact that the list Exam 7612 contains only 2,847 names, and, as of this typing, they are just shy of the half-way point, there is still going to be some time before the list for the next exam, Exam 9604 is established. Once that list is established, and depending on how many names are on that list, how fast they go through that list, etc., will then determine when this list will be produced.

If I had to take an educated guess as far as giving you a time frame, I would say this list will be established in perhaps three to four years, maybe five. It might be sooner depending upon what happens. Only time will tell.

Keep in mind that for Exam 4600, which is set to expire this January, according to the Notice of Examination for Exam 4600, that test was administered in December of 2013 and the list for that particular exam wasn't established until January of 2016 (about two years after the initial examination).

Thank you for being so detailed and helping everyone!!! You make it easier with the links you provide.

So basically, keep your license clean (no tickets), don't get in any accidents, and stay out of trouble....and just wait!

3 hours ago, Kenstyles said:

Thank you for being so detailed and helping everyone!!! You make it easier with the links you provide.

So basically, keep your license clean (no tickets), don't get in any accidents, and stay out of trouble....and just wait!

You're welcome!!

As far as keeping your license clean, if you click here I described the requirements that the agency is looking for when the time comes for you to report to pre-employment processing. As we all know, things happen in our lives at one point or another. So if you get into an accident or if you get a ticket (and you pay it) or if you get a point or two on your license, it's okay since the list for this exam is not going to be produced for a while. Plus, when they run your abstract, which you can do yourself by clicking here, they look at the last three years and not your entire driving record. Just remember that, for TA purposes, those "Defensive Driving Classes" do not count.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Theenz said:

I just passed got my cdl permit 

Congratulations.  I almost thought you got your letter staying that you pass. Since we will be getting notification sometime next year, if you're not going to go and try to get your CDL license now, don't stress yourself getting the permit because every year you will have to do the exam over and over until MTA call you. I would say wait until you get your letter stating that you pass, then go and try to get your permit.

1 hour ago, sisslims29 said:

Congratulations.  I almost thought you got your letter staying that you pass. Since we will be getting notification sometime next year, if you're not going to go and try to get your CDL license now, don't stress yourself getting the permit because every year you will have to do the exam over and over until MTA call you. I would say wait until you get your letter stating that you pass, then go and try to get your permit.

Does this pertain to your endorsements as well?

4 minutes ago, BixBash said:

Does this pertain to your endorsements as well?

Well you should have done qll your endorsements because once you have the endorsements and you pass your cdl road test,  then you are good. If for ex, you have air, general and passengers which are the three requirements for MTA, then you pass yyour road test you,  get your license. Then lets day you go back at a later date and add the school bus endorsements on after you already have your license, do you know you will have to take another road test. So have all your endorsements on by the time MTA call you. And as stated, your cdl permit is only valid for 6 months and you one additional renewal without taking the test again.

4 hours ago, sisslims29 said:

What? My apologies if I'm on the "negative" side, however for this particular exam, I highly doubt we're get notification sometime next year. Although the Human Resources office is now slightly past the halfway point for Exam 7612, they still have to go through Exam 9604 before this list gets published. If you read what I posted back in September 15th at approximately 3 PM, which is above this quote, it should be self-explanatory.

• 5 months later...
On 4/12/2020 at 9:57 AM, Kenstyles said:

This is crazy...so now what do you guys think happens after this pandemic is over?

Back in September, I provided a nice explanation detailing the situation, which I quoted directly above this line. A few updates since then:

-The list for Exam 4600 has been extended to January 6th, 2021 (yes, you did read that correctly)**

-As of this typing, for the purposes of pre-employment and the initial drug test, the Human Resources Office is approximately 80 to 85% through the list for Exam 7612**

-The list for Exam 9604 was published on November 27, 2019. Although this list contains 3,431 names, according to this thread, and as of this typing, no one has been called off of the list for Exam 9604 as of yet.

** = Although they already went through the entire list for Exam 4600 and approximately 80 to 85% of the list for Exam 7612, until these lists expire, if a candidate missed their initial appointment for whatever reason, they have a right to restore their name to the list for a maximum of three times, in which their list number remains the same.

Therefore, like I initially said back in September, it's not going to be for a while. As far an updated time frame, if I had to take an educated guess, I would say this list will be published in 18 months to two years, maybe three years. It all depends on how fast the agency goes through the remainder of the lists for Exams 4600 and 7612, followed by going through the list for Exam 9604.

However, I will say that once they get through the half-way point for Exam 9604, which is approximately 1,715 candidates, then we should expect something in regards to this particular list, between the list being published, candidates being invited to the 5th Floor of 180 Livingston Street to begin the pre-employment process, etc.

In the meantime, stay safe and healthy!!

Edited by +Young+
Revised educated guess

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2020 at 12:03 PM, +Young+ said:

Back in September, I provided a nice explanation detailing the situation, which I quoted directly above this line. A few updates since then:

-The list for Exam 4600 has been extended to January 6th, 2021 (yes, you did read that correctly)**

-As of this typing, for the purposes of pre-employment and the initial drug test, the Human Resources Office is approximately 80 to 85% through the list for Exam 7612**

-The list for Exam 9604 was published on November 27, 2019. Although this list contains 3,431 names, according to this thread, and as of this typing, no one has been called off of the list for Exam 9604 as of yet.

** = Although they already went through the entire list for Exam 4600 and approximately 80 to 85% of the list for Exam 7612, until these lists expire, if a candidate missed their initial appointment for whatever reason, they have a right to restore their name to the list for a maximum of three times, in which their list number remains the same.

Therefore, like I initially said back in September, it's not going to be for a while. As far an updated time frame, if I had to take an educated guess, I would say this list will be published in 18 months to two years, maybe three years. It all depends on how fast the agency goes through the remainder of the lists for Exams 4600 and 7612, followed by going through the list for Exam 9604.

However, I will say that once they get through the half-way point for Exam 9604, which is approximately 1,715 candidates, then we should expect something in regards to this particular list, between the list being published, candidates being invited to the 5th Floor of 180 Livingston Street to begin the pre-employment process, etc.

In the meantime, stay safe and healthy!!

That two year time frame works for me. I moved to NYC last May and left in December. I'm coming back February 2021 so hopefully by the time I get called ( if i passed) itll be closer to 2024. ( gotta have your NYC license for 3 years prior to Bus Operator pre employment)

• 2 months later...
36 minutes ago, yungfeenxm23 said:

Hello prospective MTA Family keeping the hope alive that we can still get on board with Exam 9618 pre-employment. Any updates available?

Please continue to stay safe as well. 

If you scroll up to Post # 172, which can be viewed by clicking here, I provided a detailed explanation of the situation. To make a long story short: It won't be for a while.

In addition, since you are fairly new, are you familiar with the guidelines of the website? If you can look over the "Forum Etiquette," it would be truly appreciated...thank you!