Bus Operator (TA) Exam #9618

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.71b36a2103f0305bdbdc1fc057f33cd1.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9618

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 8, 2021, with an expiration date, as of now, of September 8th, 2025.

Pay: Starts at $26.19 and increases to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: () - For Medical: ()

Next Training Class: To Be Determined in 2023 (Last one was September 25th, 2022)

Resources: To find out your list number, click here and type either your last name or "9618" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated November 5th, 2022)

On 10/25/2021 at 12:38 PM, HeadhunterCali said:

I JUST GOT THIS EMAIL THIS MORNING....

Hi,

We expect to recanvass candidates from this list in October/November, which should provide you with enough time to consider the opportunity and obtain the necessary license/permit.  If you have the requirements, please wait as we are calling candidates shortly.  You can also contact 347-643-8219 or email employmentcenteremd@nyct.com to set up an appointment for pre-employment processing.

As long as you have a drivers license valid in NYS (California would be valid), you are good to go.

So it's official! I'm good to go.... I just need to find out when my list number 3** can expect to be contacted, so i can zero in on when i should move back to NYC.

Have you tried emailing / calling the contact they provided you?

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Kenstyles said:

Everything is identical...that's why I don't understand why people say TA is better.

I explained the differences between the two here. If all of it doesn’t matter or affects you, then it’s basically the same. If you have time served with NYCERs, you would want to be TA, so your time served carries over. 

https://www.nyctransitforums.com/topic/53676-mabstoa-bo-exam-0100/?do=findComment&comment=1108238

5 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

I explained the differences between the two here. If all of it doesn’t matter or affects you, then it’s basically the same. If you have time served with NYCERs, you would want to be TA, so your time served carries over. 

https://www.nyctransitforums.com/topic/53676-mabstoa-bo-exam-0100/?do=findComment&comment=1108238

Thanks for the info @SevenEleven  so ideally it really doesn’t matter if you get in with OA or TA. Its the same benefits other than pension being backed by NYCERS for TA. 

On 10/24/2021 at 12:43 PM, +Young+ said:

They have started canvassing this month? According to this website, they haven't, however, maybe it's just me.

As far as when the 300s will get called, if you look at this website, and you type in "Bus Operator" in the search box, back in July, they were in the 590s/600s for the prior list, 9604. Now, according to the "Civil Service" Rules and Regulations of the City of New York, they have to hire those on the older lists first, which include 4600 (which expires this January), 7612, 9604 and then 9618. Therefore, as far as a time frame, it depends on how many people from the prior lists restore their name to the list and take the job. As far as being specific, I would say at least six months to even possibly one [1] calendar year from now. With the fact that, as of this past July, they were only up to the 590s/600s on the prior list, I don't even know why they published this list so early, however, maybe it's just me.

@+Young+ I sent You a pm.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:12 PM, HeadhunterCali said:

@+Young+ I sent You a pm.

I just sent you a reply. It's not pretty, however, it is what it is.

21 hours ago, Tony86 said:

Has anyone from 9618 heard anything? I have a low list number and I've yet to hear anything.

From my perspective, no one is going to hear anything, at least in the foreseeable future. The reason why is because, if you click here, and if you type "Bus Operator" into the search box, you will see that, they almost restored everyone's name back to the list for the prior examination, Exam 9604. Therefore, with the fact that they have at least 2,200 people to go through before they touch this list, it will be a while. As far as a time frame, I would say we're definitely looking into 2022, possibly by tax day, April 18th. (Keep in mind that April 15th, 2022 is Good Friday.) It all depends on who shows up for employment processing, who has their CDL (Commercial Drivers License) or CLP (Commercial Learners Permit), etc.

Now between you and me, regardless if you are a member or an anonymous guest, you might be wondering why they even published this list so early. All I have to say in regards to this is one thing and one thing only: Take an educated guess and go with it. And if your educated guess includes the word "problems," then at least we're on the same page as far as our thinking is concerned.

21 hours ago, Tony86 said:

Has anyone from 9618 heard anything? I have a low list number and I've yet to hear anything.

Nothing yet. Young may be correct. Due to the amount of bus operators needed they restored a lot of names from previous exams. However it’s still possible to get processed on this exam because from what I see they are hiring off of multiple exams at a time. Although many names are on the list thousands are not ready for hire or are no longer interested, may have pending tickets etc. Let’s just try to remain positive.

Thanks for the info! 

This actually works out a little better for me with a possible April time frame. I was actually worried that I would get call and hired in the middle of my semester and be fumbling to keep up. Fingers crossed and best of luck to everyone!

43 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

I just sent you a reply. It's not pretty, however, it is what it is. From my perspective, no one is going to hear anything, at least in the foreseeable future. The reason why is because, if you click here, and if you type "Bus Operator" into the search box, you will see that, they almost restored everyone's name back to the list for the prior examination, Exam 9604. Therefore, with the fact that they have at least 2,200 people to go through before they touch this list, it will be a while. As far as a time frame, I would say we're definitely looking into 2022, possibly by tax day, April 18th. (Keep in mind that April 15th, 2022 is Good Friday.) It all depends on who shows up for employment processing, who has their CDL (Commercial Drivers License) or CLP (Commercial Learners Permit), etc.

Now between you and me, regardless if you are a member or an anonymous guest, you might be wondering why they even published this list so early. All I have to say in regards to this is one thing and one thing only: Take an educated guess and go with it. And if your educated guess includes the word "problems," then at least we're on the same page as far as our thinking is concerned.

13 hours ago, Tony86 said:

Thanks for the info! 

This actually works out a little better for me with a possible April time frame. I was actually worried that I would get call and hired in the middle of my semester and be fumbling to keep up. Fingers crossed and best of luck to everyone!

Yeah, you should be safe. If they do reach out to you by mid-April, and you have to go to 180 Livingston Street, it's only a one-day event. However, we'll see what happens.

Good luck getting onto the Dean's List! You can do it!

2 hours ago, Jaybk11101 said:

I literally just passed a training bus in far Rockaway on Newport Avenue, does anybody know what depot/union that is?Seems like they are still hiring, and  going through those lists

The only way to tell is to look at the depot sticker and/or logo. This can be found either on the passenger side near the front passenger door, either right above or to the left, or on the driver side towards the corner in the top right. The other day, I had to go to JFK and I saw a Training Bus from Flatbush Depot there.

And yes, they are hiring, just not off of this list as of yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Harry unfeatured and featured this topic
  • Harry unfeatured this topic

I received a letter saying they was gonna start hiring in October to take the cdl permit test.  They made me my appointment told me to let them know of I pass...when I emailed them I was told when vacancies become available and when my list number is reached... why is this exam number keep being skipped over 

2 hours ago, Jay Nikki said:

Have they call anyone from this exam? I have a friend that just took the test last month a list has not even been established n she goes to 180 livingston for her pre employment next Tuesday ..

2 hours ago, Jay Nikki said:

I received a letter saying they was gonna start hiring in October to take the cdl permit test.  They made me my appointment told me to let them know of I pass...when I emailed them I was told when vacancies become available and when my list number is reached... why is this exam number keep being skipped over 

The examination you are referring to is being talked about in this thread/topic, it is not for this particular examination. As per the guidelines, if you can please stay on-topic, it would be appreciated...thanks.