Bus Operator (TA) Exam #9618

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.71b36a2103f0305bdbdc1fc057f33cd1.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9618

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 8, 2021, with an expiration date, as of now, of September 8th, 2025.

Pay: Starts at $26.19 and increases to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: () - For Medical: ()

Next Training Class: To Be Determined in 2023 (Last one was September 25th, 2022)

Resources: To find out your list number, click here and type either your last name or "9618" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated November 5th, 2022)

7 hours ago, BixBash said:

I'm not sure if you did the same but number 7 for me was a picture of a sign that you had to identify. 

It was for me during the AM session on that day!! Like I said, I took an educated guess with that one particular question...

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, sisslims29 said:

Yes, I was there. I don't recalled the question. ButbI got #7 question whatever it was wrong. Was that the question you got wrong though?

No in my original post I said I didnt get anything wrong from the memorization section which I think was the first 7 questions. Number 7 was tough for me also but I managed to get it right!

4 hours ago, +Young+ said:

It was for me during the AM session on that day!! Like I said, I took an educated guess with that one particular question...

Same here. The first 6 weren't that bad but I vividly remember being stumped at 7. That's why I remember that particular question. I guessed right apparently. 

9 hours ago, Theenz said:

I passed exam 9618 1 got 43 out of 60 but it was 75 questions how does that work ? 

The exam had two parts: The first part, which included the memorization portion, was the civil service exam. This part was 60 questions and the score you get from that will determine your list number (higher the score, lower the list number & lower the score, higher the list number).

The second part, which was 75 questions was the BOSS exam. This part is a pass/fail score. In other words, if you got one or two or three incorrect answers, in the long run it doesn't matter. However, if you got a lot of incorrect answers, then you're out of luck.

11 hours ago, sean sh said:

I was little late to send the E mail for protest, is it worth to go to protest? What is actually happening in protest? if anyone have experience in previous protest?

And Does any one know what were the questions for No 37& 40?

It is definitely worth it!!

I have attended the protest session for the last couple of exams, and to recap what happened:

After taking the elevator to the 4th Floor, the personnel at the door will ask to see your "Candidate's Record of Answers" from the exam. They may temporarily take it, however they will give it back. They are eventually going to lead us to a room. The last protest session was held in a smaller conference room, the second to last protest session was held in the standard classroom. In this room, besides signing in, they are going to give us the test booklet, memory booklet, the proposed answer key and several "blank sheets" all at the same time. What we have to do is not only compare our "Candidate's Record of Answers" with the proposed answer key, which you can actually do ahead of time since they're posted on this webpage, but if we think that the answer we selected is better than the proposed answer, then we will have the chance to make this argument on the "blank sheets" that they will give us. Just make sure you provide a thorough argument, because if you write down "My answer is better than your answer," it will not be valid.

In addition, the atmosphere during the protest session is the opposite compared to taking the exam, in other words, we can briefly talk to each other, we can ask each other for their opinion on a certain question, talk to each other more in-depth while walking out of the building, etc.

Hope this helps.

17 hours ago, sean sh said:

I was little late to send the E mail for protest, is it worth to go to protest? What is actually happening in protest? if anyone have experience in previous protest?

And Does any one know what were the questions for No 37& 40?

the last protest I went to it was like 5 people and the invigilator wasn't expecting anyone to show up, so I don't think you have to email first.

32 minutes ago, misslo said:

the last protest I went to it was like 5 people and the invigilator wasn't expecting anyone to show up, so I don't think you have to email first.

Yeah, even for the last couple of Bus Operator protests sessions I went to, I think the maximum amount of people that were there were about five.

11 hours ago, +Young+ said:

It is definitely worth it!!

I have attended the protest session for the last couple of exams, and to recap what happened:

After taking the elevator to the 4th Floor, the personnel at the door will ask to see your "Candidate's Record of Answers" from the exam. They may temporarily take it, however they will give it back. They are eventually going to lead us to a room. The last protest session was held in a smaller conference room, the second to last protest session was held in the standard classroom. In this room, besides signing in, they are going to give us the test booklet, memory booklet, the proposed answer key and several "blank sheets" all at the same time. What we have to do is not only compare our "Candidate's Record of Answers" with the proposed answer key, which you can actually do ahead of time since they're posted on this webpage, but if we think that the answer we selected is better than the proposed answer, then we will have the chance to make this argument on the "blank sheets" that they will give us. Just make sure you provide a thorough argument, because if you write down "My answer is better than your answer," it will not be valid.

In addition, the atmosphere during the protest session is the opposite compared to taking the exam, in other words, we can briefly talk to each other, we can ask each other for their opinion on a certain question, talk to each other more in-depth while walking out of the building, etc.

Hope this helps.

thank you so much, pretty clear. 

So to recap today's Protest session:

There were only two people, myself and another gentlemen. We both took the test on Sunday morning, June 9th @ Midwood High School. The other person submitted a protest for question #5, which was one of those memorization questions. I submitted a protest for questions 21, 36 and 47, so we'll see what happens.

I also asked how long it will take until the list is established and we get our official results - the representative said anywhere from 1 to 2 years. The reason why is because, once the list for B/O Exam 4600 expires this January and they're pretty much through B/O Exam 7612, with the exception of those restoring their name to the list, then they'll publish the list for B/O Exam 9604. Depending on how long that list is and how they're progressing with that list, then this one will be published.

The  good news though is the list for B/O Exam 7612 contains about 2,800 names, and, according to the comments on this page, they are approximately 1/4 of the way through the list, with the exception of those who missed their first appointment and are restoring their name to the list. For those of you who just took this exam: don't worry about the last portion of the last sentence.  Our time will come eventually.

Edited by +Young+

16 minutes ago, misslo said:

oh yeah the time i went, me and another guy was there.

It was me...I just sent you a Private Message (PM) and we'll take it from there......

Edited by +Young+

37 minutes ago, Felcel said:

Would the new reorganization plan the MTA just approved affect hiring from these exams? What are your thoughts on the new plan?

I was wondering the same. Did they ultimately agree to cut jobs? Sorry for my ignorance I haven't delved into it much only heard about it on the passerby.

1 hour ago, Felcel said:

Would the new reorganization plan the MTA just approved affect hiring from these exams? What are your thoughts on the new plan?

1 hour ago, BixBash said:

I was wondering the same. Did they ultimately agree to cut jobs? Sorry for my ignorance I haven't delved into it much only heard about it on the passerby.

If you read this article, it says towards the bottom "Cut between 1,900 to 2,700 jobs, largely from white-collar workforce," and, according to Wikipedia, "A white-collar worker is a person who performs professional, managerial, or administrative work." Therefore, in my opinion, the hiring from 'most' of these exams should not be affected, as long as there are vacancies that need to be filled. The reason why I say 'most' is because the hiring from Exam 7606 for Transit Management Analyst Trainee will probably be most affected by this reorganization plan.

In addition, if you click here and if you type in "N.Y.C. Transit Authority" in the search box on the top right, in my opinion, they are still hiring people for various 'blue-collar' titles. Perhaps not for Bus Operators, but they're calling for other titles...

Edited by +Young+

Granted I don't know much about the MTA. I hope they are not cutting bus operator jobs cuz with all this over population growth. The need to start hiring young people and ease up off some of the hiring rules :). I hope correctly but I asked the testing guy about why there needs to be  three years for DL and I could have sworn he said something to the effect of "well they changed the rules... make sure you have your permit and you cant get a Class A has to be a class B. OH and you have to pass the BOSS PART OF THIS EXAM 9618 AND IT WONT BE OUT UNTIL A YEAR OR SO.

On 7/24/2019 at 9:14 PM, misslo said:

Granted I don't know much about the MTA. I hope they are not cutting bus operator jobs cuz with all this over population growth. The need to start hiring young people and ease up off some of the hiring rules :). I hope correctly but I asked the testing guy about why there needs to be  three years for DL and I could have sworn he said something to the effect of "well they changed the rules... make sure you have your permit and you cant get a Class A has to be a class B. OH and you have to pass the BOSS PART OF THIS EXAM 9618 AND IT WONT BE OUT UNTIL A YEAR OR SO.

Exactly! I just moved to NYC and changed my CDL over in April. I'm hoping the next 1-2 Years while MTA gets the #9618 list ready that they'll change that "3 years NYC license rule" or I'm gonna be assed out. Which would suck cause i got a 94 percent on my test and I'm sure i passed the BOSS exam but we'll see....

12 minutes ago, HeadhunterCali said:

Exactly! I just moved to NYC and changed my CDL over in April. I'm hoping the next 1-2 Years while MTA gets the #9618 list ready that they'll change that "3 years NYC license rule" or I'm gonna be assed out. Which would suck cause i got a 94 percent on my test and I'm sure i passed the BOSS exam but we'll see....

I have a gut feeling that this is not going to be changed. Mind I ask what state you previously resided in? The reason why is because, when the time comes for you to report to Livingson Street, you will just need an abstract from the other state which is less than 30 days old for either your regular license or your CDL. As long as you have this, you'll be fine and good to go with the license requirement.

10 minutes ago, HeadhunterCali said:

Good thing also is within the next year or so while the list gets ready. The old buses will start to faze out and it'll be mostly new buses we'll be driving. So that's the brightside I'm looking at in terms of the loooonng wait lol #NewBusSmell

They already got rid of the RTS buses this past May...click here for details.

5 hours ago, +Young+ said:

I have a gut feeling that this is not going to be changed. Mind I ask what state you previously resided in? The reason why is because, when the time comes for you to report to Livingson Street, you will just need an abstract from the other state which is less than 30 days old for either your regular license or your CDL. As long as you have this, you'll be fine and good to go with the license requirement.

They already got rid of the RTS buses this past May...click here for details.

I moved here from Los Angeles in April.

3 hours ago, HeadhunterCali said:

How would i be good with the requirements if I've had my NYC CDL for less than 3 years???

First of all, this list won't be published for at least a year, maybe even two years so I would not be too worried about this right now. Even if it takes two years for them to publish this list, you have to see how many people scored higher than you, since they will be called first for employment processing.

However, according to this post, this post and this post, if you have a license from another state, just make sure you bring an abstract which is less than 30 days old from the prior state, since they do cross-reference the abstracts when you move from state to state. If you're still worried, you can call 347-643-8229/30/31/32, Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 2 PM and follow-up.

In addition, according to this post, there are people who work for NYC Transit who live in either Connecticut, New Jersey or Pennsylvania, and they're 100% legitimate.

Edited by +Young+