Bus Operator (TA) Exam #9618

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.71b36a2103f0305bdbdc1fc057f33cd1.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9618

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 8, 2021, with an expiration date, as of now, of September 8th, 2025.

Pay: Starts at $26.19 and increases to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: () - For Medical: ()

Next Training Class: To Be Determined in 2023 (Last one was September 25th, 2022)

Resources: To find out your list number, click here and type either your last name or "9618" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated November 5th, 2022)

any updates on where they are with the previous lists? and what is an updated educated guess for when the list is to be created for exam 9618?  back in april Young said up to 5 years then few months ago said maybe up to 3 years.  what about now? any changes or is it the same? thanks

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Diceman225 said:

any updates on where they are with the previous lists? and what is an updated educated guess for when the list is to be created for exam 9618?  back in april Young said up to 5 years then few months ago said maybe up to 3 years.  what about now? any changes or is it the same? thanks

First of all, let me say that COVID-19, and possibly the economic "aftershock" of COVID-19, from my perspective, has affected most things in one way or another. Therefore, as of now, I'm still going to go with my educated guess, which can be found towards the bottom of the previous page. The good news is that the HR Department of NYC Transit has begun canvassing people off of the 9604 list. However, since the list from Exam 7612 doesn't expire for another two years, and since they just started with the list from Exam 9604, we just have to see what happens. Keep in mind that, as per "Civil Service" rules and regulations, a Candidate can restore their name to a "Civil Service" list for a maximum of three [3] times.

As time evolves I should be able to provide a more concrete answer. In the meantime, keep an eye on the Exam 9604 thread to see how fast or slow to see how they are hiring people, which will be the foundation into my updated estimate guess. 

ok got you thanks, just for my own clarification the 18months, 2-3 years educated guess from april, is that from the time we took the test or from when you posted on april? . i got a 91 on the test but iam hoping wont be called until march-april 2022 as i am doing ok for now in current job and i have a few  things that i need take care of until then. with 9604 it took about 10months from establishment of list to people receiving emails to get things ready for appointment so if your educated guess is right for creation of list and if they start to only call 10 months after you would be correct in that it will be a while. I still need to get my permit but since in expires every 6 months and you have to renew, iam planning to take written exam maybe a few months after the list is created. thanks again for all you do on these forums and good luck to you and everyone else here, stay safe everyone , i have a feeling this winter things might start to get worse again with flu coming up and covid cases starting to rise again already.

2 hours ago, Diceman225 said:

ok got you thanks, just for my own clarification the 18months, 2-3 years educated guess from april, is that from the time we took the test...

Based on the way things are going, I don't anticipate the list for this particular exam to be released until March or April of 2022 the earliest, so you should be fine. You also need to keep in mind that with the list from Exam 9604, it took about 10 months from when the list was made public to people receiving e-mail messages which included the initial outbreak of COVID-19. Hopefully things will not get as bad as they were this past March or April, however, only time will tell.

Edited by +Young+
Clarification

• 7 months later...
On 5/27/2021 at 9:18 AM, Mitchell Roman said:

How will I know if I passed exam 9618 . I did not receive any results from the test back in June 2019 .

First of all, welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you on board!

When you took the examination back in June of 2019, one of the pieces of paper which was on your desk was titled "Candidate's Record of Answers," which was either yellow or green. If you filled out this piece of paper with your answers, you can compare this with the answer key, which is located on this webpage. After you do so, you can calculate your score:

-If you got 42 questions correct, 42 divided by 60 equals 0.7, which is 70% (the lowest score to pass the exam, anything below this is failing)

-If you got 48 questions correct, 48 divided by 60 equals 0.8, which is 80%

-If you got 54 questions correct, 54 divided by 60 equals 0.9, which is 90%

As far as receiving your results for this particular exam, to this date, none of us received our results. With these Civil Service Exams, once the list is published, then we will get our results. The quickest way to find out your results is by typing your last name into the search box of this webpage. With all of the Civil Service Exams that I have taken, between NYC Transit and DCAS, this particular webpage is "instantly" updated with the results, compared to waiting for them either in an e-mail message or in the regular mail.

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+
Clarification

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey all,

I'm very eager to get a list number for this exam and possibly become a bus operator. I have my CDL B & proper endorsements so I am ready!!!

One question, I am a current city employee (NYPD) looking to make this jump when the opportunity arises. Will my city time carry over?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, kc204 said:

Hey all,

I'm very eager to get a list number for this exam and possibly become a bus operator. I have my CDL B & proper endorsements so I am ready!!!

One question, I am a current city employee (NYPD) looking to make this jump when the opportunity arises. Will my city time carry over?

Thank you.

Hi, 

Welcome to the NYC Transit Forum. If you’re applying a civil service title, which this exam is, Your time served from NYPD will carry over. That also applies for Sanitation, FDNY and other civil service agency. Did you apply for this bus operator exam?

45 minutes ago, Flatbush Operator said:

Hi, 

Welcome to the NYC Transit Forum. If you’re applying a civil service title, which this exam is, Your time served from NYPD will carry over. That also applies for Sanitation, FDNY and other civil service agency. Did you apply for this bus operator exam?

Yup. Thanks for the response. Took it in June 2019. From what I remember I got over 95, patiently waiting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 10:40 AM, +Young+ said:

First of all, welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you on board!

When you took the examination back in June of 2019, one of the pieces of paper which was on your desk was titled "Candidate's Record of Answers," which was either yellow or green. If you filled out this piece of paper with your answers, you can compare this with the answer key, which is located on this webpage. After you do so, you can calculate your score:

-If you got 42 questions correct, 42 divided by 60 equals 0.7, which is 70% (the lowest score to pass the exam, anything below this is failing)

-If you got 48 questions correct, 48 divided by 60 equals 0.8, which is 80%

-If you got 54 questions correct, 54 divided by 60 equals 0.9, which is 90%

As far as receiving your results for this particular exam, to this date, none of us received our results. With these Civil Service Exams, once the list is published, then we will get our results. The quickest way to find out your results is by typing your last name into the search box of this webpage. With all of the Civil Service Exams that I have taken, between NYC Transit and DCAS, this particular webpage is "instantly" updated with the results, compared to waiting for them either in an e-mail message or in the regular mail.

Good luck!!

I don't think the list has been established yet... I know i passed from the green answer sheet paper that was giving for us to fill in. But i don't see my name when i typed it in on the website you provided. I really hope i passed. 

19 hours ago, HeadhunterCali said:

I don't think the list has been established yet... I know i passed from the green answer sheet paper that was giving for us to fill in. But i don't see my name when i typed it in on the website you provided. I really hope i passed. 

You're correct, as of now, the list has not been established...when the list is established, you will see it on the website. Until then, you won't see it.

4 hours ago, +Young+ said:

You're correct, as of now, the list has not been established...when the list is established, you will see it on the website. Until then, you won't see it.

Interesting news. I got email just now saying the list will be established in a few weeks. Plus that there is an immediate need for bus operators and if you haven't done so you should get your CDL asap. But no mention of the 3 year rule! I'm soo hoping that since they desperately need drivers that they will waved that 3 year NYC license rule. 🤞🏾🤞🏾

Hello perspective transit family. Received a email and phone call today as regards to Exam 9618 list being established in a few weeks. Currently I have a CDL Permit B with passenger endorsement no Air brake as of yet. The permit expires in November, 2021.  Any help or advice as to if I will have to retake all endorsements including air brake and general knowledge for permit. 

thanks in advance 

8 hours ago, HeadhunterCali said:

Interesting news. I got email just now saying the list will be established in a few weeks. Plus that there is an immediate need for bus operators and if you haven't done so you should get your CDL asap. But no mention of the 3 year rule! I'm soo hoping that since they desperately need drivers that they will waved that 3 year NYC license rule. 🤞🏾🤞🏾

Indeed...I also got the e-mail as well. What a coincidence, right? As far as the three year rule is concerned, this is still mentioned on the top of the second page of the Notice of Examination...sorry...

7 hours ago, Jaybk11101 said:

Does anyone know what the hiring process is like?

I'm going to let someone else who recently went through this share their feedback, however, in a nutshell, the hiring process consists of the following:

1) Pre-employment Canvass (To make a long story short, they will send you an e-mail asking you to fill out this packet and e-mail it back to them, along with a copy of your license, passport and social security card)

2) Drug Test (this will be done at 180 Livingston Street by appointment only via urine)

3) Medical (click here for a brief overview, just make a notation of how old some of those posts are)

4) Final Processing

5) 10-Day Training Session out of Zerega (click here for an overview)

6) Line Training at respective depot

4 hours ago, yungfeenxm23 said:

Hello perspective transit family. Received a email and phone call today as regards to Exam 9618 list being established in a few weeks. Currently I have a CDL Permit B with passenger endorsement no Air brake as of yet. The permit expires in November, 2021.  Any help or advice as to if I will have to retake all endorsements including air brake and general knowledge for permit. 

thanks in advance 

You are allowed to renew your Permit once without taking any of the examinations that you already took. My suggestion to you is to renew your permit, along with air brakes. If you do not have air brakes, you will not be able to proceed.

Good luck everyone!!

Edited by +Young+
Addition and Typographical error

On 9/7/2021 at 3:41 PM, HeadhunterCali said:

The won't wave the three year rule because it's a minimum years of driving experience necessary before you are responsible for handling a 40 to 60 foot vehicle, it's liability reasons and such. Maybe perhaps they might wave the five year rule.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, kc204 said:

Sorry for the double post, I was wondering if anyone can help me with MTA's pension options, retirement age and hours that are worked? The information I find online is scarce and there's so much information to read through here. 

Retirement is 25/55. 

Pension is through NYCER

401k/457 IRA through Prudential.

Medical Benefit: Aetna

Dental/Vision : Through union.

Hours varies by the run and route. You can work between 80 -120+ hours bi-weekly. Overtime also available depending the depot. 

Overtime work:

• Doubles
  • Shifting,
  • Extra's Piece "Finishing up another run/route that need coverage or Yard work",
  • Shuttle's,
  • RDO's
  • COVID cleaning work

On 9/19/2021 at 3:52 PM, Flatbush Operator said:

Retirement is 25/55. 

Pension is through NYCER

401k/457 IRA through Prudential.

Medical Benefit: Aetna

Dental/Vision : Through union.

Hours varies by the run and route. You can work between 80 -120+ hours bi-weekly. Overtime also available depending the depot. 

Overtime work:

• Doubles
  • Shifting,
  • Extra's Piece "Finishing up another run/route that need coverage or Yard work",
  • Shuttle's,
  • RDO's
  • COVID cleaning work

Wow, thank you so much, very helpful.

I know you answered me earlier before in this thread, I assume my pension with NYPD (which is also under NYCER) would carry over. This would be a great opportunity. 

I’m 20 i took this test 2 years ago got a 95 I have my CDL class b with all endorsements needed I have 3 plus years of driving does anyone know if they will hire me and put me threw the process my birthday is February 2nd I can’t find anything online about a age requirement I hope they will let me go thru the process this is my dream job thank you