Bus Operator (TA) Exam #9618

+Young+
Message added by +Young+

40px_exams_nyct.png.71b36a2103f0305bdbdc1fc057f33cd1.png

Bus Operator, Exam No. 9618

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 8, 2021, with an expiration date, as of now, of September 8th, 2025.

Pay: Starts at $26.19 and increases to $37.42 in the sixth year of service.

List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: () - For Medical: ()

Next Training Class: To Be Determined in 2023 (Last one was September 25th, 2022)

Resources: To find out your list number, click here and type either your last name or "9618" into the search box on the top right hand side of the screen.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

Good luck!!

(Updated November 5th, 2022)

1 hour ago, Robgleason said:

I’m 20 i took this test 2 years ago got a 95 I have my CDL class b with all endorsements needed I have 3 plus years of driving does anyone know if they will hire me and put me threw the process my birthday is February 2nd I can’t find anything online about a age requirement I hope they will let me go thru the process this is my dream job thank you 

When you turn 21? 

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Robgleason said:

I’m 20 i took this test 2 years ago got a 95 I have my CDL class b with all endorsements needed I have 3 plus years of driving does anyone know if they will hire me and put me threw the process my birthday is February 2nd I can’t find anything online about a age requirement I hope they will let me go thru the process this is my dream job thank you 

4 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

if they call you before than might have to decline for a few months then reinstate, these guys can elaborate further  @SevenEleven @+Young+

First of all, as of this typing (Monday, September 21st, 2021 at approximately 8:30 PM), the list has not been published. Therefore, although you got a 95, which is a very good score, neither you or me know how many people scored higher than you, right? As a result, let's wait until the list is officially published, and then we'll take it from there.

As far as an age requirement is concerned - if you click here, and you carefully examine the top of the first page, you will see that the minimum age to hold a Class B CDL is eighteen (18) years old. Once you turn 21, then you will be eligible to transport hazardous materials or operate a School Bus. Therefore, they should let you go through with the process.

2 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

First of all, as of this typing (Monday, September 21st, 2021 at approximately 8:30 PM), the list has not been published. Therefore, although you got a 95, which is a very good score, neither you or me know how many people scored higher than you, right? As a result, let's wait until the list is officially published, and then we'll take it from there.

As far as an age requirement is concerned - if you click here, and you carefully examine the top of the first page, you will see that the minimum age to hold a Class B CDL is eighteen (18) years old. Once you turn 21, then you will be eligible to transport hazardous materials or operate a School Bus. Therefore, they should let you go through with the process.

Yeah let’s hope so but thank you I’ll come back here when the list is published let’s hope for early October 

1 hour ago, dman1455 said:

List established as of 9/8/21, I did better then I thought, list number 5x.

Good for you! My final score on the exam was 90, and my list number is in the 700's.

What's interesting to note as well is, as I play around with the Active Civil Service List webpage, simply by typing "9618" into the search box, the list only consists of 2,871 people - which is not a lot of people, however we'll see what happens as time progresses.

On 9/7/2021 at 7:10 PM, +Young+ said:

Good luck everyone!!

Hello friends and future MTA family. Took my Air Brake endorsement test today and successfully passed. I will try to obtain the CDL B license while taking lessons at a certified school before my list number (2,1**) is called for Exam 9618. I’m assuming that would make the transition easier while getting a foot in the door. Does anyone know the current list number that they’re up to? Greatly appreciated thanks in advance. 

20 hours ago, +Young+ said:

Good for you! My final score on the exam was 90, and my list number is in the 700's.

What's interesting to note as well is, as I play around with the Active Civil Service List webpage, simply by typing "9618" into the search box, the list only consists of 2,871 people - which is not a lot of people, however we'll see what happens as time progresses.

Also scored a 90 list # is 7XX. I’m so excited I can’t wait. Thanks for the link! 

On 9/19/2021 at 3:52 PM, Flatbush Operator said:

Retirement is 25/55. 

Pension is through NYCER

401k/457 IRA through Prudential.

Medical Benefit: Aetna

Dental/Vision : Through union.

Hours varies by the run and route. You can work between 80 -120+ hours bi-weekly. Overtime also available depending the depot. 

Overtime work:

• Doubles
  • Shifting,
  • Extra's Piece "Finishing up another run/route that need coverage or Yard work",
  • Shuttle's,
  • RDO's
  • COVID cleaning work

Hello,

Please can anyone explain the medical benefits, the co-pays and how muxh they deduct from your check for medical benefit? Thanks 

On 9/25/2021 at 7:32 AM, BARY said:

Hello,

Please can anyone explain the medical benefits, the co-pays and how muxh they deduct from your check for medical benefit? Thanks 

I don't have the documentation available but there's two tiers:

The standard is $15 copay but no paycheck deduction. The premium is $0 copay but ~$30/check.

The majority of things are covered with just your copay. 

19 hours ago, SevenEleven said:

I don't have the documentation available but there's two tiers:

The standard is $15 copay but no paycheck deduction. The premium is $0 copay but ~$30/check.

The majority of things are covered with just your copay. 

Thanks so much. Am considering leaving my NYS job just because of the health insurance. I don't like the NYSHIP health plan. I might get an email anytime. Please anyone with more detail information should help please. Thanks in advance 

Aw man 2xx, and with such a short list, I’m surprised and excited, I’m ready to give it all I got, been seeing a lot of training buses lately, and the news keep showing stories that they mta needs a lot of new hires, I guess we’re lucky the pandemic made this happen, but it’s been  hell these last couple years, anyway good luck everyone, everyone I know who’s employed tells me the same thing, this job changed their life for the better, and they’ve never been happier

8 hours ago, Jaybk11101 said:

Aw man 2xx, and with such a short list, I’m surprised and excited, I’m ready to give it all I got, been seeing a lot of training buses lately, and the news keep showing stories that they mta needs a lot of new hires, I guess we’re lucky the pandemic made this happen, but it’s been  hell these last couple years, anyway good luck everyone, everyone I know who’s employed tells me the same thing, this job changed their life for the better, and they’ve never been happier

How short is the list?

3 hours ago, Kenstyles said:

Just got my letter 3xx.

That took forever. Wonder how long the hiring process will take now.

I'm a school bus driver so I already have my license and endorsements.

Any company hiring at the moment including the one your with? I’m Looking to gain experience on the road with CDL B before I get called for the interview. 

6 hours ago, yungfeenxm23 said:

Any company hiring at the moment including the one your with? I’m Looking to gain experience on the road with CDL B before I get called for the interview. 

Logan Bus Company has immediate positions available. If you’re interested I can put you in touch with the hiring manager. 

8 hours ago, yungfeenxm23 said:

As per the guidelines, if we can stay on-topic, it would be appreciated. If you're looking for experience, consider looking at this thread/topic.

In addition, just to add my two cents, if you do not have the School Bus "S" endorsement, and you live in Queens, there is a Coach Bus Company out of Nassau and Suffolk County which is also looking to hire drivers. For more information, send me a Private Message (PM) and we'll take it from there.

I'm list 3xx. I know I'm gonna have to turn it down probably twice cause i left NYC during the pandemic early 2020 and i didn't even have my NY license for a year (got it April2019). Damn. Im coming back to NY early next year. So i won't get in with NYCTA till 2025 :(

Edited by HeadhunterCali

On 9/21/2021 at 2:27 PM, Robgleason said:

After looking at the Notice of Examination linked at the top of this forum, I didn't see any requirement for age. Good Luck!