Introducing OMNY, the MetroCard's replacement

Enjineer

2 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

There are a lot of people, especially those who go to the Big 5 schools (plus Drexel) in particular in Philly who would want this as many of them regularly go up to New York for a variety of reasons for example.  There are also those who live in Philly but work in NYC because of the high rents in NYC who would benefit by being able to use it on both systems. 

They’d have to partner with at least one other transit agency, most likely New Jersey Transit, for this to truly be worth doing, because to go between NYC and Philly, you must go through Jersey. Otherwise, it won’t be worth it to make OMNY compatible with SEPTA Key. And given Key’s own problems with  implementation, this would be something I’d want to hold off on doing until at least MTA has fully implemented OMNY.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

But they could have implemented that more widely, opening the door to this newer version more easily by working out kinks, getting people used to it, etc

RFID was old news by the time this was happening. Cards lost support for it and phones didn't incorporate the tech. 

11 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Forgive me for my lack of excitement lol. About a decade ago, I remember them installing tap and go readers in the same stations on the Lex line! This tech has been aroubd for years, should've been installed widely years ago

Technology is always marching ahead. 10 years ago, what we're getting did not yet exist. These cards come in generations. We'd likely have been replacing that 2008-2010 set of cards now, come to think of it.

It's a good thing we waited. The MTA took note of SEPTA and CTA with Key and Ventra respectively and didn't want to make the same mistakes.

The card we are getting is the latest, safest, design. And I think we should wait and see.

Since, you know, it's actually happening now.

Edited by LTA1992

On 2/22/2019 at 6:47 PM, LTA1992 said:

Let it be known that I adore this name. 

Stylish and simple. Add in the function to use it for other regional systems and store purchases and they could really make some bank off this brand.

I like the acronym OMNY for One Metro New York.

Our fare card here in Tucson, Arizona is Sun Go. It is a plastic credit card size card.

11 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

They’d have to partner with at least one other transit agency, most likely New Jersey Transit, for this to truly be worth doing, because to go between NYC and Philly, you must go through Jersey. Otherwise, it won’t be worth it to make OMNY compatible with SEPTA Key. And given Key’s own problems with  implementation, this would be something I’d want to hold off on doing until at least MTA has fully implemented OMNY.

Good point.  It's just the heavy amount of travel between Philly and NYC is why I've thought this way for a long time (and I'm sure back in the day, there were many in NYC who accidentally tried to put SEPTA tokens in the turnstiles for instance).  

And yes, something that works on SEPTA/NJT/PATH/MTA (and the full MTA system, not just city transit) and is compatible with all such is needed. 

18 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

Whatever system is used, I'd be pushing to make it where it and SEPTA's (Philadelphia) KEY card system are compatible with each other and can be used on both systems.  There are a good number of people who regularly go between New York and Philly and having such be able to work on both systems would be beneficial to both. 

Futile.....

Philadelphia is not a part of the NY Metropolitan area....

16 hours ago, sovetskii52 said:

I am very excited about this because I hate the current Metrocards. I ALWAYS have trouble swiping. It keeps telling me to swipe again. I swipe slower, faster, smoother, etc. Ugh. And this happens with different Metrocards and at different stations. There have also been five instances when I was supposed to get a free transfer but it took a second fare off my card. And back when I used unlimited Metrocards I sometimes faced the "Just Used" message even though the turnstile never let me through. I really hope this new card will solve the problem.

While valid, as I've read & heard about these types of issues about the metrocard across different media platforms (basically since the days following the thing's inception) from different people over the years, I've seldom/rarely had problems with the metrocard myself.... I find that some people swipe and/or dip too fast, or too vigorously (any b/o, especially, will tell you this).... As with any card, the condition you keep it in, also plays a factor..... With that said, I don't necessarily have a particular stance on whether the thing should stay or go....

What I will say though is that, I did favor the token over the metrocard.... Part of it is due to nostalgia, but also (and call this being lazy or old-fashioned or whatever, but), I knew the value of a token when I had it in my hand... With a metrocard however, and still & to this day, I can hold the thing in my hand & not know how much is on it/how many days there are left on it.... I'm not at all proclaiming that this would have been feasible, but at the same time, it's too bad a, or even an attempt at a portable reader was never made for it.... IMO anyway....

Now that aspect of it won't change with the tap-to-pay system, but still, I think the metrocard had a good run.... So for me, it's not so much good riddance, but more R.I.P.....

11 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

....should've been installed widely years ago

The MTA should have been, and did, many things ago.

AFAIC, this should be a mantra....

1 hour ago, Q Broadway Express said:

I like the acronym OMNY for One Metro New York.

▪️As a singular name for the thing ("OMNY"), I think it's pretty dope.... I can see it easily catching on real quick....

▪️As an acronym though, to me it comes off as lackadaisical, or incomplete (i.e. "One Metro New York"...... What?)

I get that it's supposed to suggest that the thing is a universal payment system for public transit in the NY Metro area (as the prefix omni- [or, omNY, meant to put a NY spin on it] basically means, all), but I still think they could've spared it as an acronym..... Or at least, come up with something in the "OM" part that makes some type of reference to it being a tap & go, or even a payment system in general..... This just goes to show that creating accurate acronyms aren't easy at all.... I give the MTA's marketing dept. a solid 7 out of 10 here... LOL!

Hell, before coming into the thread, I didn't even know that it actually stood for something.... I don't want to dismiss it by saying that nobody's gonna call it One Metro New York anyway, but at the same time, sometimes you gotta know when to fold em.....

Edited by B35 via Church

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Now that aspect of it won't change with the tap-to-pay system

If you're referring to knowing exactly your balance, I'd guess with a phone payment app (e.g. Apple Pay/Wallet/Android Pay/whatever you want) you'd be able to see, manage, and probably refill your balance on the go. While using an eventual OMNY card might not allow it, the general assumption is that people will use their phones for most of the payments anyways, and cards will be less common. In that regard, I think that opens up more possibilities than both tokens and the MetroCard, since you could easily manage your payments anywhere via your phone. 

I really hope though that some dedicated OMNY card exists, not just for more ways to pay, but also since I loved collecting MetroCards. And I'm sure people loved collecting old tokens as well. Would be nice to see some special variants of it with time as well, but one can dream at the very least obviously. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I really hope though that some dedicated OMNY card exists

They confirmed they will have an actual card further into the rollout. To start it'll be via phones, but by the time they actually phase out the MetroCard in 2022/2023, they'll have an OMNY card for those who might not want to/can't use a phone to pay. 

@B35 via Church, Philly may not be a part of the NY Metro area, but it IS within the Megacity that stretches from DC to Boston.

Philly is also close enough for normal commutation and people do so everyday. Why can't OMNY be added on the buses to NYC or places in between (NJT could also switch to OMNY)? Not only would that provide a reason for SEPTA to adopt OMNY, but you could even have a special Intercity fare for card holders. Cheaper fares than Amtrak and certain bus lines could be offered incentivising travel.

Extra revenue for both the MTA and these other carriers could be generated. 

Making OMNY available for use in stores could further incentivise it. I would love it if all I needed was a single card to get anywhere from Boston to DC like I could have with Pasmo/Suica in Japan.

Hell, add in the Ferries.

I really hope they don't stop with basic fare payment functionalities. There is so much potential here that would bring in revenue.

On the official OMNY page it references integrating commuter rail. Does anyone have any idea how this would be implemented and how it would tie in/replace eTix?

My thoughts are that they going to go with what Go Transit (Toronto) has where you tap a reader before you board to pay, and then a conductor comes round and checks your card to see if you tapped. Just a theory, I have no idea what the MTA will ultimately go with

3 hours ago, ibroketheprinter said:

On the official OMNY page it references integrating commuter rail. Does anyone have any idea how this would be implemented and how it would tie in/replace eTix?

My thoughts are that they going to go with what Go Transit (Toronto) has where you tap a reader before you board to pay, and then a conductor comes round and checks your card to see if you tapped. Just a theory, I have no idea what the MTA will ultimately go with

This is what a lot of mainline rail systems do, and frankly the MTA should do so as well. It will relieve a lot of congestion at the ticket counters and ticket machines at NY Penn, and save a reasonable amount of paper. The mainline rail systems can even consider moving to POP, though I'm not certain if it's feasible because NYC actually has significant rail ridership unlike the rest of the country.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:04 AM, LTA1992 said:

@B35 via Church, Philly may not be a part of the NY Metro area, but it IS within the Megacity that stretches from DC to Boston.

Philly is also close enough for normal commutation and people do so everyday. Why can't OMNY be added on the buses to NYC or places in between (NJT could also switch to OMNY)? Not only would that provide a reason for SEPTA to adopt OMNY, but you could even have a special Intercity fare for card holders. Cheaper fares than Amtrak and certain bus lines could be offered incentivising travel.

Extra revenue for both the MTA and these other carriers could be generated. 

Making OMNY available for use in stores could further incentivise it. I would love it if all I needed was a single card to get anywhere from Boston to DC like I could have with Pasmo/Suica in Japan.

Hell, add in the Ferries.

I really hope they don't stop with basic fare payment functionalities. There is so much potential here that would bring in revenue.

While there may be a market for this, I can't imagine it's that large where the costs of expanding the payment system that far outside of the NYC metro area will be offset by the benefits of it. I'm aware of the super commuters that travel between Philadelphia and New York, but that isn't a large amount by any stretch of the imagination. Then there's the whole issue of dealing with yet another completely separate transit agency, one that actually sucks more than ours.

As for the various NYC-area modes of mass transit, I wouldn't be surprised if the end-goal is to create one homogenous mode of payment across the system, much like the MetroCard was advertised to be in the '90s regarding city transit. OMNY is supposed to be rolled out on the railroads eventually and if DeBlasio gets his head out of his ass, they'll be used on the NYC Ferry network as well to eliminate that current double fare issue for ferry users that need a bus to get to their final destinations.

9 minutes ago, Lance said:

While there may be a market for this, I can't imagine it's that large where the costs of expanding the payment system that far outside of the NYC metro area will be offset by the benefits of it. I'm aware of the super commuters that travel between Philadelphia and New York, but that isn't a large amount by any stretch of the imagination. Then there's the whole issue of dealing with yet another completely separate transit agency, one that actually sucks more than ours.

As for the various NYC-area modes of mass transit, I wouldn't be surprised if the end-goal is to create one homogenous mode of payment across the system, much like the MetroCard was advertised to be in the '90s regarding city transit. OMNY is supposed to be rolled out on the railroads eventually and if DeBlasio gets his head out of his ass, they'll be used on the NYC Ferry network as well to eliminate that current double fare issue for ferry users that need a bus to get to their final destinations.

I still can't believe how the fare is $2.75 yet theres no transfer given to the subway or bus...that makes no sense.

Listen, @Lance, I'm just throwing ideas.

Nothing more. If there is any possibility of attracting riders, to any system, then I say why not pose the question?

It's already known that fare integration can be a huge benefit. And many people do commute, via bus and/or train, from as far away as Philly.

Again, just throwing ideas.

On 3/9/2019 at 5:46 PM, Lawrence St said:

I still can't believe how the fare is $2.75 yet theres no transfer given to the subway or bus...that makes no sense.

1 hour ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Huh?

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

NYC ferry is $2.75 but there is no free transfers to the bus or subway.

Adding a free transfer would force the City to have to further subsidize ferry riders.  These things cost $$$$$. It is not free, that's why. Aside from that it may overburden the system.  They already have more demand than anticipated and have had to scramble to provide more ferry service.  This is an EXPENSIVE service to subsidize, but one that should be done, and expanded SLOWLY over time to control costs, otherwise the City risks having to get rid of the ferry again as it had to previously because the cost was too high to run the service. That's the issue here.  If the City had the money to further subsidize the ferry with free transfers, then they could add more money to fix the subways. Just saying...  If anything, the City needs to start reigning in its spending.  They have been spending BILLIONS more each year and if they don't start putting away money we could very well be back to seeing the City in the 70s when NYC went BROKE.  All it takes is a recession.  The City is already taxing the hell out of us as it is, pushing more and more people to FLEE to places with lower taxes. When you have fewer people to tax.... Guess what... There's less money for such programs like the ferry, and other things.

• 1 month later...

On 3/9/2019 at 5:36 PM, Lance said:

NYC Ferries are different, but it would be nice if OMNY introduce on ferry with free transfer to bus/subway/SIR.

Currently NYC Ferries only give transfer to ferry routes within 90 minutes.

My (unpopular) opinion is that ferries should never get a free transfer to the rest of the network. Not only would the agency difference lead to political issues, but they are so heavily subsidized that it would be a disaster for taxpayers. Pretty much everyone who lives near them is also rich enough to pay for two or three fares (the ferry should get a $6.75 fare since it’s a premium service).