BREAKING NEWS: MTA won’t raise base subway fare, will eliminate MetroCard bonus: report

Via Garibaldi 8

MTA won’t raise base subway fare, will eliminate MetroCard bonus: report

The agency’s board is set to vote on the latest round of fare hikes this week

By Amy Plitt@plitter  Feb 25, 2019, 9:30am EST

shutterstock_1039529674.0.jpg

Shutterstock

The MTA’s board is due to vote (finally) on the next round of subway fare hikes this week, but in advance of that meeting, the New York Daily News has the scoop on what commuters can expect.

According to the Daily News’s sources, the MTA plans to eliminate the pay-per-ride bonus on MetroCards—which gives riders a five percent bump when they add $5.50 or more to a card—but keep the base fare of $2.75 across subways and buses.

That’s in line with one of two options the agency had originally proposed for increasing New York City transit fares: Either raise the base fare to $3 (and $3.25 for a single-ride ticket), or leave the base fare alone while eliminating the MetroCard bonus.

What isn’t clear, however, is what will happen to unlimited MetroCards: In the MTA’s first scenario, they would get smaller increases (4.3 percent), and in the second, they’d get a full 5 percent increase, to $127/month. Weekly unlimited passes will go up by a comparatively modest $1—from $32 to $33—in either scenario.

The MTA’s board was due to vote on these fare hikes in January, but tabled the vote amid pushback from transit and disability advocates (who fought against raising the base fare because it would negatively impact users of the agency’s Access-a-Ride service), along with Gov. Andrew Cuomo. The board said the vote delay would give its members more time to look at alternative ways of raising much-needed revenue without burdening straphangers.

In other MTA fare news, the agency quietly rolled out the branding for its new contactless payment system, which will soon be implemented at select subway stops. It’ll be known as OMNY—which stands for “One Metro New York”—and will bring tap-and-go tech to stops along the 4/5/6 (between Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and Grand Central-42nd Street) starting in May.

Source: https://ny.curbed.com/2019/2/25/18239588/mta-fare-hikes-subway-price-increase?fbclid=IwAR0YLqctjxpyFM57Zj__c4JiCOkn9cdjk4qr4VmyQP5AqvS7vp75mtUh-_4

Just now, Missabassie said:

They'd best leave the express bus fare alone, $6.50 is more than it should be.

Well they got an earful from me at the CSI about the fare hike. I was livid, as I was in Wednesday's meeting with the DOT and the (MTA) .  Certainly not the time to be raising the fare. As I told them, we are facing a transportation crisis.

4 minutes ago, OIG119 said:

Kind of disappointed they're eliminating the bonus, but it's not the worst thing to happen.

Does it bother anyone else that in the stock photo they're using the MetroCard is being inserted the wrong way into the MVM?

In the overall scheme of things, not really, but maybe he is receiving the Metrocard and not inserting it...

The Daily News caption made me laugh.

MANHATTAN - NY - FEB. 24, 2019 - NYC Transit President Andy Byford chat with a unidentified Toll Both Operator at the Fulton Center in downtown Manhattan before a press conference where he outlined statistics showing a dramatic subway performance improvements. (Luiz C. Ribeiro for New York Daily News)

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-mta-fare-hikes-20190224-story.html

I think with this proposal, the effective fare of thee express bus would rise further than if the bonus was left with the base fare going up.  The base fare of the express bus would become $7 flat.  Meanwhile if they voted for the bonus plan, it would be a $7.25 express bus fare but the effective fare would be $6.59 when using a bonus pay-per-ride card.

It's just going to be a lot more expensive for us now...no way to slice this.

30 minutes ago, 7-express said:

I think with this proposal, the effective fare of thee express bus would rise further than if the bonus was left with the base fare going up.  The base fare of the express bus would become $7 flat.  Meanwhile if they voted for the bonus plan, it would be a $7.25 express bus fare but the effective fare would be $6.59 when using a bonus pay-per-ride card.

It's just going to be a lot more expensive for us now...no way to slice this.

You always get some weird amount with the base fare anyway that they keep at some point so why bother?  I'd rather have an amount on the card that I know will be used and finished.  When we get info from the (MTA) we'll post here.  

1 minute ago, N6 Limited said:

Is anyone going to max out their card before the bonus elimination?

I have a permanent 3 cents on my card that will exist there until the end of time. Not wasting time on another bonus ever again. I'll just be that guy that pays $5 for one trip and repeat the way back.

6 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I have a permanent 3 cents on my card that will exist there until the end of time. Not wasting time on another bonus ever again. I'll just be that guy that pays $5 for one trip and repeat the way back.

They have fare calculators to tell you how much to add to the card for values with no "left overs".

24 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Welp....express bus riders get the short end of the stick as usual with a 9% effective hike.

Only because the bonus went away, but I think a $.25 increase versus $.50 - 75 is better for sure.  On the pass it went up to $2.50.  I can swallow that. One thing we are going to be pushing for is to have these fare hikes tied to service improvements.

4 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

They should really cap the break-even point for the monthly at 40 rides. (4 weeks of 2 trips 5 days a week.)

No, some people use it more than 2 times, especially if you work those delivery jobs. They should have just raised it to $3. 

It's not fair that subway and bus riders get a break while regular people who use lirr,MNRR, Express buses and tolls gotta get hit hard. Especially if they're doing the fair fares program, meaning they're even paying less than $2.75 (50% of that) while the city pays the difference. 

3 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

No, some people use it more than 2 times, especially if you work those delivery jobs. They should have just raised it to $3. 

It's not fair that subway and bus riders get a break while regular people who use lirr,MNRR, Express buses and tolls gotta get hit hard. Especially if they're doing the fair fares program, meaning they're even paying less than $2.75 (50% of that) while the city pays the difference. 

Fair Fares is paid for out of city coffers. When Suffolk, Nassau and Westchester stump up they can offer discounted fares too!

The entire goddamn point of an unlimited is supposed to be a deal. It should be a deal for commuters, and at 44 or 47 rides it is anything but.

10 hours ago, P3F said:

The monthly pass is inching closer and closer to being not worth the money they want for it.

Definitely getting to the point where even the convenience of not having to budget swipes by getting unlimited is outweighing the cost of paying $2.75 every time - especially since I'm not taking two buses and a train daily.

But for the life of me I can't figure out where all this fare revenue is going, nor why they're not pricing fares to break even.

13 hours ago, P3F said:

The monthly pass is inching closer and closer to being not worth the money they want for it.

I remember when it was $63 :(

5 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I wonder if the Atlantic Ticket will be left alone

4 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

I remember when it was $63 :(

I wonder if the Atlantic Ticket will be left alone

They really should not touch the Atlantic...if they are serious about congestion pricing, they need to get people within NYC to use the existing extra capacity in LIRR instead of adding more riders to the subway, so they should make LIRR as enticing as possible...but knowing MTA, they will jack up the price anyway

Archived