BREAKING NEWS: MTA won’t raise base subway fare, will eliminate MetroCard bonus: report

Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Sure, but it doesn't make sense to spend money when you don't have a secure funding source... They waste enough money as it is.  Focus on the service first. This is not paramount.

I agree. But since they’re focusing on fare evasion as if it’s going to solve every problem, they may as well do it right the first time.

Especially since if someone hops the turnstile and NYPD has to chase, now the trains are stopped because they’re in the tunnels over $2.75.

36 minutes ago, Deucey said:

I agree. But since they’re focusing on fare evasion as if it’s going to solve every problem, they may as well do it right the first time.

Especially since if someone hops the turnstile and NYPD has to chase, now the trains are stopped because they’re in the tunnels over $2.75.

Yeah, but they haven’t been going after people in the first place, which is the real problem.

On 3/27/2019 at 5:52 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, but they haven’t been going after people in the first place, which is the real problem.

Police are expensive. Prosecuting people is expensive. In comparison fixing the turnstiles would be much cheaper, because it's a one-and-done investment (as opposed to, say, paying full police benefits for more officers to do this work)

We eventually need to replace the turnstiles anyways so why not. MTA  and the NYPD probably have an idea where fare bearing is most prevalent and start from there. 

Buses on the other hand need to be all proof of purchase or a $500 fine. 

I heard 20% of the passengers on the bus don’t pay their fares. I find that utterly ridiculous especially if they are raising MY fare again this year.